Ryan Cabanas

Default What are those wooden poles that stick up randomly out of the water by river shorelines?

I've seen these many times before and I have no idea what they are.

I live in Manhattan and I was walking along the Hudson and I saw these
wooden poles randomly sticking up out of the water. They were various
heights and they didn't seem to be doing anything. When I rode the
Staten Island Ferry over to Staten Island, when the ferry pulled up to
dock, I noticed a very large amount of these poles right by the docking
area, as well.

What are these poles for? Thanks.

Ryan Cabanas

Bill McKee

"Ryan Cabanas" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've seen these many times before and I have no idea what they are.

I live in Manhattan and I was walking along the Hudson and I saw these
wooden poles randomly sticking up out of the water. They were various
heights and they didn't seem to be doing anything. When I rode the
Staten Island Ferry over to Staten Island, when the ferry pulled up to
dock, I noticed a very large amount of these poles right by the docking
area, as well.

What are these poles for? Thanks.

Ryan Cabanas

Pegs to keep the bottom at the bottom.

otnmbrd

Pilings from old docks which have fallen down, burned down, rotted away,
etc........, and/or old dolphins that where once used to tie up to or as
fenders when approaching a berth.

otn

"Ryan Cabanas" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've seen these many times before and I have no idea what they are.

I live in Manhattan and I was walking along the Hudson and I saw these
wooden poles randomly sticking up out of the water. They were various
heights and they didn't seem to be doing anything. When I rode the
Staten Island Ferry over to Staten Island, when the ferry pulled up to
dock, I noticed a very large amount of these poles right by the docking
area, as well.

What are these poles for? Thanks.

Ryan Cabanas

Jim Carter

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Ryan Cabanas" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've seen these many times before and I have no idea what they are.

I live in Manhattan and I was walking along the Hudson and I saw these
wooden poles randomly sticking up out of the water. They were various
heights and they didn't seem to be doing anything. When I rode the
Staten Island Ferry over to Staten Island, when the ferry pulled up to
dock, I noticed a very large amount of these poles right by the docking
area, as well.

What are these poles for? Thanks.

Ryan Cabanas

Pegs to keep the bottom at the bottom.

Bill, that was an answer that is really dumb! I guess, that's all you
know.

Jim C.

Eisboch

Ryan Cabanas wrote in message
ups.com...
I've seen these many times before and I have no idea what they are.

I live in Manhattan and I was walking along the Hudson and I saw these
wooden poles randomly sticking up out of the water. They were various
heights and they didn't seem to be doing anything. When I rode the
Staten Island Ferry over to Staten Island, when the ferry pulled up to
dock, I noticed a very large amount of these poles right by the docking
area, as well.

What are these poles for? Thanks.

Ryan Cabanas

A guess, but they may be winter mooring markers. Here in MA, the mooring
float balls used during the summer are replaced in the winter with wooden
"sticks".

Eisboch

Bert Robbins

"Jim Carter" wrote in message

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Ryan Cabanas" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've seen these many times before and I have no idea what they are.

I live in Manhattan and I was walking along the Hudson and I saw these
wooden poles randomly sticking up out of the water. They were various
heights and they didn't seem to be doing anything. When I rode the
Staten Island Ferry over to Staten Island, when the ferry pulled up to
dock, I noticed a very large amount of these poles right by the docking
area, as well.

What are these poles for? Thanks.

Ryan Cabanas

Pegs to keep the bottom at the bottom.

Bill, that was an answer that is really dumb! I guess, that's all you
know.

Jim C. the humor challenged.

Jim Carter

"Bert Robbins" wrote in message
Jim C. the humor challenged.

Bert, do you really think that was funny? I thought it was a ridiculous
answer put there by someone with a feeble attempt at humor.

Jim C.

Jim Carter wrote:
"Bill McKee" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Ryan Cabanas" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've seen these many times before and I have no idea what they are.

I live in Manhattan and I was walking along the Hudson and I saw these
wooden poles randomly sticking up out of the water. They were various
heights and they didn't seem to be doing anything. When I rode the
Staten Island Ferry over to Staten Island, when the ferry pulled up to
dock, I noticed a very large amount of these poles right by the docking
area, as well.

What are these poles for? Thanks.

Ryan Cabanas

Pegs to keep the bottom at the bottom.

Bill, that was an answer that is really dumb! I guess, that's all you
know.

Poor Bill is NEVER right.....

Charley

If they are larger than about 6 inches then they are likely old pilings from
abandoned docks or other structures. If what you see are smaller in diameter
and out away from shore in rows, but spaced about 10 feet apart then they
are likely mooring poles for fishing nets. Both are very common in the
Hudson and a considerable hazard for pleasure craft.

--
Charley

"Ryan Cabanas" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've seen these many times before and I have no idea what they are.

I live in Manhattan and I was walking along the Hudson and I saw these
wooden poles randomly sticking up out of the water. They were various
heights and they didn't seem to be doing anything. When I rode the
Staten Island Ferry over to Staten Island, when the ferry pulled up to
dock, I noticed a very large amount of these poles right by the docking
area, as well.

What are these poles for? Thanks.

Ryan Cabanas

Mr. Smithers

JimC,
I thought it was cute, it definitely wasn't a gut buster or make me shot
milk out of my nose, but it was cute.

.. .