posted to rec.boats.paddle
Michael Briggs

Default Hydraulic pump/motor Question

Have the need to put together a generator. Have a cat 3208 motor and allison
automatic with a pto output. The motor is the drive engine for a large
boat(stern wheel boat, 65 foot). I want to drive the gen head with the pto
through hydraulic pump, flow control valve, hydraulic motor to the head. The
head is a 12kw that needs 22 hp at 1800 rpm to run at full load. The motor
will run from idle to aprox 1000 to 1100 rpm for cruise speed. Have plenty
of extra hp to run the genset, only need aprox 85 hp to run boat at cruise
speed. The cat is rated at 225 hp. Would like to have some spare hydraulic
umph to also run a hydraulic controlled rudders. Won't take much for that.
Need to know what pump/motor/flowcontrol configuration I should look for to
make this work. Also, the pto unit has an air operated engage unit and the
genhead I was looking at has a field disconnect that could be coupled to the
tach to disconnect if rpm to low to drive the motor at the needed 1800 rpm.
I am pretty mechanically inclined and have no problem working on anything,
just don't have much experience with hydraulics and don't want to reinvent
the wheel if I don't have to. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Hanta-Yo-Yo

Michael Briggs wrote:
[...]

Since this is a group about boats that are paddled, and I am sure you
would not be posting here unless you paddle this boat, I expect that
this is one hell-ova-boat (65 foot)to paddle!

You might try rec.boats, though, since they deal with power boat
questions! HYY