imagineero

Default my outboard is as noisy as f***

how do i quieten it?
I have a 5hp 2 stroke evinrude outboard that i use to push my 14'
catamaran along when conditions are too dead or too hairy to sail it.
its reliable, doesnt smoke, starts on the second pull every time, uses
little gas and seems to take sal****er in its stride, but its as noisy
as anything, and i say this a a bike rider with almost open exhausts.
Noone could love such a sound. how can i quiet it, even at the expense
of a horsepower?

Shaun

*JimH*

"imagineero" wrote in message
ups.com...
how do i quieten it?
I have a 5hp 2 stroke evinrude outboard that i use to push my 14'
catamaran along when conditions are too dead or too hairy to sail it.
its reliable, doesnt smoke, starts on the second pull every time, uses
little gas and seems to take sal****er in its stride, but its as noisy
as anything, and i say this a a bike rider with almost open exhausts.
Noone could love such a sound. how can i quiet it, even at the expense
of a horsepower?

Shaun

Buy a four stroke. ;-)

trainfan1

imagineero wrote:
how do i quieten it?
I have a 5hp 2 stroke evinrude outboard that i use to push my 14'
catamaran along when conditions are too dead or too hairy to sail it.
its reliable, doesnt smoke, starts on the second pull every time, uses
little gas and seems to take sal****er in its stride, but its as noisy
as anything, and i say this a a bike rider with almost open exhausts.
Noone could love such a sound. how can i quiet it, even at the expense
of a horsepower?

Shaun

Is the cowl seated properly?

Is the engine set on the transom or bracket at the proper height to keep
the exhaust under water?

Rob
Jim,

imagineero wrote:
how do i quieten it?
I have a 5hp 2 stroke evinrude outboard that i use to push my 14'
catamaran along when conditions are too dead or too hairy to sail it.
its reliable, doesnt smoke, starts on the second pull every time, uses
little gas and seems to take sal****er in its stride, but its as noisy
as anything, and i say this a a bike rider with almost open exhausts.
Noone could love such a sound. how can i quiet it, even at the expense
of a horsepower?

Shaun

Well most F***s I have experienced have been relatively quiet. An
occasional moan, or once in a while a shout, but generally rather quiet.

I have to ask "What's the problem?"
Ian Malcolm

imagineero wrote:
how do i quieten it?
I have a 5hp 2 stroke evinrude outboard that i use to push my 14'
catamaran along when conditions are too dead or too hairy to sail it.
its reliable, doesnt smoke, starts on the second pull every time, uses
little gas and seems to take sal****er in its stride, but its as noisy
as anything, and i say this a a bike rider with almost open exhausts.
Noone could love such a sound. how can i quiet it, even at the expense
of a horsepower?

Shaun

Be glad you dont have a British Seagull. They are even louder, smoke
enough to give you your own private fog bank and drink petrol like they
have a pipeline from the refinary. Also salt water proof. Try
throttling back a bit.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.