Melandre

Default Readdy to install FF today. Need final advise regarding its location on transom

Off today so could time to finally install this fishfinder! Based on
the followig pictu

http://members.shaw.ca/cabin164/photos/fflocation.jpg

I can either put the fishfinder at positions which I marked A or B.
I think B would be a perfect spot EXCEPT for the fact that, when it is
time to put the boat on the trailer and the end of the trailer is
underwater, there is a pretty good chance that eventually the
transducer would make contact with the (don't know what it is called)
"boat support beam" of the trailer (see how close it is). In theory,
this should not ocur if the boat follows the designated grooves created
by the side beams but ofen when it is still floating the back move side
to side until it eventually settles into the grooves.

So I am thinking A which is closer to the leg but I tried turning the
wheel all the way and the wires don't seem to touch the transducer
support bracket. Any obvious concern(s) with A that I might have
overlooked?

What do you people think? TIA ! Andre

JimH

"Melandre" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Position "A" is too close to the outdrive and prop and may result in poor
readings.

"B" seems to be a better position to me.

JimH

"Melandre" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

"James" wrote in message
nk.net...
All the water disturbance created by the prop goes from the prop back.
Think about it, the boat is moving forward. The pickup shoots down.

That's not what Hummingbird said when I installed my depthsounder and
transducer on my boat:

From http://www.humminbird.com/images/PDF/hdr600.pdf (page 5)
"As a boat moves through the water, turbulence is generated by the weight of
he boat, and the thrust of the propeller(s). This turbulent water is
normally confined in areas immediately aft of ribs, strakes, and in the
immediate area of the propeller(s). It is very important to locate the
transducer in an area which is relatively free of turbulent water. If the
prop(s) are forward of the transom, it may be impossible to find an area
clear from turbulence, and a different mounting technique should be
considered. On outboard or inboard/outboard boats it is best to stay at
least 15" to the side of the propeller(s)."

Bishoop

"Melandre" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Investigate shooting through the hull instead of mounting on the transom.

Melandre

I don't think I can go through the hull because this would require a
different transducer I think. Don't want to spend more money that I
have to.

Yes, my initial reaction was that even with position A (closer to the
prop) it was probably far enough to (and in front of) the prop so that
disturbances may not play a big factor. But perhaps it is more
important than we think. Maybe I should play it safe and stick to B
location?

Note that I do not plan to use the FF much at high speed. What is
important to me is to get a decent reading at low speed (say while
trolling or trying to figure out depth to drop a crab trap). Cheers
and thanks for all the input so far! Andre

JohnH

On 8 Apr 2006 11:13:16 -0700, "Melandre" wrote:

I don't think I can go through the hull because this would require a
different transducer I think. Don't want to spend more money that I
have to.

Yes, my initial reaction was that even with position A (closer to the
prop) it was probably far enough to (and in front of) the prop so that
disturbances may not play a big factor. But perhaps it is more
important than we think. Maybe I should play it safe and stick to B
location?

Note that I do not plan to use the FF much at high speed. What is
important to me is to get a decent reading at low speed (say while
trolling or trying to figure out depth to drop a crab trap). Cheers
and thanks for all the input so far! Andre

I would put it at location b. If you're afraid the rail on the trailer is
going to hit it, move the boat back an inch. There is no reason for those
rails to extend beyond the transom.
--
'Til next time,

John H