stealth

Default Just curious.

Since I have noticed that many boat dealers are not at marinas, how does one
address warranty issues/repairs if the boat is too large to trailer sans a
commerial carrier? Does this factor limit someone to only buy from dealers
located at a marina, which limits the choices quite drastically?

Thanks.

Gould 0738

Since I have noticed that many boat dealers are not at marinas, how does one
address warranty issues/repairs if the boat is too large to trailer sans a
commerial carrier? Does this factor limit someone to only buy from dealers
located at a marina, which limits the choices quite drastically?

Thanks.

Your dealer will dispatch a mechanic to the boat's location. (Or subcontract
with a local wrench). If a repair requires that your boat be hauled out, that
will be done at a nearby boat yard. You think the dealer is a ways away? Your
warranty is primarily from the boat's mfgr- most likely in another state. :-)
stealth

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Since I have noticed that many boat dealers are not at marinas, how does

one
address warranty issues/repairs if the boat is too large to trailer sans

commerial carrier? Does this factor limit someone to only buy from

dealers
located at a marina, which limits the choices quite drastically?

Thanks.

Your dealer will dispatch a mechanic to the boat's location. (Or

subcontract
with a local wrench). If a repair requires that your boat be hauled out,

that
will be done at a nearby boat yard.

**Who pays to have the boat "hauled out"? And if it needs to be trucked
somewhere, that would get quite pricey, wouldn't it? By a "boat yard", I
assume that is a marina?

You think the dealer is a ways away? Your
warranty is primarily from the boat's mfgr- most likely in another state.

:-)

**Yes, I have heard where boats are sometimes taken back to the factory for
repairs. I don't understand how this can be cost efficient if the boat
requires a tractor trailer/permits to move it. Is this the norm as well?

Thanks.

Gould 0738

**Who pays to have the boat "hauled out"? And if it needs to be trucked
somewhere, that would get quite pricey, wouldn't it? By a "boat yard", I
assume that is a marina?

Could depend on why the boat is being hauled, but the cost of the haul out
would ordinarily be absorbed by the seller if its part of the procedure
necessary to do a repair. A boat yard is different than a marina, at least by
my definition. A boat yard is a facility primarily dedicated to the repair and
maintenance of boats, while a marina is dedicated to mooring boats on a
temporary or permanent basis. Many boat yards are adjacent to marinas, but you
can have a marina without a boatyard and a boatyard without a marina.

**Yes, I have heard where boats are sometimes taken back to the factory for
repairs. I don't understand how this can be cost efficient if the boat
requires a tractor trailer/permits to move it. Is this the norm as well?

Thanks.

It can be very expensive to haul a boat back to the factory. Most common reason
would be a major structural problem with the hull, deck, or superstructure-
something of such magnitude that the savings available by using the less costly
labor at the plant will more than offset the
cost (and hassle) of transport.

Your seller will ordinarily opt for fixing something as cost effectively as
possible.
Most repairs are going to be insignificant enough that paying $80-100 an hour
for on-site technicians is still cheaper than spending a couple of thousand or
more towing the boat down the freeway.

stealth

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
**Who pays to have the boat "hauled out"? And if it needs to be trucked
somewhere, that would get quite pricey, wouldn't it? By a "boat yard", I
assume that is a marina?

Could depend on why the boat is being hauled, but the cost of the haul out
would ordinarily be absorbed by the seller if its part of the procedure
necessary to do a repair.

**I was thinking like automobile warranties where the dealer says, "sure,
bring it in and we'll fix it! Of course, if it needs towed, that's on your
dime." This is why I was wondering how a boat dealer could expect a customer
to "bring in" a 40' boat, and whether or not they were required under
warranty to repair it where ever the boat was docked rather than at their
dealership.

A boat yard is different than a marina, at least by
my definition. A boat yard is a facility primarily dedicated to the repair

and
maintenance of boats, while a marina is dedicated to mooring boats on a
temporary or permanent basis. Many boat yards are adjacent to marinas, but

you
can have a marina without a boatyard and a boatyard without a marina.

**Understood.

[...]

Good explanation. Thanks!

stealth

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
The particulars:

It amazes me that they are even able to sell large boats under these
circumstances. The dealers basically choose to set up shop inland, then tell
you to get the boat to them the best way you can and we "might" repair it
under warranty. And the factory couldn't care less. That said, do new boats
come with a new jar of vasoline?!!

Thanks for the info.

stealth

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:07:35 -0400, "stealth"
wrote:

One can state this another way.... no warranty service (or any other
service) shall be performed without paying the authorized dealer to
haul and transport said boat to dealer's lot (unless the boat is small
enough for the owner to transport the boat.)

Dealer cites this as a liability issue. (Yeah, right.)
--

Kind of gives you a wartm fuzzy feeling, doesn't it?!! I'm surprised that
buyers put up with this type of service. Especially given the high cost of

Thanks.

Paul Schilter

stealth,
Well this attitude was typical in the auto industry until the imports
started to deliver a better product with better customer service. If the
American boat builders don't wake up perhaps history will unfortunately
repeat itself, more Americans will be out of work due to companies short
sightedness.
Paul

.. .