JimH

Default OT For you digital media fans

I found this nice review of blank DVD media and thought it might be helpful
for some of you.

Of course we all know that we only burn copies of our favorite movies when
we own the movie and want to have a backup. ;-)

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

I always had good luck with Sony and TDK. Being the tightwad I am, I wait
to buy a supply till they are on sale.

Reggie Smithers

I have been looking at new computers and thinking about using the PC for
both the office and Home Media Center (ie using their PC to watch and
record TV, store Music etc.)

From what I can see you can keep the CPU in the home office and use a
remote to hook the system up to your TV and Tuner.

Has anyone started to combine the computer with your Entertainment Center?

--
Reggie

"That's my story and I am sticking to it."
Bill Kearney

Has anyone started to combine the computer with your Entertainment Center?

Uh, yeah, for over 5 years now. Search on 'htpc' or 'home theatre PC' to
edumacate yourself on the topic.

Reggie Smithers

Bill Kearney wrote:
Has anyone started to combine the computer with your Entertainment Center?

Uh, yeah, for over 5 years now. Search on 'htpc' or 'home theatre PC' to
edumacate yourself on the topic.

Bill,
Do you use a IR receiver or do you have the computer hardwired to the TV
and Tuner?
--
Reggie

"That's my story and I am sticking to it."
Bill Kearney

Uh, yeah, for over 5 years now. Search on 'htpc' or 'home theatre PC'
edumacate yourself on the topic.

Do you use a IR receiver or do you have the computer hardwired to the TV
and Tuner?

See above edumacate comment. STFW.

One doesn't hardwire connect a TV to the PC or Tuner, at least not for
control. Nearly NO televisions and precious few tuners have any sort of
wired control connections that work reliably. There are a few like
Control-S from Sony but the cost of interfaces for them end up making them
not worth it. There are plenty of IR receivers and emitters. The usb-uirt
does a fine job.

I'd guess this thread is better suited to a forum other that rec.boats, try
alt.home-theatre.misc, comp.home.automation or a website like avsforums.

basskisser

Reggie Smithers wrote:
I have been looking at new computers and thinking about using the PC for
both the office and Home Media Center (ie using their PC to watch and
record TV, store Music etc.)

From what I can see you can keep the CPU in the home office and use a
remote to hook the system up to your TV and Tuner.

Has anyone started to combine the computer with your Entertainment Center?

--
Reggie

"That's my story and I am sticking to it."

I have. So far, so good. My computer and TV interact well, and I do
have the new windows media center.

Reggie Smithers

basskisser wrote:
Reggie Smithers wrote:
I have been looking at new computers and thinking about using the PC for
both the office and Home Media Center (ie using their PC to watch and
record TV, store Music etc.)

From what I can see you can keep the CPU in the home office and use a
remote to hook the system up to your TV and Tuner.

Has anyone started to combine the computer with your Entertainment Center?

--
Reggie

"That's my story and I am sticking to it."

I have. So far, so good. My computer and TV interact well, and I do
have the new windows media center.

Do you have the TV and the Computer hard wired, or do you use a wireless
network?

--
Reggie

"That's my story and I am sticking to it."
Doug Kanter

"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message
I have been looking at new computers and thinking about using the PC for
both the office and Home Media Center (ie using their PC to watch and
record TV, store Music etc.)

From what I can see you can keep the CPU in the home office and use a
remote to hook the system up to your TV and Tuner.

Has anyone started to combine the computer with your Entertainment Center?

Make sure your new machine has a sound card with LINE LEVEL outputs, in case
you just want to run an audio signal to your stereo system, and deal with
remote control issues later. It is NOT recommended to run headphone output
signal to a stereo, no matter what anyone tells you.

Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist Mule General 0 December 19th 05 01:01 PM
Media Bias on the war Mule General 23 December 16th 05 10:40 PM
For Digital SLR users... RG General 7 October 18th 05 04:05 PM