Doug Kanter

Default Gift yourself a printer

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
If you're shopping for an inexpensive laser printer for the family this
holiday season, take a look at the Brother 5170 series. I have had a 5170
DN model for about a year, and I've pushed a lot of paper through it
without a single jam. My model is a duplex (prints both sides of the paper
and has a network plug (thus, the DN), and retails these days for about
$300. Without duplex or network, the printer is at least $100 cheaper.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...sterid=2259027

It's a monochrome laser. I have a separate office printer that handles
color. But 99% of what I output is black type on white paper. This printer
does envelopes nicely, too.

When I was shopping for a new mono printer, I looked at HP and Lexmark and
a few others, but none seems to offer the features of this little Brother
printer at anywhere near the price. Cheap consumables, too.

Be on the lookout for print head failure. There was a class action suit
against Brother some years back because they tried to claim print head
failures were due to the use of cheap paper. That excuse didn't fly.

Jack Goff

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 18:10:09 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote
If you're shopping for an inexpensive laser printer for the family this
holiday season, take a look at the Brother 5170 series. I have had a 5170

Be on the lookout for print head failure. There was a class action suit
against Brother some years back because they tried to claim print head
failures were due to the use of cheap paper. That excuse didn't fly.

Harry was talking about a laser printer. Laser printers don't use
anything called a "print head", that would be an ink jet or a dot
matrix type printer.

The thing that could be a far distant cousin of a print head in a
laser would be a drum.