JimH

Default An engineering marvel

A water bridge for boats built over a river. Pretty amazing!

http://www.funonthenet.in/content/view/223/31/

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,990878,00.html

JimH

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
A water bridge for boats built over a river. Pretty amazing!

http://www.funonthenet.in/content/view/223/31/

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,990878,00.html

Pic: http://www.funonthenet.in/images/sto...aterbridge.jpg

tak

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
A water bridge for boats built over a river. Pretty amazing!

http://www.funonthenet.in/content/view/223/31/

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,990878,00.html
Google NYS Erie Canal (1 version) for examples nearer to home.

Don White

tak wrote:
" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

A water bridge for boats built over a river. Pretty amazing!

http://www.funonthenet.in/content/view/223/31/

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,990878,00.html
Google NYS Erie Canal (1 version) for examples nearer to home.

Can you imagine the weight of bridge structure, water & boats.
I wouldn't want to spend too much time under it.
basskisser

Don White wrote:
tak wrote:
" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

A water bridge for boats built over a river. Pretty amazing!

http://www.funonthenet.in/content/view/223/31/

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,990878,00.html
Google NYS Erie Canal (1 version) for examples nearer to home.

Can you imagine the weight of bridge structure, water & boats.
I wouldn't want to spend too much time under it.

Nah, I'd stay under it all day. It's not really that bad. For one
thing, the water (the heaviest element) is a totally uniform load,
meaning it's spread out over the entire surface, not a point load,
plus, it's static not dynamic. Now, there is some tremendous loading
going on, but it's all very easily accounted for, nothing abnormal
going on.

Dan J.S.

"Don White" wrote in message
tak wrote:
" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

A water bridge for boats built over a river. Pretty amazing!

http://www.funonthenet.in/content/view/223/31/

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,990878,00.html
Google NYS Erie Canal (1 version) for examples nearer to home.

Can you imagine the weight of bridge structure, water & boats.
I wouldn't want to spend too much time under it.

boat adds absolutely no weight to this bridge... physics 101

Bert Robbins

Don White wrote:
tak wrote:
" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

A water bridge for boats built over a river. Pretty amazing!

http://www.funonthenet.in/content/view/223/31/

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,990878,00.html
Google NYS Erie Canal (1 version) for examples nearer to home.

Can you imagine the weight of bridge structure, water & boats.
I wouldn't want to spend too much time under it.

Theoretically, the weight of the water and boats is a constant. What varies
is the people walking across or standing on the bridge.

Jim,

JimH wrote:
A water bridge for boats built over a river. Pretty amazing!

http://www.funonthenet.in/content/view/223/31/

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,990878,00.html

BFD -- The Erie Canal had one of these in 1836 over the Genesee river

http://tinyurl.com/l55qb
http://tinyurl.com/keff4
tak

"tak" wrote in message

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
A water bridge for boats built over a river. Pretty amazing!

http://www.funonthenet.in/content/view/223/31/

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,990878,00.html
Google NYS Erie Canal (1 version) for examples nearer to home.

Here is the URL with a drawing of the Aqueduct over the Genesee River (Still
in use as the Broad Street Bridge. The Upper deck is the "street" and the
lower deck is the (now idle) original aqueduct.

http://www.nycanal.com/nycanalhistory.html

tak

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
A water bridge for boats built over a river. Pretty amazing!

http://www.funonthenet.in/content/view/223/31/

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,990878,00.html

http://www.nycanal.com/canaltour/mapindex.html
Another aqueduct, in Palmyra, (hometown) lots of summer fishing here as a
kid. Apparently, hydraulic engineering back in the early 1800's, wasn't up
to task of controlling natural streams and the canal, hence the numerous
devices to keep the waters separate.