Charlie Brown

Default Project boat - Is this boat worth it?

Someone is selling a 1972 Orlando Clipper for $1600. It is in good
condition with an 1986 trailer and Johnson 70 hp motor.

I'm trying to decide if this might be a diamond in the rough and worth
fixing up. I would paint the hull, cockpit, seats and update the
steering wheel.

Floor is solid, looks like it may have been redone somewhat recently?
Is having the interior gelcoated an option? What would something like
that cost?

Here's some photos of the boat:

http://home.sc.rr.com/linusb212/main/boat/

I suppose it dependson if you are doing it for your own satisfaction?
or doing it to eventually make a buck from it by "restoring it"

I'd say what you are paying for it, is baout wiaht it will ever be
worth. but YMMV

Here's a thread I started about something like what you are talking
about...sort of.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...7b7cdef0d417aa

Butch Davis

Charlie,

Only you can know the answer. I doubt it would be worth that to me, but if
the condition is exceptional, including motor and trailer following a
careful survey by an experienced boater and mechanic.... maybe.

If the condition is exceptional and the boat is suitable for the use you
plan it may be a worthy buy. I'd certainly try to buy it for far less than
$1600. If you decide to buy start at $600 and work up from there. Even if
the motor is in good shape it is doubtful you'll get much more life from it
and a replacement motor would cost you way more than the $1600 asking.

I'm not sure, but if you plan to use the boat for towing skiers it may be a
bit underpowered. Hopefully you'll get some more feed back from the group.

Good luck.

Butch
"Charlie Brown" wrote in message
Someone is selling a 1972 Orlando Clipper for $1600. It is in good
condition with an 1986 trailer and Johnson 70 hp motor.

I'm trying to decide if this might be a diamond in the rough and worth
fixing up. I would paint the hull, cockpit, seats and update the
steering wheel.

Floor is solid, looks like it may have been redone somewhat recently?
Is having the interior gelcoated an option? What would something like
that cost?

Here's some photos of the boat:

http://home.sc.rr.com/linusb212/main/boat/

Charlie Brown

I'm not trying to make the boat more valuable per say, but am trying
to operate within a budget to have a lake-worthy boat. I have between
$4000 and $5000 dollars total budget. I would like to just buy a boat
priced in that range but if I do, it sounds like I could easily have
to spend a few thousand in repairs anyway.

My ultimate goal is to have a nice boat. Just trying to gauge how
long a bit of sweat equity will go in making this boat nice?

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:45:33 GMT, "Butch Davis"
wrote:

Charlie,

Only you can know the answer. I doubt it would be worth that to me, but if
the condition is exceptional, including motor and trailer following a
careful survey by an experienced boater and mechanic.... maybe.

If the condition is exceptional and the boat is suitable for the use you
plan it may be a worthy buy. I'd certainly try to buy it for far less than
$1600. If you decide to buy start at $600 and work up from there. Even if
the motor is in good shape it is doubtful you'll get much more life from it
and a replacement motor would cost you way more than the $1600 asking.

I'm not sure, but if you plan to use the boat for towing skiers it may be a
bit underpowered. Hopefully you'll get some more feed back from the group.

Good luck.

Butch
"Charlie Brown" wrote in message
.. .
Someone is selling a 1972 Orlando Clipper for $1600. It is in good
condition with an 1986 trailer and Johnson 70 hp motor.

I'm trying to decide if this might be a diamond in the rough and worth
fixing up. I would paint the hull, cockpit, seats and update the
steering wheel.

Floor is solid, looks like it may have been redone somewhat recently?
Is having the interior gelcoated an option? What would something like
that cost?

Here's some photos of the boat:

http://home.sc.rr.com/linusb212/main/boat/

Dan Krueger

Charlie Brown wrote:

I'm not trying to make the boat more valuable per say, but am trying
to operate within a budget to have a lake-worthy boat. I have between
$4000 and $5000 dollars total budget. I would like to just buy a boat
priced in that range but if I do, it sounds like I could easily have
to spend a few thousand in repairs anyway.

My ultimate goal is to have a nice boat. Just trying to gauge how
long a bit of sweat equity will go in making this boat nice?

It looks like someone applied new fiberglass over the floor behind the
windshield. That's a good sign that something was very wrong. You have
to wonder what the condition of the transom is.

The motor (in good shape) and the trailer are likely worth $1600, but
the boat needs some serious work. New carpet (forget gelcoating the
interior - too much money), new seats, steering, etc, etc, etc...

Once you spend a lot of money getting it back into shape you still have
a trihull with a motor that can puke out at any time. Sweat equity will
have little value in a case like this.

I would keep on looking. Spend your budgeted money on something newer
and in far less need of major repairs/remodeling. If you want to get on
the water with fewer headaches, consider a boat show special - Bayliner
or other in the $10K range. The warranties on the boat and motor alone
are worth the interest you will pay for the excess money.

If that isn't an option, http://boattraderonline.com is a good place to
watch. It's a buyers market right now due to the season and the gas prices.

Good luck!
Dan
Wayne.B

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 13:54:43 GMT, Charlie Brown
wrote:

Someone is selling a 1972 Orlando Clipper for $1600. It is in good
condition with an 1986 trailer and Johnson 70 hp motor.

Looks over priced to me for a boat and motor of that age, maybe half
that price if it runs OK, zero if not.

I don't know. It actually looks like it was worth what you paid for it.
two cycle engines seem to be losing their value a bit, because of their
fuel consumption. and finding raw fossile fuel to use in it is harder
to find as well. Gasohol or E-85 will lunch a two cycle out quickly
because the oil won't mix with them,....

Anyhow, that's no what you were asking, so....

I would say it would be worth a little bit more if yoyu did the work
you were stating but I don't think you'd be getting a good pay off if
you wanted to re-sell it.

I know this is a different class of craft than what I posted in
rec.boats.building, but it gave me a lot of in-sight on boat repair and
remodeling compared to economics. Upi might want to study it out ,
theres a lot of value in the posts.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...7b7cdef0d417aa

Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM