Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Selling my boat w/mo. payments

Eddie wrote:

Thanks for any insights and help on this matter.
Eddie

Here's what I know. The reason this story is related, is that you just
can't trust anybody, even when they seem to check out. When my wife and
I moved from CA to GA, we owned a townhouse. We wanted to keep it, so
decided to rent it out. Out of several families, we were charmed by a
couple and their kid. We checked their jobs, both were employed by
Safeway as regional and store managers for the last six or so years. We
did a credit check, husband good, wife a little better than "good".
Asked if they could paint, and do general improvements with our okay,
etc. Seemed perfect. Did our legal homework, and wrote up a lease
contract with the help of a lawyer friend. Moved here, leased to them,
and after the first month's rent and security deposit, they turned into
deadbeats, and I mean DEADBEATS. Seems that they knew exactly how CA
law worked in regards to tenants. So, what happens is they ended up
paying one months rent, plus another months worth for security deposit,
for a total of two months. With CA law coddling tenants, they lived in
our townhouse for a total of EIGHT months, six of them totally free.
They KNEW what they were doing, even telling me so on the phone. I've
blathered on here to tell you one thing. Do not trust your instincts.
Don't even trust a credit report, it says nothing about one's
character. I don't know HOW to tell if someone is trustworthy. Just
make absolutely, positively that you have some for of quick recourse
that doesn't cost YOU.