BoatBanter.com

-   -   Cleaning Fiberglass (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/62435-cleaning-fiberglass.html)

[email protected] November 5th 05 10:11 PM

Cleaning Fiberglass

I have a 1973 C&C. I am trying to bring up the seats in the cockpit.
Is there something I can use that is a deep cleaning agent?

Thanks,
Cate

jps November 5th 05 11:07 PM

Cleaning Fiberglass

In article .com,
says...
I have a 1973 C&C. I am trying to bring up the seats in the cockpit.
Is there something I can use that is a deep cleaning agent?

Thanks,
Cate

More info would help.

Smooth or textured fiberglass?

Are they chalky?

jps

[email protected] November 6th 05 12:22 AM

Cleaning Fiberglass

they are smooth..not chalky...

[email protected] November 6th 05 03:00 AM

Cleaning Fiberglass

Bleach solution and a soft brush should do it.

[email protected] November 6th 05 03:28 AM

Cleaning Fiberglass

Space Pope wrote:
On 5 Nov 2005 16:22:43 -0800, wrote:

they are smooth..not chalky...

The Space Pope says use an acid wash available at any marina supply
outlet, then compound and wax.

Unless exceptionally stained, forget the acid. If you do need to use
acid, use oaxalic acid
(primary ingredient in the mega-expensive FSR- fiberglass stain remover
gel).

Buy a can of Sea Power cleaner wax. It's handy to keep aboard for
cleaning up little areas when underway and when you can't use a
traditional bucket and hose approach.

Don Dando November 6th 05 12:11 PM

Cleaning Fiberglass

A product called TSP from your local hardware store.

Don Dando

oups.com...

John H. November 6th 05 12:38 PM

Cleaning Fiberglass

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 03:53:44 GMT, Space Pope wrote:

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 03:25:22 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 03:16:51 GMT, Space Pope wrote:

Unless of course one is talking about fabric in which case, 409, a
soft brush and elbow grease will work just fine.

Your position on this matter begs a significant question!

My wife swears that 409 is the best cleaner obtainable. My son just
swiped a bottle of his Mom's 409 and went to war with the vinyl on his
1995 Chevy pickup.... he was blown away with the ability of the
detergent to clean even the most difficult to reach areas of his vinyl
trim....

So..... what's the big deal? Oddly enough.... the cleanser is not
available. We have to buy from the supplier in case quantities!

Anybody else have anything to add to make sense of this?

The Space Pope buys it at Wal-Mart.

OMG!!!
--
John H

"It's *not* a baby kicking, bride of mine, it's just a fetus!"

Hypocrital Liberal

Dr. Dr. Smithers November 6th 05 01:23 PM

Cleaning Fiberglass

Gene,
Visit Home Depot.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 03:16:51 GMT, Space Pope wrote:

Unless of course one is talking about fabric in which case, 409, a
soft brush and elbow grease will work just fine.

Your position on this matter begs a significant question!

My wife swears that 409 is the best cleaner obtainable. My son just
swiped a bottle of his Mom's 409 and went to war with the vinyl on his
1995 Chevy pickup.... he was blown away with the ability of the
detergent to clean even the most difficult to reach areas of his vinyl
trim....

So..... what's the big deal? Oddly enough.... the cleanser is not
available. We have to buy from the supplier in case quantities!

Anybody else have anything to add to make sense of this?

--

_ ___c
\ _| \_
__\_| oooo \_____
~~~~|______________/ ~~~~~
~~~ ~~~~~~
~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
~~~~ }((((o ~~~~~~ }{{{{o ~~~~~~~

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/
Homepage*
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Dr. Dr. Smithers November 6th 05 01:30 PM

Cleaning Fiberglass

Bleach will cause premature cracking in the vinyl.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Bleach solution and a soft brush should do it.