Skipper

Default Monster

Many years ago while skin diving off Guaymas in the Sea of Cortez I had
a most unusual experience. Had recently purchased a Mark VII power
spear gun and was taking it out for the first time. While traversing
down a long narrow channel in the reef, I suddenly noticed that the
channel was leading to a dead-end. As I approached this ‘dead-end’, I
noticed that the ‘reef’ had a mottled brown and yellowish tint
and...and...and *SCALES*. This could not be! Fish are just not that
*big*... not as big as a reef. I resurveyed the situation. No head,
and no tail. Just a wall of fish scales over 4’ tall from bottom to
top
of water. Puzzled, I looked above water and found the resting dorsal
fin of a huge jewfish touching distance away.

There I was, touching distance from this monster and hoping he wouldn’t
detect my presence. Looking down at my brand new spear gun, I noticed
that the spear cord was *tied* to the gun. What to do? I backed off
and raised the gun, but couldn’t bring myself to fire. Visions of the
recent purchase gone forever with this monster danced though my head.
Found you *could* sweat underwater.

I backed off further and quickly returned to the boat. Finding an
inner
tube, I secured the spear cord to this ‘floatation’ while seeking the
help of others in our group. Upon return to the narrow channel, I
noticed that the channels end was now open. We searched, but the
monster was gone.

Don’t know if these huge monsters are still found in the Sea of Cortez,
but the search still drives me to return to these waters.
--
Skipper
Don White

Skipper wrote:
[...]

Well, that does sound a bit like our old armchair explorer. Cuddles up
with a good book, and a few hours later, he's convinced that he actually
lived the adventures on the pages.
Cheap way to get around...I guess.
Pseudo Skipper...you've done your homework well!
Don White

Harry Krause wrote:
Skipper wrote:

Many years ago while skin diving off Guaymas in the Sea of Cortez I
had a most unusual experience.

The picture tube went out, and you missed the rest of the Sea Hunt reruns?

His wife woke him up to administer more medications.