Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
K. Smith

Default E-Tecs

Just thought I better at least answer some of the comments.

(i) Karen,
Via Goggle, I looked for any articles or E-Tec problems. I could not
find any. While there might be problems with E-Tec down the road, no
E-Tec engine will suffer a reduction in resale.

Do you have any proof via boat resale prices, that E-Tec will devalue in
resale or are you basing that on the Ficht's being discontinued?

--
Reggie

I guess I must just try harder Reggie:-)

I seem to get abused if I post links because as I see it some of the
socalled "boards" are just commercial enterprises who see themselves as
part of the marketing chain, gee the last bloke even admitted to culling
bad E-Tec reports becasue there was no "proof", yet their boards are
full to the brim with glowing reports from dealers, gee & what do
dealers do?? they lie!!! So at the risk of copying:-)

I seem to have bad luck with motors. My 4-stroke blew up with 400 hrs.
My E-tec died (fuel injector) with 100 hrs in the middle of Boston
Harbor. It has been fine since...it burns more gas than a 4 stroke, but
puts out more HPs given the same weight. You do need to pay attention to
which viscosity oil you are using when the temp changes (September).
__________________
Maritime 1890
Scituate, MA

7/24/05 8:08:00 PM Submitted by Bulletbuoy (69.14.99.177) from MICHIGAN
says Lol must be bad more like it
As of Friday at the Everstart they had on the Detroit River. The e-tech
had 3 blown power heads, one boat's motor caught on fire and blew the
cowling 30 feet in the error. Forcing the gentlemen aboard to abandon
ship. LOL E tech went over like a fat kid in dodgeball on erie.

7/25/05 8:54:00 AM Submitted by Rodney Tidwell @ Jet-a- Marina from
KENTUCKY says Etecs no problems here
We have probably thirty or more of the Etecs out on the water with no
real big problems out of them. We had one go down but Bombardier took
quick action to get him going again in less than a week. We also have
about 10 of the 250 Verados out on the water with no problems out of
them either. I am hearing rumors of problems with the Etec but have not
had any here. Rodney

Gee Reggies can I comment?? down from 1 in 5 to 1 in 30!!! think about
that as a risk factor on an engine that costs as much as a medium car.

fishcall

Posted 2/2/2005 11:29 AM (#501603)
Subject: E-tec 90hp powerhead failure at 37 hours

Captain's Club Member

Member Since:
10/12/2003

Location: Charleston, SC my 90 e-tec (2005) blew a powerhead at 37
hours. they say the engine ran for 29 minutes without oil. the no oil
alarm went off once, i checked the oil tank and there was plenty of oil.
and then the alarm never went off again. i was told that air bubbles can
form in the oil line if you have low oil and tilt the engine up. when
you tilt it back down, an air bubble can form in the oil line. no one
claimed that this is what caused the powerhead failure though. has
anyone else had an e-tec powerhead failure? and if so, what was the
reason? also, i have been using the xd-100 oil and the engine is
porperly set-up. it also used way more oil than they claimed it would.
in the 37 hours of use, i filled the oil tank three times. it blew in
the beginning of the third oil tank. i just got the boat back and after
running it for approx. 2 hrs, the no oil alarm went off again. this time
i brought the boat back to the mechanic. they river tested it and had no
alarms go off. i had one oif the first ficht 150 engines which blew
three powerheads in three months. i hope that i am not going to get
burned again......

posted 06-20-2005 11:02 AM ET (US) Profile for tbyrne Another 90-HP
E-TEC failure

The most recent edition of Powerboat Reports has a cover story on the
90-HP E-TEC engines on which they are doing a long term report.
Apparently, one of two E-TEC engines developed a knock and the powerhead
had to be replaced. It took two weeks to get the powerhead delivered and
installed. Not very good publicity.

Perhaps the most significant part of the article was where the BRP
corporate representative claimed to be unaware of ANY other 90 hp E-TEC
engine failures. Since Crabby's motor alone has had two failures and
several others on this board are currently experiencing problems, I find
the rep's statement hard to fathom.

Clever ads aside, the jury appears to still be out on E-TECs.

posted 06-20-2005 01:21 PM ET (US) Profile for kglinz Send Email
to kglinz That hammering noise is not a failure. It's the back-up
oil warning system. If the horn/lite doesn't work, when you have a lube
problem, you get a hammering noise. You can reset it by changing the
crank and a rod or two.

e tec problem
hello everyone i am new in these forums but i have a 2006 etec model and
i am having problems with fuel leakage and am highly concerned
considering the engines are new has anyone else had any problems i would
be very interested its avery touchy subject with people at the moment
other problems i have also had

SUBJECT: # 82386: Etecs blowing at FLW championship.....

Submitted by Skeeter202zx-less (69.162.245.223) from OHIO on 7/20/05
3:54:00 PM

I heard that 3 Etecs did not even make it to their first stop, the first
day, and another went later that day. Info from a guy who fished it.
good'ol DFI's!

7/20/05 8:25:00 PM Submitted by Bob (68.54.99.64) from VIRGINIA says I
have been around different types of engines for a long time.
I agree John. New engines need break-in time for the rings to seat. I
have been hearing about problems for about 3-4 months now from the
locals around here. There have been rumors of scuffing in the cylinder
walls, and overheating. Makes me glad I still have a good old
smoke-belching carbureted model.

As for the boat value thing; I suppose I can paste an add & from it you
can draw your own conclusions, but gee why would the engines have zero
hrs & the legs 163hrs???? Of course he won't ever get the advertised
price, unless a once in a life time Tom or deceptive dealer comes
along:-) but even if he did how much a boating hour has that boater
lost??? Again, I bet the local E-Tec dealers are instructed to go buy
these to stop the ads & the rot to keep up the BS levels.

Pair of 2006 Evinrude 200 H.O Etecs. 0 hours on brand new factory
powerheads , 163 hours on lower units. These motors were used for 1
season and are in excellent shape.Comes complete with oil tanks,
controls. E-mail, $22.000 OBO.

There are heaps more of these & indeed if you search my properly
archived posts you'll find even those that object to me using their
material as evidence, do admit there are E-Tec problems. For me it's
deja vue or is that deja news from Ficht, lots of "excuses" blaming the
oil, the user, the day of the week, endless "upgrades" & completely over
the top advertising to convince people a pig with lipstick is no longer
a pig.