Reggie Smithers

Default Just for Don

-rick- wrote:
RCE wrote:

I've watched it several times. I think we've been duped.

I'm not so sure...

1st - It seems strange to have all the professional sounding mixing of
the rest of the "band" and the video flashing to traffic lights, etc.
when the featured guitar player is shown sitting in his bedroom.

Band-in-a-box mixing/editing software is commonly available.

2nd - If you watch very carefully, there are a couple of sections
where he is playing on the lower part of the fretboard, yet you can
hear some harmonic notes several octaves higher than that possible on
the section of the fretboard that he is playing. This only happens a
couple of times.

Pinch harmonics. By plucking at a harmonic node and using a bit of
finger flesh the string will damp at the node and ring at the harmonic.
The tone setting and distortion can exaggerate it.

3rd - I think I've heard this performance before and suspect it is
Erik Clapton.

I don't think it's Eric's style, (slow hand...) more like Steve Vai or
Joe Satriani. Ever see the cheesy movie "Crossroads"?

-rick-

It is the Trans-Siberian Orchestra

http://www.trans-siberian.com/about/composers.shtml

--
Reggie

"That's my story and I am sticking to it."
RCE

"-rick-" wrote in message
. ..
RCE wrote:

I've watched it several times. I think we've been duped.

I'm not so sure...

1st - It seems strange to have all the professional sounding mixing of
the rest of the "band" and the video flashing to traffic lights, etc.
when the featured guitar player is shown sitting in his bedroom.

Band-in-a-box mixing/editing software is commonly available.

2nd - If you watch very carefully, there are a couple of sections where
he is playing on the lower part of the fretboard, yet you can hear some
harmonic notes several octaves higher than that possible on the section
of the fretboard that he is playing. This only happens a couple of
times.

Pinch harmonics. By plucking at a harmonic node and using a bit of finger
flesh the string will damp at the node and ring at the harmonic. The tone
setting and distortion can exaggerate it.

The sections I noticed are down towards the bottom of the neck.
My guitar playing skills are very limited, but I've experimented with doing
this. Usually happens by mistake, in my case. The harmonic note I hear
seems too high for that section of the fretboard, but, hey, I am no Eric
Clapton.

If that is really the kid playing, I am in awe and wonder why we don't know
of him. I am still suspicous. Even if it is a guitar-sync, it is still very
impressive.

RCE

Reggie Smithers

Reggie Smithers wrote:
-rick- wrote:
RCE wrote:

[...]

My bad, while the TSO played Canon Rock, this version is by JerryC.

http://jerryc.tw/

RCE wrote:

If that is really the kid playing, I am in awe and wonder why we don't know
of him. I am still suspicous. Even if it is a guitar-sync, it is still very
impressive.

Changing the subject a bit... I just ran across this;

http://tinyurl.com/ou9zn

[play the video]

It's more my taste and related to boating as well. I'll
have to pick up a copy.

-rick-