posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Bryan

Default Bow and Stern Anchoring at Catalina Island

I'm skeptical that we can do any better than a guess, but I'm wondering if
anyone knows, really knows, why we anchor bow and stern at Catalina Island
(California).

Is it because of wind or swell direction? Or is it because of trying to
squeeze in as many boats as possible in the overcrowded anchorages?

There is an onshore wind to offshore wind shift each day. It is also a high
population density zone in the summer.

Just asking for fun.

Bryan

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Alan Gomes

Bryan,
I anchor at various coves in Catalina all the time.

At Cat Harbor it is most common to anchor on only one hook on fairly short
scope. Some boats will use two hooks (bow and stern), though it generally is
a minority in this cove. Cat Harbor has quite a bit of open anchorage area,
so there is a bit more swinging room here.

I was over at Whites during the Labor Day weekend and there were rows upon
rows of boats at anchor (just outside of the moorings), parallel to one
another and close together, anchored bow and stern. Clearly the purpose for
two anchors was to prevent swinging.

--Alan Gomes

"Bryan" wrote in message
om...
I'm skeptical that we can do any better than a guess, but I'm wondering if
anyone knows, really knows, why we anchor bow and stern at Catalina Island
(California).

Is it because of wind or swell direction? Or is it because of trying to
squeeze in as many boats as possible in the overcrowded anchorages?

There is an onshore wind to offshore wind shift each day. It is also a
high population density zone in the summer.

Just asking for fun.

Bryan

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Bryan

om...

"Alan Gomes" wrote in message
... Bryan,
I anchor at various coves in Catalina all the time.

At Cat Harbor it is most common to anchor on only one hook on fairly short
scope. Some boats will use two hooks (bow and stern), though it generally
is a minority in this cove. Cat Harbor has quite a bit of open anchorage
area, so there is a bit more swinging room here.

I was over at Whites during the Labor Day weekend and there were rows upon
rows of boats at anchor (just outside of the moorings), parallel to one
another and close together, anchored bow and stern. Clearly the purpose
for two anchors was to prevent swinging.

--Alan Gomes

Alan,
Did you get over to the isthmus during Labor Day weekend? If so, did you
notice if Cat Harbor was crowded, or not? I always avoid big weekends
because of anchoring; I don't have enough ground tackle to feel safe
anchoring in those depths outside the moorings. I do like beaches and
islands when they are crowded as much as I enjoy them when they are isolated
(I guess I just like being at a party). Maybe Cat Harbor is an option for
me on the big weekends. I've only had to anchor once in lieu of a mooring,
but that was close in at Emerald Cove; otherwise all my bow/stern anchoring
has been at Rippers for day trips.
Bryan

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Alan Gomes

Bryan,

On this particular Labor Day I did not get up to the Isthmus. I actually
anchored just inside Long Point--on a single anchor. I arrived earlier that
week and left at 7:00 am on Sunday. Upon leaving I motored around the
adjacent coves (Whites, Moonstone, etc.) and the conditions were as I
described: packed like sardines! Yes, it was a zoo once the weekend arrived.
Long Point was not a good place to be anchored because of all of the fast
power boat traffic kicking up a swell. I had out a flopper stopper which
helped, but it was uncomfortable.

I agree about trying to avoid the crowds. I make relatively few trips over
there in the summer but many in the off season. The best time (in my
opinion) is spring (March through May). Fall is good also if you dodge the
Santa Anas.

Cat Harbor has the best anchorage in my opinion, strictly from an anchoring
standpoint. It has excellent holding ground and calm water. Plus there's
lots of space. I don't think Cat Harbor is the prettiest cove, though. One
downside to Cat Harbor is that it's a longer trip around West End. But that
extra bit of isolation does tend to make it less populated. Even on weekends
when every mooring is filled at both the Isthmus and Avalon you can often
get one at Cat Harbor, which tends to fill up last. And you can pretty much
figure that there will be sufficient room to anchor no matter what.

Another nice cove on the back side is Little Harbor, just about 3 or 4 miles
from Cat Harbor. You tuck yourself in behind a reef, which helps cut down on
the surge. There is not a lot of room for too many boats but in the off
season it's no problem. Also, the way the terrain is you've got a solid cell
phone signal there, if that matters to you.

Rippers is nice but doesn't have that much room. Plus, in my own case I
typically need to remain in cell phone contact and so that limits me. At
least with my service (Cingular) I could not maintain cell contact from
Rippers. Emerald Bay is beautiful but pretty limited as far as anchoring
goes. Cell coverage is marginal but works well enough. I was there this last
June with some friends. We competed in the ARRL ham radio Field Day as a
maritime mobile from there. Lots of fun.

Where is your boat located? I'm out of San Pedro (Holiday Harbor, Berth 34)

Regards,
Alan Gomes (1987 Catalina 30 "Sola Scriptura")

"Bryan" wrote in message
. net...

om...

"Alan Gomes" wrote in message
[...]

"Alan Gomes" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'm north of San Francisco! I come down to Marina Del Rey once or twice each
summer and charter a 30 foot Catalina from Marina Sailing for a couple of 4
day getaways. Otherwise I have a little 18 foot runabout to play in between
sailing trips. I charter 30 plus footers from Club Nautique for sailing in
San Francisco Bay. And from San Diego Yacht Charters for my Isla Coronado
and San Diego Bay trips. I made the Catalina trip a few years ago for
Thanksgiving; good weather, but swells were up and no wind (family didn't
enjoy that ride). I tend to stick to summer for the predictable wind and
warmest water.

So I've got to ask, what is it about March through May that makes it your
preferred season? It is definitely not the water temp! Is it dependable
wind for sailing? Is it the absence of crowds? We went to Avalon last
Spring for a week; great weather, but no wind.

I hiked from Two Harbors to Little Harbor and it looks like a great little
hideaway, but my charter agreement does not allow me to enter Little Harbor
because of the reef. The harbor is within my abilities, but I tend not to
break agreements I have with others.

Ripper's is just a day stop for me, as is Avalon. I prefer a mooring at Two
Harbors and take day trips from there.
I don't need to remain in cell contact, but you're right; with Cingular I
basically don't have a phone when I get to the island.

Some day I want to get my hands on Little Geiger's only mooring and try that
for some isolation. Emerald Bay was my first Catalina stop ever; the other
visits are starting to run together, but the first always stands out.

Bryan

[...]

I really like the spring over there because often (though not always) the
weather is decent and you'll have the place to yourself. I love to avoid the
crowds. I like to go over with my kids during their spring break. Fall is
also good in terms of crowds, but from mid-October until February or so you
run the risk of Santa Anas. I do go over there in the fall but I watch the
weather very carefully as a Santa Ana can blow up on fairly short notice. In
the fall and winter I do tend to go over to Cat Harbor on the back side,
because it's very sheltered for a Santa Ana: not in terms of the wind (which
blows like stink through the pass) but the water is flat even with strong
winds from the NE. Wells Beach (in the NW corner of Cat Harbor) is probably
the most sheltered for a Santa Ana. Avalon and the Isthmus are not places
you want to be in a Santa Ana of any strength.

Actually, in some coves my cell phone works better than it does on the
mainland! Avalon, Isthmus, Cat Harbor, and Little Harbor are full signal.
The problem is with some of the outlying coves, depending on the terrain.

Regards,
Alan Gomes

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Alan Gomes wrote:
Bryan,

On this particular Labor Day I did not get up to the Isthmus. I actually
anchored just inside Long Point--on a single anchor. I arrived earlier that
week and left at 7:00 am on Sunday. Upon leaving I motored around the
adjacent coves (Whites, Moonstone, etc.) and the conditions were as I
described: packed like sardines! Yes, it was a zoo once the weekend arrived.
Long Point was not a good place to be anchored because of all of the fast
power boat traffic kicking up a swell. I had out a flopper stopper which
helped, but it was uncomfortable.

I agree about trying to avoid the crowds. I make relatively few trips over
there in the summer but many in the off season. The best time (in my
opinion) is spring (March through May). Fall is good also if you dodge the
Santa Anas.

So, the Santa Ana issue is a sea state issue not a return issue?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Bryan

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
In article ,
Alan Gomes wrote:
I agree about trying to avoid the crowds. I make relatively few trips over
there in the summer but many in the off season. The best time (in my
opinion) is spring (March through May). Fall is good also if you dodge the
Santa Anas.

So, the Santa Ana issue is a sea state issue not a return issue?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

J,

The Santa Ana's can be thought of as a howling offshore wind. I've taken
advantage of lightweight Santa Ana's in San Diego; makes for some great
surfing when a strong swell is present or makes for a full speed near shore
ride in your Catalina 30 "sled". The Santa Ana winds can be gale force,
even approaching, historically, near-hurricane strength. As I said, I've
never experienced the Santa Ana's at Catalina Island; if they are expected,
I won't sail to the island (not a real problem for me as my island sailing
is summer and the winds generally kick up in fall and winter). It's a 25 to
30 mile fetch from mainland to island so the seas can kick up pretty good
and anchoring or mooring on the lee shore is a problem. When you get to Two
Harbors you can check out some historical photos of the damage the Santa
Ana's can cause to boats and structures on the lee shore.

Bryan

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Alan Gomes

. net...

Alan Gomes wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure I understood your question, but Bryan pretty much summarized
it. Virtually all of the coves on the north side of the Island (with the
possible exception of Big Fisherman's at the Isthmus--which is privately
controlled by USC) are exposed to the NE, which puts you on a dangerous lee
shore. In a strong Santa Ana condition (as opposed to the light ones we
sometimes get) the waves can get rather large and slam straight into these
coves. I've been over there several times during these conditions--both on
the front (north) and back side. Although the wind will still howl even on
the back side (e.g., Cat Harbor) the water remains flat and so it's not such
a big deal; it's the wave action that makes these particularly dangerous.

Alan Gomes

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Bill McKee

"Alan Gomes" wrote in message

. net...

Alan Gomes wrote:
[...]

Only major Santa Ana I ever experienced was on the Catalina Express. Even
50% of the crew was sick. Chairs sliding around. Major swells. the
locals say go expecting to stay the night. You may have to leave early in
the morning to beat the winds.