John

Default The Right Boat ?

I would appreciate input from boat owners on boat selection; both make and
size

I have not owned a boat for years but can't seem to shake the bug. I miss
not being able to go out onto the water when I feel the urge.

Now that I'm older the need for speed is not as great as it once was and
fishing is not a big draw for me. I would like something that has a small
cabin with the bear necessities in which we could get out of the weather
(usually there will be no more than 4 people). I invision the primary
purpose of the boat is to get out on the water for cruising and exploring
(getting away if you will). Most of the time will be spent in fresh water,
but there may be times where the boat may be exposed to salt or brackish
water (no open seas).

I would like to keep the price below $30K and it needs to be trailerable. I
have my eye on a Crownline 230CCR or similar Cuddy, but I am a little
worried about the small cabin (I know I said a small cabin - but there is
small and then there is small). I also like a 2001 26' Chris Craft Express
which is available locally, but the price is more than I really would like
to spend ($50K +). I've looked at a few Sea Rays any they aren't too bad,
but I don't know if it is me or the current owners, but most don't look like
they are in the best of shape for the price being asked.

Any input or guideness (is that a word?) would be appreciated.

John wrote:
[...]

What are you going to tow this with?

I would suggest looking at the largest boat your tow vehicle can
manage. Sounds pretty
simple, I admit, but how many people do you know who are wishing they
could "step up" a size or so vs. the number eager to "step down"? :-)

For use on inland or sheltered waters, and if you aren't all hung up on
a prestigious nameplate, Bayliner offers a Ciera Classic hardtop with a
cabin that would take four in a pinch, a stand-up fully enclosed head,
and a small cockpit. If fishing isn't a huge priority and you just want
something to putt around and explore with (sounds a lot like the way I
boat), this model or one of a competitor's generally like it might be
properly configured. New, I think they're around $50k or so. A few
years old, probably $30-35k. If you do some boat shopping, you will see
some differences in care devoted to fit and finish in the Bayliners vs.
some of the other boats- but unless you're headed into conditions where
the boat has no business in the first place the hull will be stout
enough and Bayliner uses the same powertrains as pretty much all of the
competing trademarks in the same category. I wouldn't say Bayliner is
the best boat in the world, (or even close), but a lot of people own
them and a majority of the owners seem satisfied. (Very high owner
loyalty at trade-up time; although some detractors will tell you that's
because nobody but a Bayliner dealer will do business with anybody who
currently owns a Bayliner.) Owning a Bayliner is like owning a Chevy;
serviceable, functional, very much OK for most purposes it would be
used for. Not a high prestige trademark, but affordable to the masses.

IMO, the Crownline you're considering is a higher quality boat.
However- *a very common mistake* is to pursue quality without
considering differences in design and adaptability.
If Crownline just doesn't build a boat in the configuration you're
looking for, but a boat that is more affordable by virtue of a
less-exacting build does, that "lesser" boat might be an excellent
choice if it is designed to meet your needs and is still adequately
stout for the intended purpose.

My two-cents worth. :-)

FishWisher

I'd suggest a C-Dory - I've owned one for a bit over six years now.
Check out C-DORY.com or if you wish to see my several photos of how
mine is laid out, check out my homepage at www.fishwisher.com and click
on the left column "FishWisher the boat".

A C-Dory is a "water jeep". It is very economical, stout, stable. The
little cabin on my boat would not serve four people, but the Cruiser
model, made on the same hull as mine which is the Angler, gives up
cockpit for a larger cabin.

They are made in Washington state. Many are sold in Alaska where they
are very popular for fishing.

Hope this helps.

Dale

I voted for Bush and proudly accept the credit.

Capt John

My last boat might fit your needs. I had a 27 Phoenix, it was built
like a battleship. It had twin inboards, but it has tunnels, so it only
draws about a foot and a half of water. You can trailer it, but would
need a good rig to pull it. They have a cuddy cabin with a seperate,
enclosed, head and it's not a porta potty. The engines have great
access, so doing repairs is easy and painless. The boat has seating for
5 and a small gally with a refrigerator, sink and some storage. They
have a nice cockpit for fishing or a few chairs. Many come with swim
platforms, so if you want to take a swim it's no big deal. I just loved
the boat and hated to sell it, but I moved up. You should be able to
find one that fits your budget. Don't be afraid of an older one, these
boats really hold up well, as long as the power is good (mine was a
1985, and was great). Check out "www.yachtworld.com", just plug in
Phoenix and the length (27). Good luck.

John

Wayne.B

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:45:57 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Parker 2320 Sport Cabin, around $50k splashed, with trailer.

http://www.parkerboats.net/pages/boa....jsp?boatid=14

It would be nice to have a little flybridge on top of that wouldn't
it? Probably do bad things to the stability but great things for view
and fresh air.

Skipper

Harry Krause wrote:

Bayliner offers a Ciera Classic hardtop with a
cabin that would take four in a pinch, a stand-up fully enclosed head,
and a small cockpit.

Making nice with Skipper?

He says that boat will carry 8 guys with full fishing gear and the
mandatory jerry jugs for a run to Cabo.

And in it you could ride out those deadly 30' waves that crop up without
notice when the tostito hits.

Suspect a trailerable 22' Bayliner would be far better choice for that
voyage from San Carlos to Cabo than a *mythical* Zimmermanlike lobster
boat. Matter of phact, I know it would!

--
Skipper

http://www.sequoiayacht.com/

Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM