BoatBanter.com

-   -   NYT 'SPYING' SPLASH TIED TO BOOK RELEASE (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/64204-nyt-spying-splash-tied-book-release.html)

Smithers December 17th 05 04:02 AM

NYT 'SPYING' SPLASH TIED TO BOOK RELEASE

JohnH,
GMTA or is that FMTA?

"JohnH" wrote in message
On 16 Dec 2005 18:30:05 -0800, wrote:

JohnH wrote:

The vote was 53 to 47. Seven short of the 60 needed. "Soundly defeated"
indeed.

ROTFLMAO........if memory serves me well, a national vote decided by
the same percentage, just thirteen months ago, was a "Rout!" a
"Mandate" a "Total Repudiation of Moderates and Liberals".........
"Vindication for Bush, Limbaugh, and the Conservative Agenda," "An
overhwelming stamp of approval for the war in Iraq"......... yada,
yada, yada

funny how standards change, :-)

There you are! Why didn't you address my question New Year's
resolutions?

I don't recall the words 'rout', 'total repudiation', 'vindication',
'overwhelming' being used.
Could you show me?
--
John Herring

Hope your Christmas is Spectacular!
...and your New Year even Better!

JohnH December 17th 05 04:06 AM

NYT 'SPYING' SPLASH TIED TO BOOK RELEASE

Definitely not the latter!

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:02:52 -0500, "Smithers" Yes, Smithers is not my real name. wrote:

JohnH,
GMTA or is that FMTA?

.. .

JohnH wrote:

[...]

May your Christmas be Spectacular!
....and your New Year even Better!

Smithers December 17th 05 04:09 AM

NYT 'SPYING' SPLASH TIED TO BOOK RELEASE

Then it must be GMTA.

"JohnH" wrote in message
Definitely not the latter!

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:02:52 -0500, "Smithers" Yes, Smithers is not my
real name. wrote:

JohnH,
GMTA or is that FMTA?

. ..

JohnH December 17th 05 04:22 AM

NYT 'SPYING' SPLASH TIED TO BOOK RELEASE

I can't believe Harry is saying I'm telling lies about him. Now I feel bad. I'm thinking of changing
my name to Don.

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:09:02 -0500, "Smithers" Yes, Smithers is not my real name. wrote:

Then it must be GMTA.

"JohnH" wrote in message
.. .
Definitely not the latter!

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:02:52 -0500, "Smithers" Yes, Smithers is not my
real name. wrote:

JohnH,
GMTA or is that FMTA?

[email protected] December 17th 05 04:24 AM

JohnH wrote:

The vote was 53 to 47. Seven short of the 60 needed. "Soundly defeated" indeed.

ROTFLMAO........if memory serves me well, a national vote decided by
the same percentage, just thirteen months ago, was a "Rout!" a
"Mandate" a "Total Repudiation of Moderates and Liberals".........
"Vindication for Bush, Limbaugh, and the Conservative Agenda," "An
overhwelming stamp of approval for the war in Iraq"......... yada,
yada, yada

funny how standards change, :-)

There you are! Why didn't you address my question New Year's resolutions?

I don't recall the words 'rout', 'total repudiation', 'vindication', 'overwhelming' being used.
Could you show me?
--
John Herring

"Rout": columnist Randall Nunn, American Daily, one of a bunch in the
search engine

"Repudiation": The results are a repudiation of Kerry, the first
Catholic nominated for president since 1960. Kerry's support of
abortion rights and embryonic stem-cell ...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nation ...
ics/2002084916_catholic08.html , one of a bunch in the search engine.

I'll let you sleuth out vindication and overwhelming. Easily done.

Sorry, but I didn't see your question about the New Year's resolutions.
There are too many posts to read them all, especially since most of
them are just volleys in the name calling and pig piling wars.

JohnH December 17th 05 04:32 AM

NYT 'SPYING' SPLASH TIED TO BOOK RELEASE

On 16 Dec 2005 20:24:32 -0800, wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On 16 Dec 2005 18:30:05 -0800,
wrote:

JohnH wrote:

[...]

Yes, it's the name-calling and pig-piling that should be stopped. Wayne suggested that it might be
part of a New Year's resolution. Sounds like a pretty good idea.

As to the rest, I guess you're right - standards change!

[email protected] December 17th 05 05:11 AM

JohnH wrote:
On 16 Dec 2005 20:24:32 -0800, wrote:

JohnH wrote:
On 16 Dec 2005 18:30:05 -0800,
wrote:

JohnH wrote:

[...]

The only way for name calling and "side-choosing" (aka pig piling) to
stop will be for each one of us to consciously avoid participating in
it and by attempting to ignore those who do.

I see little hope of this ever happening in rec.boats. Our most
prolific poster freely admits that he enjoys stirring up the "right
wing trash", and he has a whole crew of people who spend entire
weekends hovering over their keyboards waiting for him to post anything
at all so they can call him a "liar", (and worse).

There is so little boating content here, as a direct result of the
abuses by Harry, Smithers, Gould, NOYB, Hertvik, Herring, Basskisser,
Bert, Jack Goff, JPS, and of course the reanimated Skipper that the
group is irretrievably in the toilet. Most of the folks in the above
list are off topic at least 90% of the time. When "Harry Krause is
a.............." threads get 200 or 300 posts and a boating thread gets
2 or 3, trying to maintain any facade that this is a boating group is
certainly ridiculous.was the last time a new personality showed up in
the group (aside from one of Smithers' 1000 aliases) and stayed for
more than a couple of days? What does that tell us about what the group
has become? Even scarier, what does that tell us about those of us who
seem to flourish in the daily exchange of crappy personal remarks and
the endless resurrection of old fights based on something (or the
misrepresentation of something) that was posted, in many cases, several
years ago?

As long as Harry's hobby is stirring up his fan club, and as long as
there are a dozen people here for no other reason than to pitch Harry a
bunch of crap everyday, the NG is toast. It would take a group of
adults to break the cycle. It doesn't even take 100 percent
participation- but the first step would probably have to involve
certain individuals reaching decisions that their behavior in the group
will be determined by their own conscious choices rather than by
involuntary reactions to something posted by some "commie, pinko
liberal" or "conservatrash".

Skipper December 17th 05 06:49 AM

wrote:

[...]

I do not believe Smithers, Gould, NOYB, Hertvick, Herring, Bert and
Skipper are the problem. JPS can be ignored, but Krause, ahh Krause, now
there is *the* problem. Nothing can be done while while that troll posts
his personal insults here. Do you have a final solution to the Harry
Krause infestation?

We can petition that the NG go moderated, but that has its own problems.
Where can we find one who will allow occasional banter and still control
Harry? Let's face it, part of the attraction of this group is the off
topic banter.

--
Skipper

[email protected] December 17th 05 07:34 AM

Skipper wrote:
Do you have a final solution to the Harry
Krause infestation?

--
Skipper

I have a Crescent wrench solution. One size fits all infestations from
any source, (sort of). While many people like to dump all the blame on
Harry, there is plenty to go around.
Your skirts are not entirely clean, nor are mine, nor are many others'.

Consider the following parable:

A man visited his doctor to complain, "Doc, every time I raise my arm
above my shoulder, it hurts like hell!"

The doctor said, "Well, that's easy, just don't raise your arm above
your shoulder."

If every time somebody responds to a troll in rec.boats the group goes
to hell, then the anwer is easy. Nothing looks more lonesome or more
foolish than a troll that nobody is responding to. If you think Harry
is a troll, don't respond. I am making a not-always-entirely successful
effort to control my own responses to trolls, stay out of ****ing
matches, and avoid name calling. I believe that there are other people
in this group specifically *to* engage in that sort of behavior, but it
is not my place or right to judge them or demand that they change their
ways. If I control my own destiny and don't let other people determine
what my reactionary behavior "has to be", the group will be a little
bit better than if I go out of my way to pick fights, call names, start
attack threads, join in a pig pile, etc. If one or two other people
also try to stay out of fights, avoid name calling, avoid pig piling,
and refrain from launching attack threads then the group gets better
yet.

None of us can decide what the "group" will do, nor can/should we wait
for the group to modify its behavior before we take responsibility for
our own. At least that's my opinion, as requested, and its an attitude
that might work to take the group back from the brink of extinction.
Things are currently about as bad as they have ever been in the NG, and
far, far worse than the recent average. Too bad, IMO.

Have a pleasant Saturday, I'll be off to help my Mom celebrate her 75th
birthday tomorrow.

P. Fritz December 17th 05 01:00 PM

NYT 'SPYING' SPLASH TIED TO BOOK RELEASE

" JimH" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...

JohnH wrote:

The vote was 53 to 47. Seven short of the 60 needed. "Soundly

defeated"
indeed.

ROTFLMAO........if memory serves me well, a national vote decided by
the same percentage, just thirteen months ago, was a "Rout!" a
"Mandate" a "Total Repudiation of Moderates and Liberals".........
"Vindication for Bush, Limbaugh, and the Conservative Agenda," "An
overhwelming stamp of approval for the war in Iraq"......... yada,
yada, yada

funny how standards change, :-)

Yeah, imagine anyone winning by a mere 3.5 million votes calling it a

rout.
LOL!

Of course the liebrals called clinton's victory with less than 50% of the
vote a "mandate"

LMAO