Jens_Erik

Default How to change manifolds and risers on an OMC V8

I am purchasing a used 1988 boat with OMC V8 FWC engine also 1988 and
would like to start off with brand new manifolds and risers. But I have
not done this before. Has
anyone done the changing themselves, or is this a job best left to the
boatyard/mechanics? Any experiences, positive or negative, doing
this job will be appreciated.
Thanks
Jens-Erik

Netsock

On 16 Mar 2006 07:31:39 -0800, "Jens_Erik"
wrote:

I am purchasing a used 1988 boat with OMC V8 FWC engine also 1988 and
would like to start off with brand new manifolds and risers. But I have
not done this before. Has
anyone done the changing themselves, or is this a job best left to the
boatyard/mechanics? Any experiences, positive or negative, doing
this job will be appreciated.
Thanks
Jens-Erik

Depends on you mechanical ability, but I would consider this job
"semi-easy" on the scale.

Disassembly is a breeze. Simply...

1. Remove the exhaust rubber "pipes".
2. Remove rubber water inlet hoses.
3. Remove risers from the manifolds.
4. Remove manifolds from block.

Assembly is where some care is needed. You didn't say why you were
doing this, but if the parts are new, you need not worry much. (if you
were replacing the same, or used units, you MUST verify warpage with a
straight edge). Just make sure all surfaces are clean and free of any
oil and debris, make sure all gaskets line up correctly, and since it
appears this is work you don't normally do, I would recommend a torque
wrench to ensure proper tightening. Reverse procedure above for
assembly.

Good luck.
__

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."

http://home.columbus.rr.com/ckg/
Capt John

It's not a difficult job, but the manifolds are heavy. It's best if you
work with another friend, two is even better, and install the risers
after the manifolds are on the engine, less weight and in some cases it
makes it easier to get at the bolts. If the engine and manifolds are
fresh water cooled you may not need to replace the manifolds, they last
a long time if fresh water cooled, just replaceing the risers should be
good enought. Check the hoses to the risers while your at it, they may
be worn, this might be the best time to do those as well, fresh hoses
are usually more flexable and much easier to get on the risers than the
old ones. Replace the hose clamps on the risers as well, it's best to
use the "T" clamp style on the exhaust hoses, they last forever (not
quite, but close) but make sure you get the right size.

John

trainfan1

Jens_Erik wrote:

I am purchasing a used 1988 boat with OMC V8 FWC engine also 1988 and
would like to start off with brand new manifolds and risers. But I have
not done this before. Has
anyone done the changing themselves, or is this a job best left to the
boatyard/mechanics? Any experiences, positive or negative, doing
this job will be appreciated.
Thanks
Jens-Erik

Do they really need replacement?

Chevy or Ford? If it's a Chevrolet, I would consider looking into
"Stainless Marine" brand stanless exhaust components. Cost a little
more, but weigh a lot less and breathe much better.

It's pretty straight forward to do the job - tough part is the weight of
iron manifolds in a confined working space makes them somewhat unwieldy.

Rob
James

Dissassembly can be a pain depending on how rusted things are. You really
don't want to break off a bolt in the head. If you have time start soaking
things down with wd40 days in advance.

"Jens_Erik" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am purchasing a used 1988 boat with OMC V8 FWC engine also 1988 and
would like to start off with brand new manifolds and risers. But I have
not done this before. Has
anyone done the changing themselves, or is this a job best left to the
boatyard/mechanics? Any experiences, positive or negative, doing
this job will be appreciated.
Thanks
Jens-Erik

CalifBill

"James" wrote in message
link.net...
Dissassembly can be a pain depending on how rusted things are. You really
don't want to break off a bolt in the head. If you have time start
soaking things down with wd40 days in advance.

"Jens_Erik" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am purchasing a used 1988 boat with OMC V8 FWC engine also 1988 and
would like to start off with brand new manifolds and risers. But I have
not done this before. Has
anyone done the changing themselves, or is this a job best left to the
boatyard/mechanics? Any experiences, positive or negative, doing
this job will be appreciated.
Thanks
Jens-Erik

Forget WD-40. Use either PB Blaster or "Hydrogen Peroxide".

Wayne.B

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:03:37 GMT, "CalifBill"
wrote:

Forget WD-40. Use either PB Blaster or "Hydrogen Peroxide".

Or Aero Kroil.

I've met a few expert mechhanics who swear by it.

Compared to Kroil, WD-40 just gets in the way.

thunder

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:07:48 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

Or Aero Kroil.

I've met a few expert mechhanics who swear by it.

And some non-expert mechanics. ;-) I don't think it's sold retail,
though. So:

http://www.kanolabs.com/
Jens_Erik

Thanks for all your replies.
The parts are new and genuine OMC parts.
I am doing this as a preventive/maintenance percussion.
It sounds like there is not much to it and I will get a couple of
friends to help me. They have some experience in the area as they have
had boats for years.

What about flushing kits, What are your experiences as to how the
easiest way to flush with after use?
Jens-Erik