Gould 0738

Default OT--Wal-Mart Posts $2.44B in 2Q Earnings

One retail theory is that when the economy is lousy, EVERYONE shops downward
one level. So, even if you prefer Lands' End t-shirts, you may settle for
Fruit of the Loom, or whatever WM sells.

It's the Puritan Work Ethic/ Depression mentality of our ancestors at work.
Most Americans feel compelled to seek out the lowest price. Buying from a more
socially responsible company that treats its employees fairly and isn't
contributing to the great suburban homogenization of America sounds like a
great idea......that somebody else should look into. We're all too busy saving
$15 on a color TV to give a
dang, personally.
jps

"NOYB" wrote in message
m...

"jps" wrote in message
"JohnH" wrote in message

I had heard so much BSR to the effect that the tax breaks were going

only
to the
'rich'. I honestly don't think it's the 'rich' folks who are doing the

spending
at Wal-Mart.

No, stupid Americans with Child tax credits in a spendy mood. They

bought
several six packs and some new underwear and called it a day. BTW, most

of
those sales were at Sam's Club, not Wallymart.

A lot of businesses spend money at Sam's Club. They're taking advantage

of
the new $100,000 Section 179 tax deduction in the newly passed tax cut.

Yeah, that's just where I go when I want to spend 100,000 on new equipment,
Sam's Club.

NOYB

"jps" wrote in message
"NOYB" wrote in message
m...

"jps" wrote in message
"JohnH" wrote in message

[...]

I never said the small businesses are spending the whole enchilada at Sam's
Club...but they do have excellent pricing on computer hardware, fax
machines, copy machines, phone systems, office furniture, appliances, etc.

Can't you expand your small mind for a second and see that Sam's small
business sales make up a sizable portion of their total sales.

JohnH

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:45:54 GMT, "Jim" wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
.. .
On 14 Aug 2003 14:37:58 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

One retail theory is that when the economy is lousy, EVERYONE shops downward
one level. So, even if you prefer Lands' End t-shirts, you may settle for
Fruit of the Loom, or whatever WM sells.

It's the Puritan Work Ethic/ Depression mentality of our ancestors at work.
Most Americans feel compelled to seek out the lowest price. Buying from a more
socially responsible company that treats its employees fairly and isn't
contributing to the great suburban homogenization of America sounds like a
great idea......that somebody else should look into. We're all too busy saving
$15 on a color TV to give a
dang, personally.

Are y'all trying to tell me that the 'rich' are taking all their tax savings and
shopping at Wal-Mart? Is this really what you're trying to get us dumb neo-cons
to believe?

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

Old Chuck is just mad because the economy is showing signs of improvement, certainly
not what the libs want to see as the Presidential race is starting to heat up.

Being a proclaimed lib Old Chuck is also pro union and dreads good news coming from a
non union organization, especially one that has driven many union grocery stores under.

So Old Chuck will grasp at straws in trying to spin this positive story into a
negative.

Yeah. I sure wish Old Chuck, jps, Harry, etc would give me some advice on my
manifold and riser questions. Then I'd go spend some of my tax rebate money on
same.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
Larry

Might be good for the boat and motor companies, and their dealers, to
note that WalMart is successful because every consumer knows how EASY
it is to take back something that's defective or even if you just
don't like it, to WalMart.

I bought a set of Goodyear tires from WalMart a couple of years ago
for my Mercedes station wagon. 2 years later, I got a nail in the
left front tire. I had purchased WalMarts $9 extended road hazard
guarantee, so I took it to my local WalMart and pointed out the nail
to the service writer. "Hmm....that nail looks too close to the
sidewall for me. Joe, put this man on a new tire, will ya."

Joe could have simply plugged the hole and sent me on my way. Tire
dealers would have. Not WalMart. I got a new tire....

Guess where I'm going for tires for the other car and truck when they
need it.

A set of Goodyears from WalMart was $280, with the extra warranty good
forever until the tires are worn out. A similar set of Goodyears from
the Goodyear dealer was over $500 and, if I'd blown the tire in Kansas
for instance, I couldn't have gone into the local Walmart store to get
it fixed or replaced in any town......

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:12:53 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

"I am pleased our associates achieved record quarterly sales and earnings,"
said company president and chief executive Lee Scott.

...except in Rochester, right Doug?

Hehehe.

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.
NOYB

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

Speaking of Kansas...where's Skipper? Maybe you'd find him as a greeter at
the Kansas Wal-Mart?

Gould 0738

Are y'all trying to tell me that the 'rich' are taking all their tax savings
and
shopping at Wal-Mart? Is this really what you're trying to get us dumb
neo-cons
to believe?

Where did you come up with that??

Pretty weird, John.