Skipper

Default Giant Mexican Needlefish

Found an interesting page on the Giant Mexican Needlefish this morning.
Reminded me of an encounter I had with these creatures while diving off
a rocky shore in the Cortez many years ago. In that encounter I was
approached by hundreds of these 5-foot toothy palagics. The school came
directly for me and circled in ever tightening constrictions. When the
school was within touching distance, I made a hasty retreat by diving
directly through the circling threat.

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/gmneed/gmneed.htm

BTW, the site also has an excellent fish ID section:
http://tinyurl.com/9939l

--
Skipper
Wayne.B

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:48:30 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Skipper wrote:
Found an interesting page on the Giant Mexican Needlefish this morning.
Reminded me of an encounter I had with these creatures while diving off
a rocky shore in the Cortez many years ago. In that encounter I was
approached by hundreds of these 5-foot toothy palagics.

More likely, a Short Guys Gay Bar in Wichita.

======================================

Do you think Snipper is a little light in his flippers?

Reggie Smithers

wrote:

Skipper wrote:
Found an interesting page on the Giant Mexican Needlefish this morning.
Reminded me of an encounter I had with these creatures while diving off
a rocky shore in the Cortez many years ago. In that encounter I was
approached by hundreds of these 5-foot toothy palagics.

More likely, a Short Guys Gay Bar in Wichita.

======================================

Do you think Snipper is a little light in his flippers?

Wayne,
As tempting as it is, if we continue a flame, the NG will revert back to
it's old ways very quickly.

--
Reggie
If you would like to make rec.boats an enjoyable place to discuss
Skipper

Reggie Smithers wrote:

Wayne,
As tempting as it is, if we continue a flame, the NG will revert back to
it's old ways very quickly.

As tempting as it is, I've not flamed those idiots who continue to dump
their 30 to 50 mindless drivels on the NG. And it is tempting, as they
continue to demonstrate dense, dull, and duh. I suspect their daily NG
musings are the supreme highlights of their ignoble and uneventful
lives, their perceived 15 minutes of fame.

--
Skipper

Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

Skipper wrote:

Found an interesting page on the Giant Mexican Needlefish this
morning. Reminded me of an encounter I had with these creatures while
diving off a rocky shore in the Cortez many years ago. In that
encounter I was approached by hundreds of these 5-foot toothy
palagics. The school came directly for me and circled in ever
tightening constrictions. When the school was within touching
distance, I made a hasty retreat by diving directly through the
circling threat.

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/gmneed/gmneed.htm

BTW, the site also has an excellent fish ID section:
http://tinyurl.com/9939l

I believe the closest he ever got to the Gulf of California was a trip
to Tijuana, and that his "knowledge" of that area is cribbed from the
Classic Comics version of Steinbeck's writings and travel and fishing
postings to the internet.

Can't say I blame an East Coaster for being upset at seeing the broad
palate of great gamefish offered in West Coast waters. Hey, just enjoy
what you have, Krause. Lot's of sport in those little East Coast
croakers 'n grunts. Heck, that's what they make 4 oz. test for. And
let's face it, Krause, fished out is fished out. And let's not forget
the added sport you get dodging overly aggressive Floriduh fish
cops...slot limits...and contaminated waters.

On the West Coast it's "fish on." On the East Coast it's "oh my god, MY
GOD, it's a...it's a...FISH!"

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/fish.htm

--
Skipper
Wayne.B

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 19:15:44 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

Do you think Snipper is a little light in his flippers?

wrong newsgroup.

You need to get your funny bone checked...

:-)

Skipper

Gene Kearns wrote:

Can't say I blame an East Coaster for being upset at seeing the broad
palate of great gamefish offered in West Coast waters.

Putzed around the house a while, since it was too cold to hit the water.
Charged the batteries on the boat...Took the ferry over to Wilmington
and wandered around in a book store for a couple of hours...we had fresh
venison marinating for supper

Frankly, I'll take 4 oz. test line, grunts, and croakers...

So, Skipper, have any pictures...

You desire *more* needlefishing info?

--
Skipper
JohnH

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:23:04 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:52:45 -0600 in rec.boats, Skipper penned the
following thoughts:

Can't say I blame an East Coaster for being upset at seeing the broad
palate of great gamefish offered in West Coast waters.

More power to 'em and I hope they had as much fun today as we did.
Got up, grabbed some hot fresh coffee and walked along the beach
watching the sun come up. Came back and had breakfast... a local
delicacy, shrimp and grits. Putzed around the house a while, since it
was too cold to hit the water. Charged the batteries on the boat and
put a new thermostat in our new (to us) tow vehicle. Took the ferry
over to Wilmington and wandered around in a book store for a couple of
hours. Recalling that we had fresh venison marinating for supper, we
came back to the island, drove out to the point, and watched the sun
set.... a pretty complete day!

Now, the fire is going in the fireplace, the better half is grilling
the venison, Poirot is on the toob, and I'm just finishing this post.

Frankly, I'll take 4 oz. test line, grunts, and croakers at the coast
to wishfully polishing my 9/0 reel loaded with 150# test line and
living 2,000 miles from either coast.

So, Skipper, have any pictures of the 2252 Bayliner or any recent
boating experiences to share?

A good recipe for venison would sure be appreciated!
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******
Skipper

Gene Kearns wrote:

Skipper penned the following thoughts:

You desire *more* needlefishing info?

I desire neither needlefish information nor, especially, your
predilection toward selective editing.

But you are so...so...so deserving.

--
Skipper