tillius

Default info on '69 Pacemaker TriCabin

I'm thinking about this purchase of a 34' 69 Pacemaker TriCabin. Boat
looks really sharp and clean. Interior is nice. Exterior topside could
use some touch up paint but generally looks to be in good condition.
dual 318s with about 420 hours on them since rebuild.

I was getting transport quotes and this one guy asked what I was paying

for it. He then said let me work up a price to transport and get back
to you.

He called back with a quote that was twice what the other 4 transport
companies quoted then told me this particular boat make/model had a
problem with ribs breaking the planks developed lots of leaks and
recommended I not purchase it.

A few moments later, he called back and asked me for the name of the
person selling the boat.... hmmmmm

I didn't give him that info, but I'm wondering if he's trying to scoop
the purchase on me or if he was being straight about the hulls
proneness to leaks/rib issues?

Does anyone here have experience with these Pacemaker tricabins of
similar vintage? (1969)

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Till

tillius wrote:
[...]

As that old time car commercial used to say, "Ask the man who owns one"

Try he

http://www.pacemakerboatowners.org/

UglyDan®©™

Take a close look at the sides of the rear cabin and where the flybridge
meet, Thats the first place you'll find rot on a Pace tri,
The Pace tricabin is a heavy (plywood cabin) boat built on a lightly
framed hull, besides any large wood boat I've ever seen (and owned) has
always opened the seams one place or another after transport, Especially
along the garboard areas. UD

N.L. Eckert

Till wrote:
[...]
==================================
I boated for a number of years with a friend that had a '65 32 ft.
Pacemaker. We used to joke that soon he would have so much Git Rot in
it that he could call it a fiberglass boat. It tended to dry rot in
the upper parts very badly. He replaced about 50% of the transom
because of rot.
This is in the Great Lakes, so dry rot seems to be more prevalent than
in salt water. A surveyor told me that Pacemakers went downhill when
C.P. Leeks sons took over the company. Said they compromised on the
quality of the lumber they used. These are carvell planked bulls and
take a lot of caulking and soaking when they're launched. I would get a
very tough survey on this one were I you.

Good luck, Norm

JR North

No pics of Pacemakers anywhere on the site. I suppose I could plod
through all the forums and hope I run into a post with a link. Oh well,
I suppose the owners know what they look like; they sure don't care to
share it with visitors to the site.....
JR
who likes to look at the pictures.

wrote:

[...]