darenGR

Default AQ271 will burn UNLEADED gas without valve lubricating additives?

Hello,
as much as I have searched in sites and groups, I did not get a
specific answer as to whether a Volvo AQ271 engine, built around
1989-1990 will safely burn unleaded. Here is why:

1. volvo appendum to the owner's manual (downloaded from their site)
says this should be used on low leaded fuel.
2. mercruiser fuel reccomendation on their site, for the same block
(5.7liters, or 350 ci) suggests (if newer than 1987) unleaded without
additives.(my guess, after a lot of reading they are the same GM
blocks).

Here in Greece, lead-substitute gas is about 10% higher priced than
unleaded (normally 95+ octanes).

I am trying to find out, because I am considering buying such an engine
on a Sea Ray 250 (1990 model), but I have no access at the exact serial
number yet (boat is remotely located).

RayB

I had a Volvo I/O set up in my 1985 Bayliner Trophy (which recently was
crushed when the barn collapsed during a severe wind storm). When leaded
fuel became unavailable I used a "lead substitute" for a while. However,
upon very close reading of the manual I found that the use of unleaded fuel
was permissable without problem. The engine was a 305c.i. V-8, 225 HP, and
the outdrive was a Volvo 270. (If memory serves me, the manual referenced
AQ 271.)

As the insurance company settled (quite fairly!), I no longer have the boat
nor the manual, but I am quite sure of the content regarding the fuel.

Ray

"darenGR" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Many thanks for your reply, Ray.
This is engine is a bit larger, produces around 270-275 HP. I wonder
what fuel do people use on all those gas engines around 1988-89, where
unleaded started to become common. THis 350ci block was in production
from 1987 to 1995 (Mercruiser site). Maybe some serials number have
indeed the hardened exhaust valve seats, and some not. This is what I
am trying to find out...

Greatings,
Dimitris.

darenGR wrote:
Many thanks for your reply, Ray.
This is engine is a bit larger, produces around 270-275 HP. I wonder
what fuel do people use on all those gas engines around 1988-89, where
unleaded started to become common. THis 350ci block was in production
from 1987 to 1995 (Mercruiser site). Maybe some serials number have
indeed the hardened exhaust valve seats, and some not. This is what I
am trying to find out...

Greatings,
Dimitris.

i think that un-leaded fuel should be fine in those years. seeing that
un-leaded was just about a mandatory by 1978 and event though boats
were exempt, by the time your years have come around, the marine
industry was pretty well set up for un leaded fuels.

I really don't think you'll have a problem.

Tim