Default Best Handheld VHF?

Bill McKee wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:

The CG has a higher antenna and better receivers?

A friend of my brother's who lives close to the PA-NY border built a
Beverage Antenna on his hill, and can receive CG transmissions from Key
West, FL!!

Is that one of those Southern things. Where they stack the beer cans into
tower? Then hook up the antenna leads to it? Cool.

Ah, an ALLEGED electrical engineer (handyman?) and he doesn't know what
a Beverage antenna is.

I can prove my degree. San Francisco State University.

Okay.....waiting.....

Lord Reginald Smithers

Kevin,

You need to do a better job of reading the Subject matter. We were talking
about VHF frequencies.

8.893 MHz is not a VHF frequency.

It is very common for people to bounce SW frequencies off the atmosphere.
One of the advantages of VHF is the fact they normally do not reflect off of
the atmosphere, so someone is Key West will not be stepping over someone
transmitting on their VHF in the Chesapeake Bay.

No one was questioning if SW freq. could be received farther than line of
sight.

Do you ever get tired of looking foolish?

wrote in message
ups.com...

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On 12 Dec 2005 05:23:36 -0800, wrote:

Bill McKee wrote:

The CG has a higher antenna and better receivers?

A friend of my brother's who lives close to the PA-NY border built a
Beverage Antenna on his hill, and can receive CG transmissions from Key
West, FL!!

What frequency?

Response from the person owning the antenna:
It's 8.983 MHZ and it's the upper sideband (SSB). They use several
different freqs across the shortwave bands, but this one seems to be
used the most; the base is in Chesapeake Bay; usually you hear
aircraft on routine patrol but once in a great while it gets
interesting. I also hear aircraft and cutters off puerto rico quite a
bit.

Lord Reginald Smithers

Kevin,
Can you prove your degree from U of Penn?

wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:

The CG has a higher antenna and better receivers?

A friend of my brother's who lives close to the PA-NY border built a
Beverage Antenna on his hill, and can receive CG transmissions from
Key
West, FL!!

Is that one of those Southern things. Where they stack the beer cans
into
tower? Then hook up the antenna leads to it? Cool.

Ah, an ALLEGED electrical engineer (handyman?) and he doesn't know what
a Beverage antenna is.

I can prove my degree. San Francisco State University.

Okay.....waiting.....

Bill McKee

wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill McKee wrote:

The CG has a higher antenna and better receivers?

A friend of my brother's who lives close to the PA-NY border built a
Beverage Antenna on his hill, and can receive CG transmissions from
Key
West, FL!!

Is that one of those Southern things. Where they stack the beer cans
into
tower? Then hook up the antenna leads to it? Cool.

Ah, an ALLEGED electrical engineer (handyman?) and he doesn't know what
a Beverage antenna is.

I can prove my degree. San Francisco State University.

Okay.....waiting.....

And we are waiting for yours from GT? Penn State? Reform?

-rick-

This is a re-post from 12/12, it didn't show up the first time,
sorry if you see it twice.

"Shortwave Sportfishing" wrote...
"-rick-" wrote:

Um... I thought by measuring the change in time or carrier phase/frequency
associated with a reflection, certainly not by measuring attenuation
associated
with wind.

That's a good point, but it has to bounce off something. If the air
is denser because of changes in the wind - changes in air density,
etc.

Right, it has to hit enough of an impedance change to reflect some energy. I'm
skeptical that the pressure gradient of wind is adequate in itself.

It does happen. You just have to pay attention and listen for it.

No references?

I can't find one, I'll be honest with you. I know I've seen one - I
just cant' seem to Google it up.

I do know I tried to interest some people in this a long time ago, but
was pretty much laughed at - I'm big enough to admit it. :)

I promise - I'll find that reference today and get back to you.

Later,

Tom

No rush, but if you happen across anything I'd be interested. I was curious
about the mechanism and magnitude of effect. I'll try the IEEE archives when I
get a chance.

Thanks,
-rick-