DSK

Default the 11th day of the 11th month

on the 11th hour of this day World War 1 ended in Europe. It was called
the Great War, the World War, the War To End Wars. A bit naive perhaps.
But it's worth remembering.

Something to remember from later wars:

The only destroyer to sink a battleship
http://tinyurl.com/7p58s

I think they should have a USS Melvin and a USS Barry K. Atkins on the
Navy list.

A bit of the background story
http://www.battleship.org/html/Artic...ory/Leyte0.htm

This is an interesting web site, a personal look
http://www.riverinesailor.com/Tango1.htm

More recent history
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/history/A0838511.html

the percentage of U.S. military personnel who witnessed someone being
killed or wounded: 36% in 2003
50% in 2004
47% so far this year.

We should thank our veterans and those currently in uniform every day.
Not to make too big a deal out of it, but our every day life has been
shaped by the freedoms that these men & women fought for. It is an
enormous duty, not undertaken lightly, and we should not dismiss it
carelessly... and I personally don't think we should remember & honor
them only once a year. But today is a good day to do so.

Regards to all
Doug King

DSK wrote:
[...]

Indeed. Happy Armistice Day. Happy Veteran's Day.

My maternal Grandfather served in WWI. He was a Lt. on Destroyer
Escorts in the British Navy. I have his personal log or journal he kept
during his naval service. His entry for this day was very simple: In a
large hand, he wrote across almost the entire page, "Thank God! It's
Over! Peace at Last"......and then below noted the orders to cease fire
at a certain time.

I thought it was interesting that when the order went out to cease
fire, it wasn't to cease fire "immediately", but rather later on in the
day. I guess the idea was to allow enough time for the order to be
communicated to most of the units on both sides of the contest.

John H.

On 11 Nov 2005 05:07:00 -0800, wrote:

DSK wrote:
[...]

Thank you!

--
John H.

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
Jim,

wrote:
DSK wrote:

[...]

Another site with some battlefield pictures of the time

http://www.greatwar.nl/

And songs comment on the situation One especially moving

original version
Jim,

Jim, wrote:
wrote:

[...]