Default Stereo mounting bracket - Shipshape Boating

The Shipshape boating episode last weekend was about installing a
stereo in John's Whaler.

He used two parts that I need for my installation. I can't find them on
any of the usual sites. I deleted the episode from my Tivo, so I don't
know the vendor names. The DIYnet web site has no vendor info

The first item is a really nice surface mount cover.

The second item is the rack or tray that he used to support the stereo
assembly. The tray mounts behind the panel and supports the stereo.

Does anyone have any leads?

Doug Kanter

" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Shipshape boating episode last weekend was about installing a
stereo in John's Whaler.

He used two parts that I need for my installation. I can't find them on
any of the usual sites. I deleted the episode from my Tivo, so I don't
know the vendor names. The DIYnet web site has no vendor info

The first item is a really nice surface mount cover.

The second item is the rack or tray that he used to support the stereo
assembly. The tray mounts behind the panel and supports the stereo.

Does anyone have any leads?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hmXOrCn...20&cc=01&wm=tn

Scroll down to Marine Accessories

Cheezy plastic surface mount covers aren't that hard to find. They are
around $20.00 or so. Nice ones like the one used on the show are
likely more money.

I am way more interested the tray.

Thanks for helping

Doug Kanter

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Cheezy plastic surface mount covers aren't that hard to find. They are
around $20.00 or so. Nice ones like the one used on the show are
likely more money.

I am way more interested the tray.

Thanks for helping

Have you checked West Marine? www.westmarine.com

JimH

" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Shipshape boating episode last weekend was about installing a
stereo in John's Whaler.

He used two parts that I need for my installation. I can't find them on
any of the usual sites. I deleted the episode from my Tivo, so I don't
know the vendor names. The DIYnet web site has no vendor info

The first item is a really nice surface mount cover.

The second item is the rack or tray that he used to support the stereo
assembly. The tray mounts behind the panel and supports the stereo.

Does anyone have any leads?

If you are considering a weatherproof enclosure such as this one
http://tinyurl.com/moa8x be aware that you may have an overheating problem,
especially when you run a cd, as these units appear to be totally sealed.

Why not consider an under dash installation using something like this
http://tinyurl.com/okabv

Doug Kanter

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

......and build the back support for the unit yourself.

Thanks for the suggestion. I already spent a few hours going to all the
sponsors websites. No joy.

I have tried WestMarine, Google and Yahoo searches, and eBay. Still no
joy.

The dash on my boat is a slab of 3/4" mahogany epoxied to 3 layers of
marine ply. It is almost 3" thick. The whole topsides of the boat are
as overbuilt as the dash.

I found the sister ship on eBay, but I didn't buy it as it was already
complete and had an older two stroke on it. I live in California. Older
two strokes are banned from many places, with more to come. I contacted
the seller. He had my boat for sale, but not on eBay. She was never
completed. I got to finish it up as I wanted.

The description of the sister ship that was on ebay is as follows -

Begin

The Story of this fantastic Custom boat.....
In the mid eighty's I had a idea to built wooden decks on fiberglass
hulls. Over a couple of years I built two proto types and worked with a
patent attorney on getting a patent for my idea. I got my patent
#5085162 in the early ninety's and gave up the business I had built
representing contract furniture companies. I hired a helper and
proceeded to start to build the boats.
My idea was, that there was a lot of beauty in the old wooden mahogany
runabouts of the 30's ,40's 50's and 60's but people did not want the
maintenance involved with wood. I thought if I were to take a
fiberglass hull and put a mahogany deck on it, the boat would have all
the advantages of a maintenance free fiberglass hull and have the
beauty of a mahogany deck and interior. The best of both worlds.
In 1992 I bought five fiberglass hulls from Olympic Boat Company in
Monroe WA. I had these hulls built specifically for me with a built up
flange around the hull to attach my wooden deck to. The basic hull is
17'7'' long. These hulls also had added stiffening (balsa core) added
to them to make them stronger. I also had custom 27 gallon fuel tanks
built into the hulls. Flotation was also built into the hulls.
The decks were built separate from the boat and added later. The decks
were built utilizing multiple layers of marine plywood all epoxyed
together. The 1/2" Mahogany planking was all cut and fit individually
with a inlay of Alaskan Yellow cedar fit between each plank. All planks
and inlays were bedded in epoxy and also stainless steel screwed to the
marine plywood deck. The screw 's were covered with mahogany bungs. The
deck's total thickness is 1 5/8", it is built very stout. Then the
entire deck was faired (sanded) and the finished deck was covered with
4 oz and or 6oz fiberglass cloth all covered with multiple coats of
epoxy and again faired between each coat. The finish on the deck is
multiple coats of Z-Spar varnish. The boats length is 18', beam 7'6'' ,
weight 1565 lbs

end

She is very pretty. Not perfect, but nice. I plan to take her to Tahoe
for the wooden boat show in August.

Mys Terry wrote:

If you go to the shipshape website, they have a list of all sponsors.
You can be pretty sure that the materials used in the show are all
from sponsors!

http://www.shipshapetv.com/

Calif Bill

oups.com...

Mys Terry wrote:

If you go to the shipshape website, they have a list of all sponsors.
You can be pretty sure that the materials used in the show are all
from sponsors!

http://www.shipshapetv.com/

Pretty boats. I remember those from the old San Francisco Sports and boat
show.

If I could find an email address I would send one. There is no email
address published anywhere I can find. I did fill out the survey on
shipshapetv.com and put my request in the comments section.

I emailed DIYNET and as of this writing I have had no reply.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was not planning on using a weatherproof enclosure. The heat issue
is one of the reasons. Under dash won't work. There isn't enough
legroom to spare for under dash install. I already cut the hole in the
dash. The little tray provided with the stereo can't be mounted well.
The dash is almost 3" thick. :-(

Thanks for the suggestion..