Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Do not remove Shift Pivot Screw

I have a 1991 40hp Johnson Tracker boat. My friend was changing the
oil in the lower unit last Fall while I was doing something else... my
first mistake. Anyways, long story short he took out the shift pivot
screw instead of the drain plug.

After reading a few postings, I believe I need to remove the lower unit
to reinstall the shift rod arm to the gear shaft coupling. My friend
said he did not hear anything when he removed the screw (like the rod
dropping). Is this something a novice with some handy man intelligence
should attempt or should I truck the boat 40 miles to the nearest
dealer. Any pointers if I do attempt this repair job? Is there a
chance the I can just reinsert the screw and everything will be fine.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.