Eisboch

Default Winter boating

Took a ride down to Kingman Marina today. The Navigator had been hauled
back in October for hull cleaning, inspection and new zincs for a (at the
time) possible trip south to Florida. It was then put back in the slip
awaiting my decision. Things didn't work out for the trip and I decided to
try a wet storage this year. The engines and water systems have been
winterized (Kingman went ahead and performed the tasks without me even
calling - really nice to know your boat is being taken care of in your
absence.) They left notes all over the place to let me know what they did.
All the seacocks are closed, etc.

I really enjoyed a couple of hours on it. Shore power is on, the TV and
computer work and a small ceramic heater quickly took the chill out of the
main cabin. There is a thin layer of ice on the water but the bubbler
systems keep the boat hulls in liquid. I watched as one of the employees
piloted an old, small tugboat around the slips, acting as a mini ice
breaker.

One of my slip neighbors was working on his 58' Hatteras beside me. We
chatted for a while and the subject came up regarding block heaters. My
Volvo engines don't have them, but I had purchased a set that stick to the
bottom of the oil pans, but I haven't installed them yet. I asked the
neighbor if he ran block heaters and he invited me over to visit his engine
room. It was 28 degrees outside, but his engine room was warm and toasty at
65 degrees. Once the blocks warm up they are very effective room heaters.
I'll be back down there tomorrow or Thursday to install mine.

Looking forward to spending a snowstorm on the boat this winter. If it has
to snow, I am going to enjoy it, dammit!

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

"Ice breaker"? "Bubbler"? "28 degrees?"

Too bad. Winter boating in the Pacific NW is exactly the same as summer
boating.
(45 degrees and pouring like a firehose). Looking forward to getting
off the dock for at least a day during the last week of the month. :-)

West Coast Boating Forum Lloyd Sumpter General 96 November 18th 05 07:07 PM
Safest Year on Record......... [email protected] General 1 November 12th 05 01:11 PM
Boating Group ed General 10 November 8th 05 05:24 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM