Default You think you've got a high fuel bill?

A tug sank in Seattle today. (not mine!) :-)

Notice the fuel capacity- 31,000 gallons!
Even at the wholesale rate the tug company pays for fuel, I wouldn't be
shocked to learn that corresponds to a $50,000 - $60,000 "fillup".

Good news, no significant spill. Probably raise her in the morning.

Office of Public Affairs
U.S. Coast Guard Thirteenth District

Press Release Date: Jan. 22, 2006
Contact: PA2 Kurt Fredrickson
(206) 220-7237

TUG SINKS IN DUWAMISH WATERWAY, COAST GUARD AND WASHINGTON STATE
INVESTIGATORS RESPOND

SEATTLE - The U.S. Coast Guard and Washington Department of Ecology
are overseeing the salvage of a tug boat that sunk in the Duwamish
Waterway this morning.

U.S. Coast Guard Sector Seattle received a call at 11:51 a.m., that the
tug boat Island Brave, owned by Island Tug and Barge, was sinking at
Terminal 7 in the Port of Seattle.

Coast Guard pollution investigators and representatives from the
Department of Ecology were dispatched. Port of Seattle Police and the
Seattle Fire Department fireboat Chief Seattle also responded.

The Island Brave sunk at about 1:30 p.m. A minor diesel sheen was
observed after the vessel sunk, but containment boom and absorbent
materials were placed around the vessel to contain the pollution.

A contractor, Global Diving and Salvage, has been hired by the owner of
the tug to respond to the pollution and to raise the sunken vessel.
Divers have successfully plugged the vents of the tug's fuel tanks
limiting the further release of fuel on board. The onboard tanks of
the Island Brave have a potential capacity of 31,000 gallons of diesel
fuel.

Plans to raise the Island Brave are in development with operations
tentatively planned for Monday morning. Coast Guard Sector Seattle and
Washington State Department of Ecology will continue to monitor the
pollution response and mitigation efforts, and raising of the vessel.

The cause of the sinking is under investigation

thunder

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:13:26 +0000, Calif Bill wrote:

Probably not. a newer 106' Tractor tug, carries 130k gallons. Twin Cats,
pumping out 2500HP. That equates to 90gph.

Does 90 gph equal 4 t/day? Beats me. Fortunately, I've never had to buy
diesel by the ton. ;-)

http://www.islandtug.com/All_Vessel_...rave_Stats.htm

Wayne.B

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:07:37 -0500, thunder
wrote:

Does 90 gph equal 4 t/day? Beats me. Fortunately, I've never had to buy
diesel by the ton. ;-)

90 gph is about a ton every 3 hours at roughly 7lbs/gal.

Calif Bill

wrote:

Does 90 gph equal 4 t/day? Beats me. Fortunately, I've never had to buy
diesel by the ton. ;-)

90 gph is about a ton every 3 hours at roughly 7lbs/gal.

The guy I know who drives the tug was on a crew that picked up 3 in Japan
and drove them back to Oakland. The even fished for tuna on the trip with a
few hookups. That would probably make for a dent in the tankage. Since
they spend a week on the tug, maybe they only fuel up weekly?