Jeff

Default Blown Head

I noticed recently some smoke coming from my starboard engine. I took off
the valve covers and noticed a light brown milky substance on the underside
of the covers and around some of the lifters. However the oil on the
dipstick looks good. I have 2 Volvo penta 4.3gi 1997. no problems on the
port engine.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what this is? Blown Head Gasket?
Thanks
Jeff

Maynard G. Krebbs

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 05:12:40 GMT, "Jeff"
wrote:

I noticed recently some smoke coming from my starboard engine. I took off
the valve covers and noticed a light brown milky substance on the underside
of the covers and around some of the lifters. However the oil on the
dipstick looks good. I have 2 Volvo penta 4.3gi 1997. no problems on the
port engine.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what this is? Blown Head Gasket?
Thanks
Jeff

It could be that you aren't running your engine long enough to really
warm it up and evaprate the moisture under the valve covers and the
moisture is mixing with the oil.
Mark E. Williams

Jeff wrote:
I noticed recently some smoke coming from my starboard engine. I took off
the valve covers and noticed a light brown milky substance on the underside
of the covers and around some of the lifters. However the oil on the
dipstick looks good. I have 2 Volvo penta 4.3gi 1997. no problems on the
port engine.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what this is? Blown Head Gasket?
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff, when you say you saw some smoke coming from the engine, do you
mean through the exhaust, or do you mean when looking at the engine,
smoke was rising from somewhere? If so, was it in the area of the valve
cover in question? What color was the smoke? Was it truly smoke or
water vapor?

Butch Davis

Jeff,

Do you have a small hose running from the valve cover to the spark arrestor?
If so, check the hose and connections to ensure they are clear of any
restrictions. While at it, clean the spark arrestor. They can get a little
gummed up over time.

AFAIK this was the sloe means of crankcase ventilation on my old Mercruiser
260.

Butch
wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeff wrote:
I noticed recently some smoke coming from my starboard engine. I took
off
the valve covers and noticed a light brown milky substance on the
underside
of the covers and around some of the lifters. However the oil on the
dipstick looks good. I have 2 Volvo penta 4.3gi 1997. no problems on the
port engine.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what this is? Blown Head Gasket?
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff, when you say you saw some smoke coming from the engine, do you
mean through the exhaust, or do you mean when looking at the engine,
smoke was rising from somewhere? If so, was it in the area of the valve
cover in question? What color was the smoke? Was it truly smoke or
water vapor?

Jeff

Mark,
Thank you,
I think you may be on to something...
I just realized my thermostat was staying open and not letting the engine
get up to operating temp. I will address this problem and see if I can burn
that condensation off.
Best
Jeff