JimH

Default Poor Dick Cheney - the saga continues (guffaw)

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Oh shoot! Veep had no license for quail hunt
BY KENNETH R. BAZINET
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU
Monday, February 13th, 2006

WASHINGTON - Vice President Cheney had no license to kill - quail, that
is.

BFD. Yawn

JimH

JimH wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Oh shoot! Veep had no license for quail hunt
BY KENNETH R. BAZINET
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU
Monday, February 13th, 2006

WASHINGTON - Vice President Cheney had no license to kill - quail, that
is.

BFD. Yawn

It's not a big deal, it's just funny, and, thankfully, the guy Cheney
blasted apparently is recovering ok.

What was that Jimmy Breslin book..."The Gang that Couldn't Shoot
Straight"? Not only does the title fit, but in many ways, it serves as an
allegory for the Bush administration, which seems to have a real shortage
of straight shooters.

At the very minimum, Cheney should give up "hunting" as a sport and take
up something more suitable for his diminished capabilities.

This little incident is going to haunt Cheney for a long time. And it
should.

My wife said their is a blog on the net showing a picture of Cheney on a VP
seal, dressed in an Elmer Fudd hat and holding a shotgun.......the words
around the seal are "Be vewy, vewy quiet, I'm hunting Iwacki's" ;-)

RCE

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Oh shoot! Veep had no license for quail hunt
BY KENNETH R. BAZINET
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU
Monday, February 13th, 2006

WASHINGTON - Vice President Cheney had no license to kill - quail, that
is.

BFD. Yawn

Passs aat ... snort .... yawn .... streeeeeetch) ...
Huh? what happened?

RCE

Reggie Smithers

Default Hunting Accidents

Yesterday it seemed some people thought the accident was the result of
the victim not following hunting protocol. The newspapers and hunting
experts seem to believe it was the shooter who was responsible, even
though the victim had not followed protocol when rejoining the hunting line.

This really should not be a political discussion, but a safety
discussion that all hunters can learn from. Heck, I know I would prefer
to learn from someone else's mistake, instead of repeating the same one.

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

RCE

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

My wife said their is a blog on the net showing a picture of Cheney on a
VP seal, dressed in an Elmer Fudd hat and holding a shotgun.......the
words around the seal are "Be vewy, vewy quiet, I'm hunting Iwacki's" ;-)

That's the first image that popped into my head when I heard of this story.

RCE

Reggie Smithers

Harry Krause wrote:
Reggie Smithers wrote:
Yesterday it seemed some people thought the accident was the result of
the victim not following hunting protocol. The newspapers and hunting
experts seem to believe it was the shooter who was responsible, even
though the victim had not followed protocol when rejoining the hunting
line.

This really should not be a political discussion, but a safety
discussion that all hunters can learn from. Heck, I know I would
prefer to learn from someone else's mistake, instead of repeating the
same one.

I shoot firearms at an "informal" outdoor range at least once a month,
and there usually are three or four fellows with me. The range has
several different areas where we shoot, and we have some clay target
launchers we sometimes set up. No one takes a shot unless he knows
EXACTLY where the other guys are and that they are completely out of the
line of fire.

Though I don't hunt, I've been on pheasant and grouse hunts as a "tag
along" guy because friends of mine were going. The same rules apply: no
one shoots unless the location of everyone is known.

Hunting accidents happen every day. In almost every instance, the
accident is a result of carelessness on the part of the shooter.

Consider this analogy: if you are a boater, *you* are responsible for
any damage your wake causes. If you are a hunter, *you* are responsible
for any damage your gun causes.

And that should be the point of the post and the discussion among
hunters. Anytime anyone moves from their line, or anytime anyone sees
someone move from the line, they should announce it to all. When a
hunter is lining up his shot, it is too late for him to looking for the
other hunters. An analogy for you would be, how many skeet would you
"kill" if you were looking for other skeet shooters after the skeet was
released. By the time you had checked your left and right, the skeet
has hidden under the ground cover.

Many will make this a political issue, but you and I know it really
isn't. It is an issue that is important to anyone who hunts or goes to
a skeet range, regardless of their political leaning. Ignorance and
hunting accidents know no political boundaries.

On a serious note, many of the jokes have been funny. ; )

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Reggie Smithers

Harry Krause wrote:

Cheney is an experienced hunter. He should know better.

I would guess the majority of hunting accidents are the result of
experienced hunters making a stupid mistake. A new hunter is so
concerned with following the rules, and not making a mistake, that he is
focusing more on the other hunters than the birds. An experienced
hunter is more inclined to "assume" everyone is following protocol
concerning the hunting line.

You made a comment about when you are shooting clay that only two people
are on the line, everyone else stands behind the hunters. If I went on
a hunt, I would require one person to be standing behind the line, to
let everyone know if someone is rejoining the line or is not following
protocol.

--
Reggie
That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

When I shoot sporting clays, which is not the same as shooting skeet, I
am always away of my surroundings and if I sensed something wrong, I'd
not shoot, or shoot high.

I'd sooner believe you actually have a fab Zimmermanlike lobstaboat than
shoot SC. You don't even have a suitable gun for the sport.

--
Skipper
Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

When I shoot sporting clays, it is at a regulated range. There's only
one shooter up at a time, and all the shots are FORWARD.

SC stations at many ranges are often no than 30 yards apart with swings
approaching 180 degrees. You DO NOT shoot sporting clays.

When we are at the informal range, everyone except the shooter(s) stays
well back. We're all experienced shotgunners.

BS. The bird triggers are usually AT the shooting station.

If I am out on a hunt, I usually handle
the reloading, and keep my eyes open for problems, as do the shooters.

Reloading??? You don't know the first thing about reloading.

One report I read said Cheney turned and shot to his rear. That's a
no-no.

Again, you do not shoot SC. Occasionally, doubles are almost opposed
180.

I doubt you know the dif between a rocket, rabbit, or bird.

--
Skipper
Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

Oh...and since I haven't published a list of the shotguns I own, you
wouldn't have a clue as to what shotguns I use for sporting clays.

You HAVE declared the shotguns you own...along with the fab lobsta.
Which gun do you use for SC?

--
Skipper