Lloyd Sumpter

Default Cost-benefit ratio of AA rechargeables?

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:32:21 -0400, Harry Krause wrote:

Just wondering.

My little camera speedlight uses four AA batteries and gives me about
160 or so flashes before they need to be replaced. They're not
expensive, but I don't always have a fresh set available, and I don't
always remember to stop and buy some before I go out with my camera.

So, I've been thinking about getting four rechargeable NiMH batteries
for about $2.50 each, and a charger. Sony and others offer a
charger-battery combo for about $30.

I'm wondering how long these NiMH batteries "hold" their charge if they
are freshly charged? If it is several weeks between camera use, would I
be wanting to recharge them prior to taking the camera out to use?

We changed from NiCad to rechargeable alkaline (like Pure Energy). They
don't do nearly as many "cycles", but they're cheap, the charger is cheap,
and they're 1.5V rather than 1.25V, so they work in anything a regular
alkaline does. And I think they hold a charge about as long as a
disposable alkaline.

Lloyd