Roger Houston

Default DaggerAnimas

I persuaded my friend to buy a used Dagger Animas as a first boat. I had
read reviews that it was a great first boat. The guy at the counter of the
store whose owner put it in stock for sale said that it was not for
whitewater, and not for sea kayaking, but great for everything in between.

We took it out today where a river feeds into a lake, still a bit of
current, and some wind. The boat just spins on its center of rotation and
is very difficult to control as to direction of travel. She'd be paddling
(an experienced canoeist new to kayaks), and it would yaw right and left,
and when she finally got going it would suddenly switch ends, doing an
uncommanded 180 degree turn. It caused her no end of frustration, and in
the end, I had to tow her back to where we put in. The boat at the end of a
toe line was as undisciplined as had been the case when paddled freely,
yawing and yanking at the tow line.

I must say I am disappointed, and the beginner is discouraged. I've got to
find her another used boat.

For what purpose is the Animas actually designed. Or was it designed at
all, vs being put together to look cool?

John

"Roger Houston" wrote in message
I persuaded my friend to buy a used Dagger Animas as a first boat. I had
read reviews that it was a great first boat.

With friends like you, who needs Animas ...

Roger Houston

"John" wrote in message

"Roger Houston" wrote in message
I persuaded my friend to buy a used Dagger Animas as a first boat. I had
read reviews that it was a great first boat.

With friends like you, who needs Animas ...

Or for that matter enemas. But what about the boat? Why does it do that?

Michael Daly

On 6-Oct-2005, "Roger Houston" wrote:

The guy at the counter of the
store whose owner put it in stock for sale said that it was not for
whitewater, and not for sea kayaking, but great for everything in between.

Don't listen to that guy again. The Animas is a WW kayak. It may not
be the latest and greatest playboat, but it was a popular kayak at one
time.

The boat just spins on its center of rotation and
is very difficult to control as to direction of travel.

That sounds about right for a WW kayak. They are designed to handle in
rough water and will change directions fast. The price you pay is that
you have to learn how to control it. Every WW kayak will spin out of
control when paddled on fla****er unless you learn to correct the
motion with pretty much every other stroke. Tell your friend that she
will have to spend a lot of time in the kayak to get used to it.
If you switch it for a kayak that will track well, that will be a
kayak that is difficult to use in WW.

If she didn't want to do WW, then definitely get a different kayak.
WW kayaks are for WW.

Mike
Roger Houston

"Michael Daly" wrote in message

On 6-Oct-2005, "Roger Houston" wrote:

The guy at the counter of the
store whose owner put it in stock for sale said that it was not for
whitewater, and not for sea kayaking, but great for everything in
between.

Don't listen to that guy again.

Sound advice. The store has since gone out of business. Wonder why?

The Animas is a WW kayak. It may not
be the latest and greatest playboat, but it was a popular kayak at one
time.

I wish I'd sought the expertise of paddlers rather than the patter of the
salesman or even the vague statements of Dagger's own page at
http://dagger.com/product.asp?BoatTy...C&BoatID= 257
which says

"Stable, all-around river runner . comfortable cockpit for larger paddlers .
long waterline for speed and tracking . for those who prefer a longer, more
predictable kayak . choice beginner kayak or big water boat for anyone"

"Long waterline for ... tracking" "more predictable kayak" would seem to
imply a broader spectrum of usability than is actually the case.

Michael Daly

On 7-Oct-2005, "Roger Houston" wrote:

"Stable, all-around river runner . comfortable cockpit for larger paddlers .
long waterline for speed and tracking . for those who prefer a longer, more
predictable kayak . choice beginner kayak or big water boat for anyone"

"Long waterline for ... tracking" "more predictable kayak" would seem to
imply a broader spectrum of usability than is actually the case.

There's nothing wrong with that statement as it applies to a whitewater kayak.
Your expectations are what's wrong. You have to do more homework before
jumping to the conclusion that this kayak is suitable for a beginner that
isn't prepared to learn how to handle a WW kayak. You didn't address the
issue that was commented on by a couple of us - is she looking for a WW
kayak or not?

Mike

Suds \(Popeye's friend\)

"Michael Daly" wrote in message

"Stable, all-around river runner . comfortable cockpit for larger
paddlers .
long waterline for speed and tracking . for those who prefer a longer,
more
predictable kayak . choice beginner kayak or big water boat for anyone"

"Long waterline for ... tracking" "more predictable kayak" would seem to
imply a broader spectrum of usability than is actually the case.

There's nothing wrong with that statement as it applies to a whitewater
kayak.
Your expectations are what's wrong. ...

You voted Republican, didn't you. LOL

Roger Houston

"Suds (Popeye's friend)" wrote in message

There's nothing wrong with that statement as it applies to a whitewater
kayak.
Your expectations are what's wrong. ...

You voted Republican, didn't you. LOL

Now, if someone would only be kind enough to work Hitler in here somewheres,
we'll just invoke Godwin's law and kill this goddamned thread as dead as the
horsey puddle back there aways.....