Bill McKee

Default Trailer That Has a Surge Brake Makes Noise When Start Towing?

wrote in message
ups.com...
What you said makes sense to me. Yes, I will start slowly next time
when the traffic light turns from red to green.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Jack Redington wrote:
wrote:

When I released the brake in the towing vehicle and started towing, I
often heard noise coming from behind me (likely coming from the
connection between the towing vehicle and the trailer). Is it a
standard behavior of a surge brake?

I am wondering the surge brake might have engaged when I stopped the
car, and it remained engaged. When I released the brake in the towing
vehicle and stepped on the gas panel, the surge brake could not respond
fast enough to release its brake. That caused the hitch ball of the
towing vehicle to impact on the coupler of the trailer, and this made
noise. Is my understanding correct? If this was the case, I should go
easy on the gas panel when I go from stop to start the vehicle.

Any idea?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

The surge brakes on my trailer do the same thing. The brakes work by
compressing the "slider" on the tongue that increases pressure to the
master cylinder on the trailer. It will remain engaged until the
pulling acting of the tow going foward releases the pressure on the
cylinder. Thus a "thunk" can be expected :-)

I try to start off a little slow.

Capt Jack R..

Also, adjust the brakes. If there is too much clearance, than you get more
travel on the master cylinder. They are not self adjusting brake shoes like
cars. Very good site for info and parts. Champion trailers in Slidell, LA
http://www.championtrailers.com/tech...e_maintainence