Denis Roy

Default fed up please help

Firstly make sure its getting full voltage. After that, I would guess you
need a new starter. It has a solenoid in it that extends the shaft long
enough to engage the flywheel. Car starters fail this way also.

Be happy it happened on the driveway. According to Murphy's Law these
things usually happen at the worst possible location out in the lake.

If the starter is expensive, call an auto electric shop and ask if it can be
rebuilt.

--
Denis Roy
D. Roy Woodcraft
"Don Dando" wrote in message
t...
Perhaps the battery is low and not giving the starter a quick snappy
starting spin to engage the starter drive.

Don Dando

Charlie Brown wrote in message
Just got my boat back from the shop for new throttle cable, trim seals
and oil tank overfilling.

I get home, want to test boat, hook up the water, turn key and all's I
get is a spinning of the starter motor.

I see that the gear of the starter motor is below the flywheel,
basically spinning free. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I can
surmise that the starter gear must somehow mesh with the flywheel to
turn the motor over. Looking at the service manual, it doesn't look
like anything complicated. Is the starter gear supposed to move up on
the shaft as it spins? I don't get it!!! I am mad as heck.

The photos in the manual have me just as confused, some of the photos
show the starter gear below the flywheel and others seem to show it
meshed together.

John Chaplain

like anything complicated. Is the starter gear supposed to move up on
the shaft as it spins? I don't get it!!! I am mad as heck.

Who are you mad at? Yourself? (I hope) for not knowing how to maintain
or work on a boat.
It sounds like the work you had done had nothing to do with starter
motor maintenance, so you can't be blaming the repair shop. Or do you
just lose your temper every time something doesn't work? In that case
please see a shrink.

John Chaplain

please see a shrink.

Hell yes I get ****ed off when **** breaks. What do you do, celebrate
the opportunity for its potential as a learning experience? Screw
that ****. I would like to have better mechanical skills, but I don't.
And yeah, that ****es me off too. Tried seeing a shrink once, but he
****ed me off. But what ****es me off most, are people like you who
think that there is something wrong with getting ****ed off in the
first place. So go **** up a rope...

At least I know I hit the nail on the head with this one....

See a shrink...lol....
John Chaplain

And the other stuff was screwed up also. So with enough screwed up to be
fixed stuff, I would blame the starter on the dealer also. They should have
caught it, if nothing else.

So if you bring an old car in to have something fixed and then
something else breaks after you leave you would blame them.....
Ok...
John Chaplain

please see a shrink.

Hell yes I get ****ed off when **** breaks. What do you do, celebrate
the opportunity for its potential as a learning experience?

Sort of...I do...especially if I have an older boat. I would expect
stuff to break and not blame everyone else like some sort of a mental
case.
Maybe if you did take it as a learning experience and learned to deal
with it like an adult and learn to fix things instead of having a
whiny little ****y fit your life would be better and no need for
shinks since you get ****ed off at them too...you are a real
headcase...you need to be told that.