BoatBanter.com

-   -   And it really flies when paddled (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/66008-really-flies-when-paddled.html)

Garrison Hilliard February 1st 06 08:11 PM

And it really flies when paddled

Daring launch good news for Clyde

By Hayley Millar
BBC Scotland business correspondent

HMS Daring is the biggest warship ever to launch at the Scotstoun shipyard in
Glasgow.

Every new ship is named by a Lady Sponsor and HMS Daring had a Royal launch,
with Her Royal Highness the Countess of Wessex as her sponsor.

The Type 45s will replace the Navy's aging fleet of Type 42 destroyers, such as
HMS Glasgow.

On the outside, first-of-class Daring is significantly bigger, but it is inside
where the real differences lie.

Lt Cdr Dean Woodruff RN, who has been overseeing Daring's progress, said she was
something special for the Royal Navy.

He said: "When she comes into service in 2009, we're going to have the most
advanced warship in the world.

"The combat system is the cutting edge of technology and we've gone to a full
electric propulsion system."

HMS Daring will have more firepower than the combined fleet of Type 42
destroyers.

Her main weapon, the Principal Anti-Air Missile System (PAAMS), will monitor the
airspace for hundreds of miles around the fleet she is protecting.

For those serving on HMS Daring, life at sea should be much more advanced too.

Modern accommodation

More space has been allocated for recreational areas including the first purpose
built fitness centre.

The old-style messes accommodating 30 or 40 men have been replaced by cabins
which sleep six.

Each berth will have its own internet connection.

Lt Cdr Woodruff said it was a distinct step forward for the Royal Navy.

"We've certainly caught up with the electronic age," he said.

"Nowadays the crew can write home on their laptops and it can be with their
loved ones within hours rather than days, which is what I was used to when I
first joined up."

All ranks were asked what they would like on board Daring and 95% of their ideas
have been incorporated.

"When I've been hosting fleet visits up here, they always tell me that they want
to serve on this ship," Lt Cdr Woodruff added.

D-class fleet

"She should definitely help us recruit in the future."

Daring is the first of the Royal Navy's D-class of ships.

So far six ships have been ordered by the Ministry of Defence.

Dauntless and Diamond are currently being built across the Clyde at BAE's Govan
yard.

Along with Dragon, Defender and Duncan, the others will launch from Govan.

This 'production line' approach has led to improved efficiency in the Type 45
programme.

Andy Hamilton, BAE System's shipbuilding director at Govan is overseeing
Daring's sister ships at the yard.

He admitted that as each ship was built, efficiencies improved.

Mr Hamilton said: "Today we drive for efficiency, so we need to ensure we're
doing the work in the most cost effective manner."

Record investment

HMS Dauntless and Diamond are being fitted out to a much higher level than any
previous class of ship.

Mr Hamilton said that, a year before her launch date, Dauntless was fitted out
to a level normally not expected until two years after launch.

This expertise will prepare BAE Systems for its involvement in the Navy's new
aircraft carriers, part of which will be built on the Clyde.

Record number of apprentices and record levels of investment in the yards signal
the healthiest future Clyde shipbuilding has seen for some time.

TYPE-45 DESTROYER - THE NAVY'S NEWEST WARSHIP
1 Flight deck to take Lynx or Merlin combat helicopter
2 Navigation radar
3 Long-range radar monitors air and surface threats
4 Communications mast
5 Small-calibre gun
6 Multi-function radar can guide ship's missiles and detect enemy ones
7 Gunfire control system
8 Vertical-launching system for short- and long-range missiles
9 Medium-calibre main gun
10 Bow sonar (under keel)

TYPE-45 FACTS AND FIGURES
Length - 152.4m
Beam - 21.2m (max)
Displacement - 7,350 tonnes
Range - 7,000 nautical miles
Max speed - 27 knots
Complement - 190 (max 235)

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4666906.stm

Published: 2006/02/01 16:04:40 GMT

RCE February 1st 06 09:02 PM

"Garrison Hilliard" wrote in message
[...]

Is it a custom in the UK for all ships in a particular class to have names
that start with the same letter as the class of ship? Seems to be.

"D" class:

Daring
Dauntless
Diamond
Dragon
Defender
Duncan

RCE

Don White February 1st 06 09:42 PM

Garrison Hilliard wrote:
Daring launch good news for Clyde

By Hayley Millar
BBC Scotland business correspondent

HMS Daring is the biggest warship ever to launch at the Scotstoun shipyard in
Glasgow.

snip...

That's quite a ship. The superstructure reminds me of the 'All Seeing
Eye' that the Freemasons like.

Jeff February 2nd 06 08:15 AM

And it really flies when paddled

Is it a custom in the UK for all ships in a particular class to have names
that start with the same letter as the class of ship? Seems to be.

Well yes and no, in the past some Classes have all started with the same
letter, especially submarines, but it is more common to have a 'theme' for
the names: eg County Class - names of counties, Leander Class - Classical
Greek heroes Battle Class - famous battles etc.

The 'Old' Daring class ships did all start with the same letter.

Regards
Jeff

[email protected] February 2nd 06 02:15 PM

And it really flies when paddled

Re The names
It seams to hold about true. Sometimes the class is the first part of
the name.
Like ( and don't laugh to loud.) The Gay Class had the Gay Fencer and
the Gay Forrester amongst about 10 fast patrol boats. They were powered
by 2 huge gasoline ( Petrol ) engines.
The Dark Class had a bunch of names starting with dark like the Dark
Horseman, Dark Agressor Dark Antagonist.
Some of them wee built in the Clyde too.
I am delighted to hear the Clyde Ship Yards are doing well.
Alex McGruer

[email protected] February 2nd 06 02:26 PM

And it really flies when paddled

Oh : Kayaking forum!!!.
There is the kayaking link.
McGruer and Company thet built the Gay Fencer and Gay Forrester, as
well as working on the Dark Horseman were also building fine folding
kayaks for the Special Boat Service.
I don't know how they faired in their environment of crashing waves,
rocks , fast motor boats, bullets, bomds flairs, mines and all forms of
nasties from the non kayaking axis class that hated people picking at
their war ships
Next time we will buy Prijon; just to conform with the locals.
As our boats were black, they were not likely recreational.

Jeff February 2nd 06 02:34 PM

And it really flies when paddled

wrote in message
ups.com...
Re The names
It seams to hold about true. Sometimes the class is the first part of
the name.
Like ( and don't laugh to loud.) The Gay Class had the Gay Fencer and
the Gay Forrester amongst about 10 fast patrol boats. They were powered
by 2 huge gasoline ( Petrol ) engines.

Actually three V12 Packard engines, each with 1,500 horsepower

The Dark Class had a bunch of names starting with dark like the Dark
Horseman, Dark Agressor Dark Antagonist.
Some of them wee built in the Clyde too.
I am delighted to hear the Clyde Ship Yards are doing well.
Alex McGruer

Dark Class were diesel with 2 shaft Napier Deltic 16 cylinder diesels

Regards
Jeff

Ken Duffey February 2nd 06 05:05 PM

Jeff wrote:
Is it a custom in the UK for all ships in a particular class to have names
that start with the same letter as the class of ship? Seems to be.

Well yes and no, in the past some Classes have all started with the same
letter, especially submarines, but it is more common to have a 'theme' for
the names: eg County Class - names of counties, Leander Class - Classical
Greek heroes Battle Class - famous battles etc.

The 'Old' Daring class ships did all start with the same letter.

Regards
Jeff

OK - here's a quiz question for you......

Which Leander Class Frigate was NOT named after a Classical Greek hero
.... ?? - the exception to the rule....

Same question about exceptions goes to the USS 'City of Corpus Christi'
Los Angeles class SSN ?? What is unusual about that name ??

Ken

RCE February 2nd 06 05:48 PM

"Ken Duffey" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:
Is it a custom in the UK for all ships in a particular class to have
names that start with the same letter as the class of ship? Seems to be.

Well yes and no, in the past some Classes have all started with the same
letter, especially submarines, but it is more common to have a 'theme'
for the names: eg County Class - names of counties, Leander Class -
Classical Greek heroes Battle Class - famous battles etc.

The 'Old' Daring class ships did all start with the same letter.

Regards
Jeff

OK - here's a quiz question for you......

Which Leander Class Frigate was NOT named after a Classical Greek hero ...
?? - the exception to the rule....

Cleopatra

Same question about exceptions goes to the USS 'City of Corpus Christi'
Los Angeles class SSN ?? What is unusual about that name ??

2nd ship to be named after the Texas seaport?

Ken

RCE

Jeff February 2nd 06 06:05 PM

And it really flies when paddled

"
OK - here's a quiz question for you......

Which Leander Class Frigate was NOT named after a Classical Greek hero ...
?? - the exception to the rule....

Cleopatra.... I guess they ran out of popular Greek heroes

Regards
Jeff

Laurence Doering February 2nd 06 07:01 PM

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:05:54 +0000, Ken Duffey wrote:

Same question about exceptions goes to the USS 'City of Corpus Christi'
Los Angeles class SSN ?? What is unusual about that name ??

As far as I know, no other US vessel named after a city is named
"City of...".

When the submarine was launched in 1981, some religious and
antinuclear protest groups were upset that the Navy planned
to name a nuclear-powered sub that would carry tactical nuclear
weapons "Corpus Christi", Latin for "Body of Christ."

The name was eventually changed to "City of Corpus Christi"
to make it clear that SSN-705 was named after the city in
Texas, and to avoid implying to the world that God was on
our side of the Cold War, not the side of our Godless Commie
******* adversaries.

I'm not sure if the name was changed before or after SSN-705
commissioned in January 1983. The Naval Vessel Register shows
the name as "USS City of Corpus Christi (SSN 705) (ex-Corpus
Christi)" [1].

ljd

[1] http://www.nvr.navy.mil/nvrships/details/SSN705.htm

William Black February 2nd 06 08:16 PM

"Jeff" wrote in message

"
OK - here's a quiz question for you......

Which Leander Class Frigate was NOT named after a Classical Greek hero

?? - the exception to the rule....

Cleopatra.... I guess they ran out of popular Greek heroes

Cleopatra was a Greek.

She was the last of the Helenistic dynasty known as the Ptolemaics and was
descended from Alexander's general called, obviously enough Ptolemy..

She just happened to rule Egypt

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Oci-One Kanubi February 2nd 06 08:57 PM

RCE wrote:
"Garrison Hilliard" wrote in message
Daring launch good news for Clyde

By Hayley Millar
BBC Scotland business correspondent

HMS Daring is the biggest warship ever to launch at the Scotstoun shipyard
in
Glasgow.

[snip]

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4666906.stm

Published: 2006/02/01 16:04:40 GMT

Is it a custom in the UK for all ships in a particular class to have names
that start with the same letter as the class of ship? Seems to be.

"D" class:

Daring
Dauntless
Diamond
Dragon
Defender
Duncan

"Dauntless" and "Defender" are proud old names to live up to, each
having been borne by a number of British warships over the centuries, I
think; perhaps some of the others as well. "Defiant" is another name
that belongs in that list; so I imagine there must be a RN vessel by
that name currently or recently in commission.

-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty

Richard Hopley Winston-Salem, NC, USA
rhopley[at]earthlink[dot]net
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll
rhopley[at]wfubmc[dot]edu
OK, OK; computer programming for scientific research also matters

Jeff February 3rd 06 09:14 AM

And it really flies when paddled

Cleopatra.... I guess they ran out of popular Greek heroes

Cleopatra was a Greek.

She was the last of the Helenistic dynasty known as the Ptolemaics and was
descended from Alexander's general called, obviously enough Ptolemy..

She just happened to rule Egypt

That's on a par with saying that Gt, Britain is ruled by a German,
Cleopatra was definitely fully assimilated as an Egyptian, perhaps the
dynasty did have Greek (Macedonian) roots 300 years previously but even the
early Ptolemaics made Egyptian marriages.

Regards
Jeff

Brian Allardice February 3rd 06 09:32 AM

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 09:14:45 -0000, "Jeff" wrote:

Cleopatra.... I guess they ran out of popular Greek heroes

Cleopatra was a Greek.

She was the last of the Helenistic dynasty known as the Ptolemaics and was
descended from Alexander's general called, obviously enough Ptolemy..

She just happened to rule Egypt

That's on a par with saying that Gt, Britain is ruled by a German,
Cleopatra was definitely fully assimilated as an Egyptian, perhaps the
dynasty did have Greek (Macedonian) roots 300 years previously but even the
early Ptolemaics made Egyptian marriages.

Well, not only a Greek but an incestuous dynasty. A well recorded one
also. Your Egyptian chappies/lassies would be who, exactly?

Cheers,
dba

William Black February 3rd 06 10:01 AM

"Jeff" wrote in message
Cleopatra.... I guess they ran out of popular Greek heroes

Cleopatra was a Greek.

She was the last of the Helenistic dynasty known as the Ptolemaics and

was
descended from Alexander's general called, obviously enough Ptolemy..

She just happened to rule Egypt

That's on a par with saying that Gt, Britain is ruled by a German,

Well we are.

Their style is even German. All uniforms crusted with dodgy medals for the
men and huge tasteless ball gowns for the women. The palace looks like
bloody Ruritainia on formal occasions.

Cleopatra was definitely fully assimilated as an Egyptian, perhaps the
dynasty did have Greek (Macedonian) roots 300 years previously but even

the
early Ptolemaics made Egyptian marriages.

So?

Chances are that the person who picked the name had an expensive classical
education and calling the ship HMS Cleopatra was a way of showing off.

You know:

'Cleopatra, she wasn't a Greek, all the other ships are named after
Greeks'.

'Well actually old chap...'

--
William Black

Time for tea.

RCE February 3rd 06 10:19 AM

"William Black" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

The other ships were named after mythological Greek heroes. Cleopatra
wasn't a myth.
*That* is the exception.

RCE

David McArthur February 3rd 06 12:01 PM

Jeff wrote:
Is it a custom in the UK for all ships in a particular class to have names
that start with the same letter as the class of ship? Seems to be.

Well yes and no, in the past some Classes have all started with the same
letter, especially submarines, but it is more common to have a 'theme' for
the names:

There was once a HMS Cockchafer... would love to know what the rest of
the class we called....

Andrew Robert Breen February 3rd 06 12:09 PM

And it really flies when paddled

In article .com,
David McArthur wrote:

Jeff wrote:
Is it a custom in the UK for all ships in a particular class to have names
that start with the same letter as the class of ship? Seems to be.

Well yes and no, in the past some Classes have all started with the same
letter, especially submarines, but it is more common to have a 'theme' for
the names:

There was once a HMS Cockchafer... would love to know what the rest of
the class we called....

APHIS (1915), BEE (1916), both by Aisa Co.

CICALA (1915), COCKCHAFER (1915), CRICKET (1915), GLOWWORM (1916), all by Barclay
Curle.

GNAT (1915), LADYBIRD (1915), both by Lobnitz.

MANTIS (1915), MOTH (1915) both by Sunderland S.B. Co.

SCARAB (1915), TARANTULA (1915), both by Wood, Skinner and Co.

"Insect" class, unsurprisingly. There was also a "Fly" class of rather smaller
gunboats.

Cockchafer ended her life as a WRNS accomodation ship. This led to comments.

--
Andy Breen ~ Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth

"Who dies with the most toys wins" (Gary Barnes)

Jeff February 3rd 06 12:21 PM

And it really flies when paddled

There was once a HMS Cockchafer... would love to know what the rest of
the class we called....

Insect Class:

Aphis, Bee, Cicada, Cockchafer, Cricket, Glower, Gnat, Ladybird, Mantis,
Moth, Scarab and Tarantula

Regards
Jeff

Jeff February 3rd 06 12:24 PM

And it really flies when paddled

" Insect Class:

Aphis, Bee, Cicada, Cockchafer, Cricket, Glower, Gnat, Ladybird, Mantis,
Moth, Scarab and Tarantula

Regards
Jeff

Ooops!! that should be Gloworm not Glower

Jeff

Keith W February 3rd 06 01:45 PM

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:24:11 -0000, "Jeff" wrote:

" Insect Class:

Aphis, Bee, Cicada, Cockchafer, Cricket, Glower, Gnat, Ladybird, Mantis,
Moth, Scarab and Tarantula

Regards
Jeff

Ooops!! that should be Gloworm not Glower

nor would i want to go to war on a gun boat named gloworm.

Maybe not but the DD HMS Glowworm was sunk after one of the most
gallant actions ever fought. While separated from the rest of her
flotilla of Norway she spotted a German destroyer and fired on her.

The German ship turned and ran for a fog bank, Glowworm followed
and as she emerged found herself in the middle of a German taskforce
consisting of the heavy cruiser Hipper and several destroyers. Although
quickly badly damaged by 8" and 5" shells she turned towards Hipper
and rammed the beast. Glowworm sank with all but 30 of her crew being
lost but sent put Hipper limping for port with gash 130ft long in her side
and put her out of action for the rest of the Norwegian campaign.

Keith

CJ Adams February 3rd 06 01:51 PM

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

nor would i want to go to war on a gun boat named gloworm.

Nor would I want HMS PANSY on my cap tally....

(Flower Class, launched 1940 (Harland & Wolff) --
subsequently renamed.)

Cheers
CJ Adams
Arte et Marte

Galen Hekhuis February 3rd 06 02:03 PM

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:21:42 -0000, "Jeff" wrote:

There was once a HMS Cockchafer... would love to know what the rest of
the class we called....

Insect Class:

Aphis, Bee, Cicada, Cockchafer, Cricket, Glower, Gnat, Ladybird, Mantis,
Moth, Scarab and Tarantula

Do they really think a Tarantula is an insect? Do you?

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
We are the CroMagnon of the future

Jeff February 3rd 06 02:21 PM

And it really flies when paddled

" Maybe not but the DD HMS Glowworm was sunk after one of the most
gallant actions ever fought. While separated from the rest of her
flotilla of Norway she spotted a German destroyer and fired on her.

The German ship turned and ran for a fog bank, Glowworm followed
and as she emerged found herself in the middle of a German taskforce
consisting of the heavy cruiser Hipper and several destroyers. Although
quickly badly damaged by 8" and 5" shells she turned towards Hipper
and rammed the beast. Glowworm sank with all but 30 of her crew being
lost but sent put Hipper limping for port with gash 130ft long in her side
and put her out of action for the rest of the Norwegian campaign.

Not the same class Glowworm as the gunboat, (G class Destroyer) but an
amazingly heroic action nevertheless.

Regards
Jeff

Ken Duffey February 3rd 06 04:45 PM

"Jeff" wrote in message

[...]

She was a myth - she never married...!!! g

If she had, she would have been a mythith.

I'll get my coat.............

Ken

Fred J. McCall February 3rd 06 05:43 PM

:
:If she had, she would have been a mythith.
:
:I'll get my coat.............

But she did sleep around a lot.

Thith made her a hit rather than a myth, at leatht with the Romanth.

[Uh, my coat over there someplace, while you're looking?]

Brian Allardice February 3rd 06 07:39 PM

And it really flies when paddled

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:21:42 -0000, "Jeff" wrote:

There was once a HMS Cockchafer... would love to know what the rest of
the class we called....

Insect Class:

Aphis, Bee, Cicada, Cockchafer, Cricket, Glower, Gnat, Ladybird, Mantis,
Moth, Scarab and Tarantula

But a tarantula is not an insect....

Cheers,
dba

Andrew Chaplin February 3rd 06 07:41 PM

"Brian Allardice" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:21:42 -0000, "Jeff" wrote:

There was once a HMS Cockchafer... would love to know what the rest of
the class we called....

Insect Class:

Aphis, Bee, Cicada, Cockchafer, Cricket, Glower, Gnat, Ladybird, Mantis,
Moth, Scarab and Tarantula

But a tarantula is not an insect....

"Arthropod Class" just didn't have the same cachet.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

[email protected] February 3rd 06 10:34 PM

And it really flies when paddled

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:47:18 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:24:11 -0000, "Jeff" wrote:

" Insect Class:

Aphis, Bee, Cicada, Cockchafer, Cricket, Glower, Gnat, Ladybird, Mantis,
Moth, Scarab and Tarantula

Regards
Jeff

Ooops!! that should be Gloworm not Glower

nor would i want to go to war on a gun boat named gloworm.

Well. it would be better than "Pansey" (a Flower class corvette)

Al Minyard

Guns don't kill people.
Husbands that come home early kill people !!

Thomas Schoene February 4th 06 02:54 AM

Andrew Robert Breen wrote:

Cockchafer ended her life as a WRNS accomodation ship. This led to comments.

And some interesting cap tallys.

--
Tom Schoene lid
To email me, replace "invalid" with "net"

Andrew Robert Breen February 4th 06 11:43 AM

And it really flies when paddled

In article ,
Brian Allardice wrote:
On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:21:42 -0000, "Jeff" wrote:

There was once a HMS Cockchafer... would love to know what the rest of
the class we called....

Insect Class:

Aphis, Bee, Cicada, Cockchafer, Cricket, Glower, Gnat, Ladybird, Mantis,
Moth, Scarab and Tarantula

But a tarantula is not an insect....

True, of course. But I don't think the Admiralty was that concerned (and
besides, "Arthropod class" doesn't sound too good).

--
Andy Breen ~ Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Feng Shui: an ancient oriental art for extracting