*JimH*

Default We purchased a Holdiay tree today......................

Damn it, we got it in the house and it looks just like a Christmas tree.

John H.

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:00:15 -0500, " *JimH*" wrote:

Damn it, we got it in the house and it looks just like a Christmas tree.

Well? Christmas, after all, is a Holy Day!
--
John H

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"
[A Self-obsessed Hypocrite]
William Bruce

Harry Krause wrote:
Ours will be decorated upon my wife's return from her out-a-towner.

I assume she was at a medical doctor's convention?

Best wishes of the season,
William

JR North

Careful, you're skirting the edge of PC.
JR
*JimH* wrote:

Damn it, we got it in the house and it looks just like a Christmas tree.

John H.

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 21:22:37 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

*JimH* wrote:
Damn it, we got it in the house and it looks just like a Christmas tree.

Ours will be decorated upon my wife's return from her out-a-towner. We
have a nice artificial tree, because our cats are just too fond of the
real deal. One of them, especially, likes to climb to the top of a real
tree and then sway back and forth until he knocks it over. But he and
the others have no interest in the artificial tree, other than stealing
the tinsel and stashing it away.

Harry, when are the liberals going to start waging their campaign to
remove the crosses and the stars of David from Arlington Memorial
Cemetery?

Surely, being a union guy and all, you've got the inside track with
what the ACLUnion is doing these days.
--
John H

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"
[A Self-obsessed Hypocrite]

Sam

Harry Krause wrote:
.. We
have a nice artificial tree, because our cats are just too fond of the
real deal. One of them, especially, likes to climb to the top of a real
tree and then sway back and forth until he knocks it over.

Hang it from the ceiling. The tree, I mean. Sam

Bryan

" *JimH*" wrote in message
Damn it, we got it in the house and it looks just like a Christmas tree.

It must be defective. Are you going to return it?

Enjoy your christmas tree!

I mentioned before that my wife is jewish. Interestingly, she's the driving
force in our house for shopping for the tree. If I let her have her way,
the tree, a christmas tree, would be in, up, and decorated, before the first
truckload of the season finished unloading. In fact, she doesn't even wait
for me to put up the lights on the house; she lets me take things down, but
she's not about to wait for me to get the decorations going.

It's a christmas tree. They are christmas lights. They are christmas
decorations.

And to make this a boating thread, she wants to take our little boat, add
some christmas lights, and join the parade.

*JimH* wrote:
Damn it, we got it in the house and it looks just like a Christmas tree.

I always laugh my arse off at the very notion of a "Christmas tree."

I've even seen "Christmas Trees" set up in churches. Wow. Talk about
confused........

The decorated tree in your living room is a "pagan" symbol of the first
order. The ancient Celts and the Germanic tribes had a solstice
tradition where a small tree would be brought into the home and
showered with offerings (tinsel, jewelry, "ornaments") to honor the
Spirit of the Forest. The tree serves as a sort of altar.

As one of my friends, (a devout Christian but not a member of a
mainstream sect), points out, there is nothing in the Bible that
commands anybody to celebrate Christmas or even Easter. In fact, two of
the four New Testament gospels don't even mention The Natvity, and you
would think that hosts of angels descending from heaven wouldn't be
such a trivial detail that it was accidentally overlooked.

Is there a religious passage somewhere that says, "Go thou, chop down
a tree, bring it into your home, and make offereings unto it?" Nah,
probably not. In fact, I sort of recall that Jehovah was might upset
when some of his followers were venerating a golden calf.
It ain't that far from a calf to a tree.

Oh, and take a good close look at that holly and mistletoe while you're
at it. :-)

Can anybody who considers Christmas a Christian and religious holiday
offer a good explanation for the inculsion of a venerated tree? I'd be
fascinated to see it attempted.

wrote:

*JimH* wrote:
[...]

Why don't you turn off the radio and think for yourself?

The crosses, stars of David, and even the Moslem crescents in Arlington
National cemetary belong on the tombs. They are there to help identify
and commemorate the people who are buried there. Just like the name on
the tombstone, the religious symbols
(or lack of same), make a statement about the deceased.

Now, when you want to put a Christian Cross over the entrance and
require everybody to say Hail Mary or The Lord's Prayer when entering,
(or install the trappings of any other religion as an overall theme for
Arlington), you will indeed hear from liberals- as well as moderates,
conservatives, and lovers of the First Amendment from any political
camp.

Lord Reginald Smithers

Chuck,
The cross, the star of David or the crescent do instill an overall theme and
support of religion in all military cemeteries.

wrote in message
oups.com...