rcoleman

Default Cape Fear-lost petroleum barge

Here's the USCG story. The Coast Guard is currently responding to a distress
call from the 135-foot tugboat, Valour, towing a 500-foot barge loaded with
approximately 140,000 barrels of petroleum by-product 37 miles off the coast
of Cape Fear, N.C.

How do you call a 500ft barge missing? Does that mean sunk?

https://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/586/109280/

Doug Kanter

"rcoleman" wrote in message
news
Here's the USCG story. The Coast Guard is currently responding to a
distress call from the 135-foot tugboat, Valour, towing a 500-foot barge
loaded with approximately 140,000 barrels of petroleum by-product 37 miles
off the coast of Cape Fear, N.C.

How do you call a 500ft barge missing? Does that mean sunk?

https://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/586/109280/

Is a 135 tug boat really supposed to be out in 15-20 foot seas?

rcoleman

It doesn't sound like the best float plan, does it. I just read they have
"located" the barge adrift in the atlantic. I live in the area, so I'm
hoping the wind keeps it offshore. I'm not sure what "petroleum byproducts"
are but I hope they don't have to clean it up later.
Now I wish I'd gotten that VHF radio just to listen in.

Hey - Gene Kearns, you're down in Southport, what do you hear about this?

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

news

"rcoleman" wrote in message
It doesn't sound like the best float plan, does it.

No, it doesn't. I know what pulling a teenager on a tube does to the angle
of my boat. Multiply that by a very large number, and I wonder if that
captain had any second thoughts about his career choice.

Wayne.B

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:44:05 GMT, "rcoleman"
wrote:
Here's the USCG story. The Coast Guard is currently responding to a distress
call from the 135-foot tugboat, Valour, towing a 500-foot barge loaded with
approximately 140,000 barrels of petroleum by-product 37 miles off the coast
of Cape Fear, N.C.

How do you call a 500ft barge missing? Does that mean sunk?

https://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/586/109280/

=============

Here is a fairly comprehensive news article:

http://tinyurl.com/ayvv2

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=tug

The tug sank in 15 to 20 ft seas, 2 dead, 1 missing, 6 rescued, barge
still adrift. It must have been a nightmare to those involved.

Wayne.B

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 03:10:19 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

Wayne pretty much summed it up. We specifically *didn't* go out this
past weekend because of high winds and high seas.... I can't only try
to imagine how bad it must have been trying to tow that load....

We were off of Cape Fear twice last year. The interaction of the Gulf
Stream with the shoals seems to produce some very odd sea states even
in relatively calm weather.