William Andersen

Default design a trailer

What would you look for if you were buying a trailer?

I've got a 19' bow rider with a 3 liter MerCruiser sterndrive that I bought
new in 1998; it's the last boat I'll own until I win the lottery and buy a
flotilla of assorted boats.

Rather than replace everything on the original galvanized Escort trailer
that's been showing its age for more than a year, I'm thinking of a new
trailer.

I've pretty much decided on a galvanized trailer (bunks, not rollers) with
disc brakes, brake flush kit, LEDs for lighting, spare tire holder with
spare tire, Super Lube or Turbo Lube bearings, fenders and swiveling tongue
jack.

I don't have a need for guides and I may add bunk slicks/glide ons to the
bunks.

I boat mostly in salt water, a couple of times a week.

So, what did I forget, what would you add?

http://members.cox.net/wgander/MyBoat.htm

Don White

William Andersen wrote:
[...]

I've been thinking of a new galvanized trailer for my sailboat for a
while now.
My priorities;
galvanized
bunks
extra long , hinged tongue. (so I can avoid putting vehicle rear wheels
in salt water and I want to park boat/trailer in garage for winter)
Proper suspension..(2000 lb capacity for 1200-1400 lb boat + motor)
extra wheel mounted on trailer winch bracket
brakes??? jury is still out for this size boat... but would make sure
brakes are ss type.
Why replace a trailer only 8 years old? Mine is 20 this year and my
biggest concern is that it is enameled steel previously used in freshwater.
William Andersen

I can already see rust on the outside so I'm concerned how much rust may be
on the inside of the tubes, where I can't see it. Most of the nuts and bolts
are rusted, so replacing anything will mean sawing/grinding away the nuts
and bolts. I could replace everything and I still have a rusting, eight year
old trailer.

"Don White" wrote in message

William Andersen wrote:

[...]

Wish I lived close to you. I'd take that old rusted trailer off your hands.