~^ beancounter ~^

Default GPS for boat *and* car

i use the garmin 296 & 396 to run in a car, boat
and plane.....its a bit pricy, but you get what you pay
for...garmin makes some nice units...

www.garmin.com

Bert Robbins

"Eddie" wrote in message
On 25 Nov 2005 17:58:26 -0800, "~^ beancounter ~^"
wrote:

i use the garmin 296 & 396 to run in a car, boat
and plane.....its a bit pricy, but you get what you pay
for...garmin makes some nice units...

www.garmin.com

Let me re-phrase my post: I want to know if there is an *inexpensive*
GPS that has automotive and marine modes for navigation in a vehicle
or boat.

The Garmin GPS296 is $1,600, way too much for my pocketbook. I'm
thinking around $400.
Hopefully I can find something out there on sale during the holidays.
The closest is the GPS76. It's available at Wal-Mart for $244 but I'd
like voice prompt and color.
Do you know if the 76 has car mode? The site says: "Gives a clear
picture of where you are on the map, along with cities, highways,
lakes and much more"

Do you think the 76 is interchangeable?

You are not going to get color and voice prompting (i.e. trip routing) for
$400 when buying new.

~^ beancounter ~^

Eddie...its easy to beat garmin in price...check out the wally world
and k mart
specials....they run specials a lot....