Calif Bill

Default Jet boat racing videos.

Not for dialup.

http://www.youtube.com/w/Extreme-Spr...rint%20jetboat

Some other neat videos also.

RG

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Not for dialup.

http://www.youtube.com/w/Extreme-Spr...rint%20jetboat

Some other neat videos also.

Very nicely done videos.

Bryan

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Not for dialup.

http://www.youtube.com/w/Extreme-Spr...rint%20jetboat

Some other neat videos also.

NASCAR on the water; with softer landings. Although some of those crashes
look like they might have had some ouch to them. Seems like a fun day at
the mud pit; is that where you were this weekend?

Bryan

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Not for dialup.

http://www.youtube.com/w/Extreme-Spr...rint%20jetboat

Some other neat videos also.

Bill,
Is it an illusion or are those boats turning as sharply and moving as fast
as the video suggests?

If so, what's the design feature that makes them able to make such sharp
controlled tight turns at speed?

Calif Bill

"Bryan" wrote in message
. com...

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Not for dialup.

http://www.youtube.com/w/Extreme-Spr...rint%20jetboat

Some other neat videos also.

NASCAR on the water; with softer landings. Although some of those crashes
look like they might have had some ouch to them. Seems like a fun day at
the mud pit; is that where you were this weekend?

Was in Santa Monica area. I went fishing on the New Del Mar out of Marina
Del Rey while wife and daughters went crazy spending money. Shopped and
ordered the wedding dress, and other items required to give daughter away
and help the economy. Fishing was slow, water was in the 50's. Cold for
them.

Calif Bill

"Bryan" wrote in message
. com...

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Not for dialup.

http://www.youtube.com/w/Extreme-Spr...rint%20jetboat

Some other neat videos also.

Bill,
Is it an illusion or are those boats turning as sharply and moving as fast
as the video suggests?

If so, what's the design feature that makes them able to make such sharp
controlled tight turns at speed?

Did not always look controlled. :) They have lots of sharp reverse chines
on the bottom, and the jet drive moves the back of the boat in a desired
direction. I have spun out my boat in the delta. do a 180 and slide
backwards.

RG

"Bryan" wrote in message
. com...

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Not for dialup.

http://www.youtube.com/w/Extreme-Spr...rint%20jetboat

Some other neat videos also.

Bill,
Is it an illusion or are those boats turning as sharply and moving as fast
as the video suggests?

No illusion, the real deal.

If so, what's the design feature that makes them able to make such sharp
controlled tight turns at speed?

Two things. First, jet propulsion allows for near instant changing of the
vector of thrust. When you turn the wheel on a jet, all you are moving is
the small short nozzle at the end of the jet drive. Since the nozzle has
very little mass, and is more on the surface of the water rather than
underneath it, there is very little resistance to movement, and it is a very
short throw, lock to lock. Second, notice that all these race boats have a
very flat bottom and very little keel. This allows the stern to be kicked
out to the side nearly immediately, thus changing the heading of the boat
nearly instantly. If you've never driven a jet boat, or ridden in one that
is being driven by someone that isn't afraid to demo the unique
characteristics of a jet, you're really missing something. Big fun.

Calif Bill

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Bryan" wrote in message
. com...

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Not for dialup.

http://www.youtube.com/w/Extreme-Spr...rint%20jetboat

Some other neat videos also.

Bill,
Is it an illusion or are those boats turning as sharply and moving as
fast as the video suggests?

If so, what's the design feature that makes them able to make such sharp
controlled tight turns at speed?

Did not always look controlled. :) They have lots of sharp reverse chines
on the bottom, and the jet drive moves the back of the boat in a desired
direction. I have spun out my boat in the delta. do a 180 and slide
backwards.

Picture of the bottom. Delta pad with lots of chines.
http://www.ussbaracing.com/2004%20Ga...5c1932_std.jpg