Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.racing
Harlan Lachman

Default Racing books

After more than a 30 year absence as crew, I find that I will be racing
my boat in PHRF club races this season -- almost all windward - leward
races.

My wife purchased me a book for my birthday but as I read it, I realized
two things: I did not understand a lot of what was written (the terms
and explanations were too confusing) and what I did understand seemed
like common sense (learn where the breezes are -- get your sail maker to
show you how to trim your sails for optimum performance in different
conditions).

I could use some recommendations of a good how to book which assumes you
know how to sail and trim your sails but gives you advice which
addresses the rules which a new racer is unlikely to be familiar with
and tips to avoid common mistakes (more than learn where the breezes
are). Something that might be useful if you know your boat is (supposed
to be) the fastest in your class, how to determine favored end of a
start and when being balled up in bad air eliminates the advantage,
light air strategy, etc.

Thoughts?

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

Basic Racing Query Capt. Rob ASA 4 January 5th 06 08:58 PM
Boston Dragon Boat Racing Seeks Men and Women psynch General 0 November 23rd 05 04:50 AM
It's My Life - music racing video clip Marek \Wayfarer\ Touring 1 November 21st 05 11:00 PM
Folding racing K1 S I Lent UK Paddle 2 October 24th 05 07:31 PM