Mark Anderson

Default javelin 14 ft sailboat restoration

hi i'm craig and i'm restoring and old javelin 14 footer and need rudder
blade sizes to build a new one also trying to find plans for her decck lay
out i'm replacing the forward deck beams and deck at the moment would like
to talk with anyone who has more info or pics of this great sailboat cheers
craig

DSK

Mark Anderson wrote:

hi i'm craig and i'm restoring and old javelin 14 footer and need rudder
blade sizes to build a new one also trying to find plans for her decck lay
out i'm replacing the forward deck beams and deck at the moment would like
to talk with anyone who has more info or pics of this great sailboat cheers
craig

This doesn't have much detail on the rudder
http://www.homestead.com/javelinsailors/files/jav_4.gif

but it does show the profile & give a good idea of the size.
You really don't need a kick-up rudder, making them is
difficult and making them strong enough is something that
even the pros often fail at (when the rudder blade is kicked
up, the load on the upper section is tremendous). You could
make the whole thing out of 1" plywood, cutting a chamfer
around the immersed edges & then sanding it to a slightly
rounded section. Actually 3/4" would probably be strong enough.

Replacing deck beams sounds like a bit of a job.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anderson View Post
hi i'm craig and i'm restoring and old javelin 14 footer and need rudder
blade sizes to build a new one also trying to find plans for her decck lay
out i'm replacing the forward deck beams and deck at the moment would like
to talk with anyone who has more info or pics of this great sailboat cheers
craig
I have a 14ft Javelin pre 1970. About three years ago I broke the rudder's hardware in shallow water. Have not been able to locate replacement hardware. Then to make matters worse, had the boom and mast stolen from my back yard. I do still have the boat, so If I can help at all let me know.