RCE

Default Yo yo yo - RCE...

You bought that Tom-Tom GPS system right?

What's your personal opinion?

I like it. Easy to use and very intuitive once you learn the basics.
I use the cheapie - TomTom 300 (I think) with the SD memory card.

I just bought Mrs.E. the TomTom 700 with the mini hard disk drive. She
loves it.

It's a great little GPS - probably similar to the similarly priced Garmin,
but the TomTom has a bit of a sense of humor to it. You can program things
like fuel stations within a programmable distance and assign it a sound. I
use a cow, going MOOOOOO.....

I used it to travel to Norfolk last week. It walked me right up to the
front door of my kid's house on a government housing development.

Has a few quirks, but nothing that common sense does not correct.

RCE

RCE

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:30:13 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

. ..
You bought that Tom-Tom GPS system right?

What's your personal opinion?

I like it. Easy to use and very intuitive once you learn the basics.
I use the cheapie - TomTom 300 (I think) with the SD memory card.

I just bought Mrs.E. the TomTom 700 with the mini hard disk drive. She
loves it.

It's a great little GPS - probably similar to the similarly priced Garmin,
but the TomTom has a bit of a sense of humor to it. You can program
things
like fuel stations within a programmable distance and assign it a sound.
use a cow, going MOOOOOO.....

I used it to travel to Norfolk last week. It walked me right up to the
front door of my kid's house on a government housing development.

Has a few quirks, but nothing that common sense does not correct.

What's the start up time? And when it looses lock, how long does it
take to reacquire the signals?

Start up is basically instantaneous. It has a built in battery and I just
leave it plugged into the power outlet of my truck all the time to keep it
charged. I shut it off, but it's still "on". It usually takes about 30
seconds or less to get six or seven sat locks when you turn it on. When
going thru a tunnel with no sat signal, it will keep running for 30 seconds,
then turn black and white, meaning no signal. When you emerge from the
tunnel it locks on again within about 5 seconds.

It's also a touch screen, BTW. I like it because it really doesn't distract
from driving to play around with it. Also, it's totally portable, so you
can move it from vehicle to vehicle with little fuss. When I park at a
shopping center or whatever, you push a little button and the whole rig
unplugs from the base and you can store it in the glove compartment or
whatever. It has many features of higher priced terra firma GPS systems,
including restaurant listings, etc. It also has a daytime and nighttime
display that is kinda nice.

Good unit, and fun to use.

RCE

RCE

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:30:13 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

. ..
You bought that Tom-Tom GPS system right?

What's your personal opinion?

Forgot to mention .... It also has several "voices" for driving instructions
ranging from male US english, female US english, UK english, male and
female, plus Australian, Japanese, and several others.

I have mine programmed to give me driving instructions in female Italian.
Feels right at home.

RCE

Dan Krueger

RCE wrote:

You bought that Tom-Tom GPS system right?

What's your personal opinion?

I like it. Easy to use and very intuitive once you learn the basics.
I use the cheapie - TomTom 300 (I think) with the SD memory card.

I just bought Mrs.E. the TomTom 700 with the mini hard disk drive. She
loves it.

It's a great little GPS - probably similar to the similarly priced Garmin,
but the TomTom has a bit of a sense of humor to it. You can program things
like fuel stations within a programmable distance and assign it a sound. I
use a cow, going MOOOOOO.....

I used it to travel to Norfolk last week. It walked me right up to the
front door of my kid's house on a government housing development.

Has a few quirks, but nothing that common sense does not correct.

RCE

How do they handle updates? Free or by subscription?

Dan
RCE

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
nk.net...
RCE wrote:

[...]

I think .... they are free for a year, but don't hold me to that. You get a
card - like a credit card - and the GPS somehow will connect to your cell
phone (bluetooth?). There are other travel services you can subscribe to.
I haven't used any of this yet and probably never will. It's interesting
though - when I first bought it back in November, I tried entering my son's
address in Norfolk and it didn't have the street name in the stored memory.
I assumed this was because it is a military housing area. Yet, when I drove
to his house from Florida that month, it showed the road on the display.
Last week when I drove down there again I tried putting his address in as a
destination before I left and it recognized it and calculated a route right
to his front door. How it updated the data, I have no idea.

Those that are looking for a heavy duty sophisticated GPS system won't be
satisfied with the TomTom. It's beauty is it's simplicity and ease of use.
You can set it for a "3D" display or a "2D" and display the map in several
orientations.... North up, direction of travel, etc.

RCE

JohnH

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 01:09:30 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
ink.net...
RCE wrote:

[...]

Did you mount it to your windshield? Is it removable and remountable in
another auto?
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
thunder

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:07:18 -0500, JohnH wrote:

Did you mount it to your windshield? Is it removable and remountable in
another auto?

Just to make you aware, in some states, mounting anything to your
windshield, or your rear-view mirror, is a ticket, impairing driver's
vision, or some such nonsense.
JohnH

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:42:40 -0500, thunder wrote:

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:07:18 -0500, JohnH wrote:

Did you mount it to your windshield? Is it removable and remountable in
another auto?

Just to make you aware, in some states, mounting anything to your
windshield, or your rear-view mirror, is a ticket, impairing driver's
vision, or some such nonsense.

The thing comes with a windshield mount, which is why I was asking. After
going back to the site I see its a suction cup mount which would indicate
its removable.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

JohnH

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 11:00:49 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
.. .

Did you mount it to your windshield? Is it removable and remountable in
another auto?
--
'Til next time,

John H