instanceoftime

Default 1978 20' fiberform w/ 305 & merc outdrive

I just purchased this boat on ebay for a sweet price (I think).

According to the previous owner- the boat hasn't been started in 3-5
years. He purchased it several months ago from someone who was planning
on redoing the interior and died before it was gotten around to. The
engine can be rotated by hand. My question is- if I put fresh fluids in
and spark plugs- what else should I do before trying to crank this
thing up? Since it has a radiator I don't have to be in the water yet
correct? Can I crank it on with out the outdrive attached? (please
excuse my naiveness- first boat for me). Also I can't find any info
anywhere on this boat. Just brought it home saturday- What can someone
tell me about the gas tank- how can I inspect it, how can i tell it's
condition....

Thanks for any info

Instanceoftime

Josh Assing

engine can be rotated by hand. My question is- if I put fresh fluids in
and spark plugs- what else should I do before trying to crank this
thing up? Since it has a radiator I don't have to be in the water yet
correct? Can I crank it on with out the outdrive attached? (please

well; i tdoesn't have a radiator; it has a heat exchanger. You need to provide
water to the intake - you can use ear-muff like thing or stick the outdrive in a
55 gallon drum filled with water...

You should also pull the valve covers and check for stuck valves.
Replace the water pump in the engine & impeller in the outdrive.

Check the hoses & elbows -- there are flappers in the elbows that some times
rust up.
anywhere on this boat. Just brought it home saturday- What can someone
tell me about the gas tank- how can I inspect it, how can i tell it's
condition....

They're usually under the deck -- look for the filler and follow the line.

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.
bluewaterboatservices

Josh is right..... I would also run it with a test tank and fresh fuel.
If the fuel has been sitting in the tank for 3 years you dont want to
run it through the engine. Chances are the carb is already gummed up.
Rob

bluewaterboatservices

James... great point... You did not say anything about the hull and I
didnt think about it.... but you should look for rot in the transom and
stringers.... the repair, if needed would be more than the boats value.

instanceoftime

wow, lol I feel like an 18 year old looking for tips.

transom and stringers?

here's the ebay auction number if anyone cares to look. 4610313410

I really haven't had a minute yet to check the boat out much. Will be
taking things apart tomorrow.

thanks guys