JimH

Default So what do you pay.....................

.............for boat insurance each year, including liability?

I know there are a bunch of variables, most especially where you live. The
bottom line is cost/foot/year.

For 'us':

We have always had an "agreed to" hull value policy and are presently paying
$12/foot/year for both the boat and trailer on our modest 7 year old 20 foot
runabout. We live in NE Ohio and dock in Vermilion, OH on the south shore
of Lake Erie. We also carry an umbrella policy to cover us over and beyond
the boat policy basic $500K liability limits, but that is not figured into
the cost I quoted.

I no longer have the records on what we paid for other previously owned
boats since we sold them so I cannot offer other comparisons, although I
think the cost/foot/year was pretty comparable to what we paid for our 32
footer in 2003.

So what is your cost/foot/year for property and casualty insurance on your
boat..........and where do you live/dock?

JimH

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:34:37 -0500, " JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT
comREMOVETHIS wrote:

............for boat insurance each year, including liability?

Full replacement policy, million liability - $980 per year for all
three boats.

That does not tell us much Tom, as all 3 could be 16 foot rowboats.

BTW: You are better off getting a general liability umbrella policy to
cover all your operations (home, auto, boat, other) rather than a high
liability coverage on any or each of those.

JohnH

comREMOVETHIS wrote:

[...]

Jim, which would you prefer in this thread, information on my insurance or
'jokes' at the expense of other members of the group?
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
RCE

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

............for boat insurance each year, including liability?

I know there are a bunch of variables, most especially where you live.
The bottom line is cost/foot/year.

You don't want to know. I don't even want to know. It depends on what
geographical cruising limits are covered, but I think we are around 70 or 80
bucks a foot/year with a 2 million liability and replacement cost coverage.
Thats for the Navigator. The GB is about half that. And that considers a
dry layup during the winter.

Our marine insurance company recently changed underwriters because the
renewal policies with Zurich were going out of sight. He cut their 2005
premiums almost in half.

RCE

JimH

comREMOVETHIS wrote:

[...]

Sorry, but I give up John. I have tried..........I really have.

I post something boating related yet within 4 replies you choose to ruin it,
turning it personal.

Let us back up for a moment.

Earlier, in another thread I posted a joke about Skipper. It was a joke
about someone who has constantly tried to undermine this NG and has
personally attacked each and every member here. So what do you choose to
focus on when you rode up on your pony and decided to act like the Sheriff
here? Me, for posting the joke. And that thread then went downhill since
your initial attack on me.

My post to that thread was a joke John. Yet you choose to call me on the
carpet for a joke.

If you disagree with what I have to say...........fine. Just ignore me as
your Sheriffin' is ruining more threads than it is worth.

Ignore me in the future and all will be fine.

Also try to practice what you preach John.

Jim Gemmill

[...]

$394 for a 21 foot Cobalt runabout. Met life.

William Andersen

Interesting answers. I'm insured with USAA. My insurance is like that for my
cars: theft and liability. I'm considering switching to BoatUS for the oil
spill protection. I already have their tow/trailer insurance. My only claim
has been when my tow vehicle died near the launch ramp on a Sunday. They had
a tow vehicle there with 30 minutes to tow my truck and trailered boat to a
nearby parking lot. I had to wait until Monday to have the truck towed to
the dealer for repair. I used my USAA insurance for that. Both tows were
handled by insurance and required only that I sign for receiving the
service.

"Tamaroak" wrote in message
I'm paying about $1100/year to insure a 1997 36' Monk trawler (hull value
$195,000) for chartering in Lake Superior. The low rates probably come
from a short season, fairly boring boating up here and a slow boat.

Capt. Jeff