BoatBanter.com

-   -   Were trailers full of hot air? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/6-re-were-trailers-full-hot-air.html)

Harry Krause June 30th 03 10:27 AM

Were trailers full of hot air?

William Graham wrote:

Harry Krause wrote in message
William Graham wrote:

Gregory Shearman wrote in message
Saddam made a habit of billiting his troops in hospitals and schools

and
orphanages, so who do you think is responsible for the death of

innocents
during the two gulf wars?

Where did you get your information about where saddam "billets"
his troops?

It was on the news daily during the first gulf war.
Also, Our, "smart bombs" could be directed to take out individual
buildings.....When not tipped with explosive warheads, we could just

destroy
one house out of a string, without any damage to the other houses on the
block. We did not direct our bombs to harm innocent civilians....I know
this, because I know troops who were there. If we had to destroy any

schools
and/or hospitals, it was because Saddam had troops or ammunition stored
there.

Who are you, the summer replacement for Simple Simon?

And obviously, you took first place in the Harvard debating team
competetion.......

Hey...I'm smart enough to know dumbfoch, mindless right-wing trash when
I see it, and you be it.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Dave Hall July 9th 03 07:06 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message

I *do* believe that SH had more than ample warning about an

impending US
attack, and it certainly wasn't coming from Bush's left wing

detractors.

Again, you're probably right, but you have to also consider that all

the
time we wasted, waltzing with the U.N., and Hans Blix, and the rest of
the floor show, gave Saddam even more time to move his "stuff".

Right. We waltzed. Keep in mind that our own secretary of state

recommended
waltzing for a couple of months. He could not have done this without

your
president's permission.

If you will recall, it was at that point when Colin Powell, seemed to be
at odds with the rest of the administration. Most of the others were in
favor of war at that point. Powell, had been the lone holdout for
additional diplomatic efforts. While he may have earned a few brownie
points, it will be a matter of history, whether his delay may have cost
us, in credibility, with those who must find that elusive "smoking gun".

Dave

So, was Colin Powell thinking for himself (which is why I'd vote for him if
I could), or was he influenced by the horrible liberals that everyone keeps
whining about here?

Be sure to document your response, since I assume you don't have Mr. Powell
over to the house for dinner very often.

You've got me all wrong on that one. I admire Powell, and would love to
see him run for president. But the events, as I stated them, are pretty
much true. I don't know if Powell walked a little bowlegged afterward or
not, but he seems to be back in the fold.

Dave

Dave Hall July 9th 03 07:08 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

thunder wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:43:35 +0000, Dave Hall wrote:

To which I respond; Yea so? So one lead for a source of uranium
turns out to be bogus. Does that mean that Saddam wasn't getting
uranium from other sources? Does this one "oops" negate the
fundamental reasons why we had to shut Hussein down? Humans make
mistakes. Bush may have been a little overzealous, due to the
urgency for action. If you knew what he knew, you might be tempted
to grease the wheels a little too.

Slowly, you are seeing the light. Presidents are allowed to make
some mistakes, but overzealousness in going to war is not one of
them. A prudent, competent, President would make sure. I'd also
like to point out that if the underlying reasons weren't there,
there is *no* urgency.

*ONE* of the reasons was evidently not there. But all of the rest of
them still were. There was still the issue of chemical and biological
weapons (Yea I know, until you see them you won't believe it), the
brutality of Saddam, and the stability of the middle east, and the
elimination of havens for terrorists.

Dave

Doug Kanter July 9th 03 07:44 PM

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
thunder wrote:

[...]

Brutality of Saddam: We are hypocrites in that regard. There are equally
brutal regimes in Africa, and your president lets the citizens of those
countries dangle in the wind.

Stability of the Middle East: Get real. You do not believe for a moment that
we contribute to stability. As early as a year ago, numerous Middle Eastern
writers were saying that to attack Saddam would strike a blow AGAINST
stability. You should stop by this link regularly, and read:
http://www.dailystar.com.lb/Default.asp

Havens: Show me.

thunder July 9th 03 08:31 PM

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:08:52 +0000, Dave Hall wrote:

*ONE* of the reasons was evidently not there. But all of the rest
of
them still were. There was still the issue of chemical and
biological weapons (Yea I know, until you see them you won't believe
it), the brutality of Saddam, and the stability of the middle east,
and the elimination of havens for terrorists.

The brutality of Saddam was a given. No one will miss him.
Mid-east stability is still a wait and see. As an aside, the
mid-east might of already been a stable place, if we had kept our
CIA's hands out of it. You are aware that one of the CIA's many
mid-east coups was indirectly responsible for Saddam in the first
place. Do a search on CIA Kassim Saddam. You might find it
interesting.

Dave Hall July 11th 03 11:58 AM

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
thunder wrote:

[...]

We're sending troops to Africa right now. You can only fight so many
battles without risking the dangerous thinning of your military power.

Stability of the Middle East: Get real. You do not believe for a moment that
we contribute to stability.

That depends. Initially, we are just another disruption. But in the long
term, if we are successful at creating a democracy in the middle of all
those fundamentalist regimes, we can build a foundation to drive other
country's to following that model. Once people get a taste of true
freedom, how can they be expected to live under the harsh rule of a
totalitarian fundamentalist government? And thus the seeds are planted.

As early as a year ago, numerous Middle Eastern
writers were saying that to attack Saddam would strike a blow AGAINST
stability.

They're entitled to their opinions, as we are to ours. But they're no
more credible. The point is that we at least DID something, to make a
change. Sitting around doing nothing, only allows the cancer to
grow.....

You should stop by this link regularly, and read:
http://www.dailystar.com.lb/Default.asp

Havens: Show me.

Do you not read the news? They uncovered a "major" terrorist training
camp in the northern section of Iraq, sometime during the middle of the
"war".

Dave

Dave Hall July 11th 03 12:06 PM

thunder wrote:

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:08:52 +0000, Dave Hall wrote:

*ONE* of the reasons was evidently not there. But all of the rest
of
them still were. There was still the issue of chemical and
biological weapons (Yea I know, until you see them you won't believe
it), the brutality of Saddam, and the stability of the middle east,
and the elimination of havens for terrorists.

The brutality of Saddam was a given. No one will miss him.
Mid-east stability is still a wait and see. As an aside, the
mid-east might of already been a stable place, if we had kept our
CIA's hands out of it. You are aware that one of the CIA's many
mid-east coups was indirectly responsible for Saddam in the first
place.

You are correct. This country does have a very poor record, for
interfering in the affairs of other nations, if we feel it's to our best
interest. In the case of Iraq and Saddam, they were our friends,
because we shared a common enemy, Iran, at the time. Where we go wrong,
is that we fail to consider the constantly changing political atmosphere
in this region of the world. What might be today's friend, could turn
out to be tomorrow's enemy. This practice transcends partisan politics.
We tend to judge by our own set of morals and principles, which may be
different then that of the people in those other countries. We have a
weakness for wanting other countries to be more like us, as we have more
rights and freedoms as most other nations.
Then we face a catch 22 situation. If we keep our heads out of world
politics, we get accused of being "isolationists". If we do become
involved, we get accused of trying to police the world. It seems that no
matter what we do, we can't seem to please everyone....

Dave

Doug Kanter July 11th 03 03:27 PM

"Dave Hall" wrote in message

Brutality of Saddam: We are hypocrites in that regard. There are equally
brutal regimes in Africa, and your president lets the citizens of those
countries dangle in the wind.

We're sending troops to Africa right now. You can only fight so many
battles without risking the dangerous thinning of your military power.

We are??? That's interesting. Today's news says: PRETORIA, South Africa
(CNN) -- President Bush will decide in the next few days whether to send
U.S. troops to Liberia to enforce a cease-fire, according to U.S. Secretary
of State Colin Powell.

As early as a year ago, numerous Middle Eastern
writers were saying that to attack Saddam would strike a blow AGAINST
stability.

They're entitled to their opinions, as we are to ours. But they're no
more credible.

Right. What do they know? They're just Arabs who happen to live in the
region. Imagine what your response would be if some Arab editor in a Cairo
newspaper wrote a column about crime in Philadelphia, never having visited
the city.

Doug Kanter July 14th 03 05:19 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

"Gould 0738" wrote in message

Even those "millions" have access to health care. What they don't

have
is
health care insurance and many of them CHOOSE not to.

There's a difference between access to health care and (practical) access

health care insurance, particularly for poor or middle income people.

Fact is, the majority of poor people work at
low wage jobs. They are on the battle lines of American commerce, actually
delivering the services or building the widgets at $10 an hour, or often

less.
These jobs rarely include health insurance any more. When you're paying
$1000-1200 a month for a worker's wages, adding 30, 40, 50 percent
to that total to fund health insurance doesn't make economic sense.

Gould, we already know most of the prerecorded responses which will be
forthcoming from Dave, NOYB, etc. For instance, "Well...then 'they' can
better themselves and get higher paying jobs if they don't like the ones
they already have. I picked myself up by my bootstraps!"

Great idea. What if all of "them" get better jobs? Do you suppose NOYB would
mind checking into a hotel with his own toilet cleaning tools?

NOYB July 14th 03 06:05 PM

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Gould 0738" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, I blame the insurance companies for making the insurance
unaffordable. Of course, thanks to the McCarron-Ferguson Act, they operate
under different rules than the rest of us...making them exempt from many
anti-trust laws.

The Bush Administration is tackling this issue from the right direction.
First, he's squeezing the trial lawyer's profits by pushing punitive damage
caps. Secondly, he's squeezing the insurance companies by pushing
Association Health Plans (AHP's), that allow organized "groups" to purchase
competitive group plans ACROSS STATE LINES. (No longer will the insurance
companies be able to "cherry pick" the most lucrative states to operate in).
Finally, he's lowering the cost of administering the health care. How? By
insuring more people are insured, hospitals and doctors won't be writing off
the non-insured patient expenses against the patients that actually pay
their bill.

I'd love to see Congress repeal the McCarron-Ferguson Act.

NOYB July 14th 03 06:06 PM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Great idea. What if all of "them" get better jobs? Do you suppose NOYB

would
mind checking into a hotel with his own toilet cleaning tools?

You have any idea how long it takes to clean a whole toilet with a cotton

swab
on the end of a stick?

Ahhhhh...so you've pledged a fraternity, eh?

Gould 0738 July 14th 03 07:00 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

You have any idea how long it takes to clean a whole toilet with a cotton
swab
on the end of a stick?

Ahhhhh...so you've pledged a fraternity, eh?

Naw, but I've been to the dentist. The swab on the stick isn't as bad is
scraping the dried on "plague" off the bowl with stainless pick. :-)

noah July 15th 03 03:59 AM

Were trailers full of hot air?

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:50:21 -0700, ralph
wrote:

z wrote:

"NOYB" wrote in message om...
and the poor ignorant wogs are too ignorant to figure this out

by
themselves, so we must protect them from voting them back in by
accident.

With logic like yours, the Nazi party would not have been outlawed in
Germany after WWII.

Instead, the Nazis were brought to the US to help set up the CIA and
other government programs.

BTW, many of the officials we have installed in Iraq are former
Ba'athists.

Absolute horsepoop. The Bush administration made it clear that former
members of the Baath party would hold no positions in the new government.

Made it clear as horsepoop, and continue to clarify it today.

Baath officials backed to rebuild Iraq
BBC News Sunday, 13 April, 2003, 14:25 GMT 15:25 UK
Baath Party members who were loyal to Saddam Hussein will take part in
the reconstruction of Iraq, according to Geoff Hoon.
"They had a system of administration that will deliver," the defence
secretary told The Observer.
And many were "perfectly decent people who have not participated in
any atrocities".
There has already been anger in the southern city of Basra after the
man chosen by the British forces there to run the city was revealed to
be a Baath Party member.
Mr Hoon told the newspaper: "It is understandable people that have
lived in dread and terror of this organisation should go and kick in a
few doors."
But he added: "We have to ensure it does not get out of hand."

Iraq's Baath Party Is Abolished
Franks Declares End of Hussein's Apparatus as Some Members Retake
Posts
(May 12, 2003)
By Peter Slevin and Rajiv Chandrasekaran
Washington Post Foreign Service
Monday, May 12, 2003; Page A10
BAGHDAD, May 11 -- Gen. Tommy R. Franks, the commander of U.S. forces
in Iraq, announced today that Saddam Hussein's Baath Party, which
dominated the country for more than three decades through violence and
intimidation, has been abolished, although U.S. authorities have
allowed many prominent members to return to top government positions.
The effect of Franks's declaration remained unclear, but it seemed
largely symbolic, given the party's organizational implosion and the
somewhat contradictory U.S. request that many former high-ranking
government officials, most of whom were Baath members, report to their
jobs as usual.
U.S. authorities have made "de-Baathification" a goal of the
occupation period, but have not laid out consistent rules for
accomplishing it.

U.S. vows to remove Baath officials in Iraq
Thursday, May 15, 2003 Posted: 12:49 PM EDT (1649 GMT)
• Any former Baath Party personnel will be "aggressively removed from
office" in all parts of Iraq's postwar administration.
BAGHDAD (CNN) -- Iraq's U.S. administrators will "aggressively move"
to identify and remove former officials of Saddam Hussein's Baath
Party from office and are working to restore security in Baghdad, the
civilian authority's new chief said Thursday.
"Shortly, I will issue an order on measures to extirpate Baathists and
Baathism from Iraq forever," L. Paul Bremer told reporters in Baghdad.
"We have and will aggressively move to seek to identify these people
and remove them from office."
But Bremer, who assumed office Monday, said that such action would be
difficult while U.S. officials are trying to restore services such as
power, water and health care.
"In some cases, we have found, people who have offered to work with us
have turned out to be members of the Baath Party," he said. "Those
people have been put out of office when we found that out."

Officials: Ban on Baathists delays Iraqi government
Monday, May 19, 2003 Posted: 1653 GMT (12:53 AM HKT)
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The decision to ban senior Baath Party members
from holding jobs in a future Iraqi government will delay the handover
of control to Iraqis, senior officials with the Pentagon's Office of
Reconstruction and Humanitarian Assistance said.
U.S. civil administrator L. Paul Bremer has ordered a large-scale
operation to ensure that Baath Party members are removed from critical
positions in the public sector. This ban could affect as many as
30,000 senior Baath Party members.
The delay was revealed Friday as Bremer and John Sawers, British envoy
to Iraq, met with opposition leaders.
Retired U.S. Army Lt. Gen. Jay Garner initially had allowed some
former Baath officials to hold positions, including interim health
minister and Baghdad University president, but the decision resulted
in protests among Iraqis. Bremer replaced Garner this week.

ANALYSIS
By Gen. Wayne Downing
MSNBC CONTRIBUTOR
KUWAIT CITY, Kuwait, April 4 —
In order to establish the new Iraq that President Bush speaks of,
the grip established by Saddam's security apparatus must be broken.
This task will be difficult and, to my knowledge, the coalition plan
on how it will go about doing this is rudimentary at best. In fact,
compared with their knowledge of the Iraqi military, the U.S. and
British intelligence agencies know comparatively little about the the
extent of this Baathist web and potentially acceptable Baath Party
members.
Retired Army Lt. Gen. Jay Garner, the head of the Office of
Reconstruction and Humanitarian Affairs, is to be the senior U.S.
official in postwar Iraq. His office is not equipped to tackle the job
of neutralizing the Baathist security web.
The inability of the United States to get a consensus and a
working coalition of in-country and expatriate Iraqis on what will
happen after the war will bedevil Washington and U.S. military forces.
Reports from Washington do not sound encouraging, with factions
centered in the Pentagon, State Department and the CIA continuing to
advocate their own contradictory solutions.
Not only are they failing to cooperate with each other, these
key agencies appear to be actively working against each other,
promoting their favored candidates and undermining those they oppose.
The failure to develop a coherent Baath vetting process (akin
to the de-Nazification program that turned West Germany into a
functioning democracy after World War II) could prove a major problem.
"Regime change" was a major stated goal of this war, and many now
suspect there is no plan beyond the immediate goal of toppling
Saddam's regime, an eventuality that appears closer every day.
What will replace it? Unfortunately, there exists no clear
answer, even at this late date. How will U.S. administrators determine
which Iraqi civil servants may continue to serve and which are too
tainted to stay? This is key to the Pentagon's reconstruction and
humanitarian assistance plan and the timely departure of U.S. forces.
Gen. Wayne Downing, U.S. Army (ret.), is an NBC News military
analyst and former head of U.S. Special Operations Command.

kinda get the feeling they're winging it?

"winging" would appear to be a kind word. Does anyone outside the
gov't have any idea what plan or policy we are persuing? Does anyone
*inside* the gov't have any idea?

Sadly, it seems to be a mish-mash, and US soldiers are dying daily.

Anybody got a plan?
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats

NOYB July 15th 03 06:26 AM

Were trailers full of hot air?

We know they're out there, but we don't agree with the Dems that government
issued health care is the answer for them. For too long, insurance
companies have operated under different rules than most businesses. Go to
any of the cities that headquarter several of the large insurance companies.
The biggest, most lavish buildings are either banks or...you guessed
it...insurance companies.

Because of special protection they were granted under the McCarron-Ferguson
Act, insurance companies aren't subject to the same Federal anti-trust
regulations that all other companies operate under...rather, they are
governed by state laws. Consequently, they pick and choose the states they
want to operate in so as to maximize their profits. When one state passes
laws that might squeeze their profits, they pull out...or skyrocket the
premiums.

One answer is Association Health Plans (AHP's) that allow a group to buy
across state lines. Also, the Federal government ought to consider
repealing, or reforming the McCarron-Ferguson Act, and taking some of the
regulation back under Federal control. This is the one exception in which I
feel control by the Federal government rather than state governments is the
answer.

ralph wrote:

Hooda Gest wrote:

Even those "millions" have access to health care. What they don't

have
is
health care insurance and many of them CHOOSE not to.

Oh? Many? Is that an unsubstantiated "many?"

Let's see...how many of those many are in the "I can pay for a

health
insurance premium...or...I can pay the rent..."

Some choice.

It's seldom a choice between rent and insurance. More like insurance

and
nintendo/new car/big screen tv/$150 Nikes.

I have none of those, still can't afford insurance. Quite luckily, my
wife has insurance.

Tell me how someone working minimum wage is supposed to afford
insurance? Especially if their company doesn't offer it?

if you need it and your employer doesn't offer it you can't buy it. HMOs
aren't crazy.

I work with people almost every week who are marginally employed and who
have neither health insurance nor access to reasonable health care, if
they have access to any at all, especially dental health care and mental
health care, for themselves and their children.

Conservatives like to pretend such people don't exist, but they are out
there, by the millions. My wife spends almost half her time treating
people without means or insurance, more of her time trying to find
specialists who will help the indigent and even more time trying to
arrange "hardship" meds for patients who simply have no ability to pay
for medications and who have fallen through the rapidly disappearing
holes in what used to be a safety net.

There are millions and millions of residents of this country without
insurance or access to health care. They're out there...among all of
us...despite the crap spewed by those Conservatives who don't give a
damn about society or its ills.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Doug Kanter July 15th 03 03:17 PM

"noah" wrote in message

kinda get the feeling they're winging it?

"winging" would appear to be a kind word. Does anyone outside the
gov't have any idea what plan or policy we are persuing? Does anyone
*inside* the gov't have any idea?

Sadly, it seems to be a mish-mash, and US soldiers are dying daily.

Anybody got a plan?
noah

Someone does, but unfortunately, he's only the secretary of state.

Gould 0738 July 15th 03 04:20 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

Hooda Guest wrote:

You are incredibly ignorant. You know nothing about this country if you
think that health care is being denied to anyone.

Hooda's right. When you kid is running a 103-degree fever and no doctor will
see you because you can't pay $150 cash for the call and don't have health
insurance, you do what the parental instinct dictates and get some help for the
kid where you can. That turns out to be the hospital emergency room most of the
time, as the desperate know that most hospitals won't turn you away.

Now the feverish kid costs $675 to examine and medicate, rather than $150.
Who picks up the $675? It gets passed along to everybody with the means to pay
for their own health care or with health insurance in the form of increased
fees from the hospital for all "paying" patients.

We're already paying for universal health care in the US. I think the only
remaining question is whether we are doing so in the most efficient manner.

Dave Hall July 15th 03 05:01 PM

Gould 0738 wrote:

Even those "millions" have access to health care. What they don't have
is
health care insurance and many of them CHOOSE not to.

There's a difference between access to health care and (practical) access to
health care insurance, particularly for poor or middle income people.

Fact is, the majority of poor people work at
low wage jobs. They are on the battle lines of American commerce, actually
delivering the services or building the widgets at $10 an hour, or often less.
These jobs rarely include health insurance any more. When you're paying
$1000-1200 a month for a worker's wages, adding 30, 40, 50 percent
to that total to fund health insurance doesn't make economic sense.

Even middle income jobs have tightened up on health insurance benefits. At my
wife's bank, they pay the premiums for the
employee only and the employee must pay the premiums for the family members.
(Not entirely unfair, why should party "A" with six kids be compensated more
highly than single person "B" for doing the same job? If the bank had to pay
for everybody, people with lots of kids would be less employable and have
trouble finding work).

A great observation.

And its not just corporate greed, it's the "global economy".

So, why don't poor folks just park the "$150 sneakers" and turn off the "big
screen TV"? and buy health insurance instead?

The cost is prohibitive. My wife and I could make a choice at any time to
retire. It wouldn't require much reorganizing of things to live a simpler, but
acceptably comfortable lifestyle for just about forever. We don't seriously
consider it for two reasons. 1) We both enjoy our work. 2) Health insurance.

We have looked into private health insurance in our state. $1000 deductible
plans for healthy adults in their early 50's run about $500 a month. *Each*.
The cost goes up at age 55, and again at age 60, and can go up in any
particular year when the health insurance companies decide their costs have
increased too much or their profits haven't increased enough.

You forgot to mention one of the greatest sources of increased premiums;
Increased payouts due to increases in damages awarded by overzealous
lawsuits, and a legal system which favors putting the screws to a large
company to pay for claims that exceed normal allowances for "pain and
suffering".

We could probably handle a giesel a month, but who wants to be in a position of

having to return to work 5 or six years from now because health insurance costs
have gone from $1000 a month to $2800?

So think of the poor mini-wage family.
Poppa, Mama, three or four kids...... probably $1200 to $1500 a month locally
(for health insurance that doesn't have such a ridiculously high deductible
that for most poor people with minor illnesses it would be a moot point whether
they had insurance or not).

Pretty tough to write even a single person a take-home check for $200-300 a
week and expect him to run out and buy a health insurance policy for $500 a
month.

So the observation is correct. The poor do have access to health insurance- but
not health insurance *and* groceries, rent, transportation, clothing, etc. "Big
screen TV's and $150 sneakers" aren't keeping the poor from health coverage, in
spite of the derogatory sterotypes.

The costs are high. So what do we do about it?

Dave

Gould 0738 July 15th 03 06:09 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

The costs are high. So what do we do about it?

Dave

You won't like my answer.

1) Face the fact that the uninsured are currently being treated at the expense
of the rest of society in the US, at very expensive hospital emergency rooms.

2) Reinvigorate the Public Health services gutted by the present and previous D
and R adminsitrations kow-towing to the medical lobbies

-or-

3) Formalize the de-facto public funding of health care services and institute
strict cost controls.

#3 could work, but people who think Karl Marx is the guy with the moustache,
the cigar and the three goofy brothers will say "socialism".

#3 could work, but people who think Karl Marx is the guy with the moustache,
the cigar and the three goofy brothers will say "socialism".

The problem with this, or any other "socialist" solutions, is that when
you place tight cost controls, you remove the incentive for many people
to choose the health services as a career. If healthcare workers become
the same as teachers, what will happen to the quality of our care?

Dave

Gould 0738 July 16th 03 05:19 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

and is anybody taking notice of north korea's actions weighted against what
is being said about iraq?

North Korea will get its turn, at least according to the New American Century
game plan.

Bush needed to do Iraq first. There's an election coming up, and all his Texas
big oil funders had to have some reason to open their checkbooks. Remember what
happened to the price of gas the last time GWB ran for office?

Gould 0738 July 16th 03 08:19 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

NOYB equivocated:

Remember, the key statement in Bush's speech was "the British Government has
learned...". Since MI6 *still* stands by their original intelligence, then
Bush's statement is 100% accurate.

Depends on your definition of "is". Really.

Do you see some sort of major moral difference between simply making a false
statement and repeating a statement (known to you and your advisors to be
false) made by somebody else to achieve the same effect?

You can weasel around and say, "But Bush himself was not informed! He's too
stupid to follow intelligence briefings from the CIA! His staff and cabinet
were able to hide the facts from him!" Fine. If so, should such a man be
POTUS? And even so, the SOTU speech is a speech outlining the positions of the
Bush Administration, was written by the Administration, and Bush is ultimately
responsible for the actions and activities of his underlings.

Where the moral high ground now? You Bush fans ought to be ashamed to defend
this bald faced manipulation.

Gould 0738 July 16th 03 08:31 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

It means he is sticking by his original statement that Iraq was trying to
buy uranium from Niger "according to British Government intelligence data".

"Trying to buy" (and being told "no') doesn't make a country an imminent
nuclear threat.

(sound of phone ringing)

1: "Hello, President of Nigeria? This is Saddam Hussein. Long time no see. Did
you get that container full of hand woven rugs I sent you for your palace?"

2: "Saddam! How have you been? That golf swing of yours still as bad as ever?
Yeah, I got the carpets, but you need to knock that sort of stuff off. People
might talk."

1:"Well, the main reason I called was to see if you've got any excess uranium
lying around that I could buy sort of under the table."

2: "Oh, hell, Saddam. You know we can't sell you uranium. It's been illegal
since 1991. Let's talk about something else.
Isn't it your birthday soon? I'll have my presidential bakery put together
something nice for you, to show you how much I appreciate the bribe, er I mean
"gift" of carpeting. Do you like chocolate?"

1: "Well, if it's all the same to you, I'd prefer a yellow cake."

(Next day we'd have the WH announcing absolute proof that yellow cake had been
shipped from Niger to Iraq.) :-)

NOYB July 16th 03 08:34 PM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
NOYB equivocated:

Remember, the key statement in Bush's speech was "the British Government

has
learned...". Since MI6 *still* stands by their original intelligence,

then
Bush's statement is 100% accurate.

Depends on your definition of "is". Really.

Do you see some sort of major moral difference between simply making a

false
statement and repeating a statement (known to you and your advisors to be
false) made by somebody else to achieve the same effect?

You can weasel around and say, "But Bush himself was not informed! He's

too
stupid to follow intelligence briefings from the CIA!

Bush *was* informed. Tenet already said it was his fault the line wasn't
pulled from the speech. The CIA reviewed the speech beforehand and didn't
have him pull it.

His staff and cabinet
were able to hide the facts from him!" Fine. If so, should such a man be
POTUS? And even so, the SOTU speech is a speech outlining the positions

of the
Bush Administration, was written by the Administration, and Bush is

ultimately
responsible for the actions and activities of his underlings.

Where the moral high ground now? You Bush fans ought to be ashamed to

defend
this bald faced manipulation.

Hogwash.

FACT: MI6 said Iraq was trying to buy uranium from Niger.

FACT: Tenet and the CIA couldn't confirm nor deny that report.

FACT: Bush stated "the British government has learned that Saddam Hussein
recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."

FACT: Even today, MI6 says their original assessment was accurate.

So where's the lie? Where's the "manipulation"? Hmmmmm?

Gould 0738 July 16th 03 08:48 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

So where's the lie? Where's the "manipulation"? Hmmmmm?

You'll never know. You'd have to open your mind as well as your eyes to see it.
:-)

Doug Kanter July 16th 03 08:57 PM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message

And even so, the SOTU speech is a speech outlining the positions of the
Bush Administration, was written by the Administration, and Bush is

ultimately
responsible for the actions and activities of his underlings.

Delegation of responsibility, according to Nookular Boy: The buck stops
here, except when I want it to stop somewhere else.

Gould 0738 July 17th 03 07:21 AM

Were trailers full of hot air?

HOT AIR SHMAIR!

There's plenty of hot air, and little else, in come of the commitments being
made to our men and women in the armed forces.

Guess its time for the left to break out the "Support Our Troops" signs.
Probably get a good deal on them, second hand, from some WH staffers who
certainly don't need them anymore.

According to the following item, there are a handful of specific GI's who will
be spending the rest of their (probably short) military careers on latrine
duty. They must really be upset to throw their careers away by talking so
frankly with a reporter.

That liberal news source, ABC, reports:

FALLUJAH, Iraq (July 16) -- The sergeant at the 2nd Battle Combat Team
Headquarters pulled me aside in the corridor. "I've got my own 'Most Wanted'
list," he told me.

He was referring to the deck of cards the U.S. government published, featuring
Saddam Hussein, his sons and other wanted members of the former Iraqi regime.

"The aces in my deck are Paul Bremer, Donald Rumsfeld, George Bush and Paul
Wolfowitz," he said.

He was referring to the four men who are running U.S. policy here in Iraq --
the four men who are ultimately responsible for the fate of U.S. troops here.

Those four are not popular at 2nd BCT these days. It is home to 4,000 troops
from the 2nd Brigade of the Army's 3rd Infantry Division.

The soldiers were deployed to Kuwait last September. They were among the first
troops in Baghdad during the war. And now they've been in the region longer
than other troops: 10 months and counting.

They were told they'd be going home in May. Then in early July. Then late July.
Then last week they heard that Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld had
mentioned them on Capitol Hill.

"The 2nd Brigade is — the plan is that they would return in August, having
been there something like 10 months," said Rumsfeld.

He added: "The services and the Joint Staff have been working with Central
Command to develop a rotation plan so that we can, in fact, see that we treat
these terrific young men and young women in a way that's respectful of their
lives and their circumstances."

Solid words from a solid source. Soldiers called their families. Commanding
officers began preparations.

‘I Don’t Care Anymore’

Now comes word from the Pentagon: Not so fast.

The U.S. military command in Iraq said Tuesday it plans to complete the
withdrawal of the Army's 3rd Infantry Division by September, but officials said
they could make no hard promises because of the unsettled state of security in
Baghdad and elsewhere in Iraq.

"If Donald Rumsfeld were sitting here in front of us, what would you say to
him?" I asked a group of soldiers who gathered around a table, eager to talk to
a visiting reporter.

"If he was here," said Pfc. Jason Punyahotra, "I would ask him why we're still
here, why we've been told so many times and it's changed."

In the back of the group, Spc. Clinton Deitz put up his hand. "If Donald
Rumsfeld was here," he said, "I'd ask him for his resignation."

Those are strong words from troops used to following orders. They say they will
continue to do their job, but they no longer seem to have their hearts in the
mission.

"I used to want to help these people," said Pfc. Eric Rattler, "but now I don't
really care about them anymore. I've seen so much, you know, little kids
throwing rocks at you. Once you pacify an area, it seems like the area you just
came from turns bad again. I'd like this country to be all right, but I don't
care anymore."

Wondering Why

What they care about is their families. Sgt. Terry Gilmore had to call his
wife, Stacey, this week to her that he wouldn't be home in a few weeks to see
her and their two little children.

"When I told her, she started crying," Gilmore said, his eyes moistening. "I
mean, I almost started crying. I felt like my heart was broken. We couldn't
figure out why they do it. Why they can keep us over here right after they told
us we were coming home."

Sgt. Felipe Vega, who oversees the platoon, sat alone in the platoon quarters,
writing a letter. A photo of his wife, Rhonda, was taped to the wall above him.

It is Vega's job to maintain morale. That's not easy, he told me, when the Army
keeps changing the orders.

"They turn around and slap you in the face," he said.

When asked if that's the way it feels, he said, "Yeah, kicked in the guts,
slapped in the face."

Losing Faith

The 2nd Brigade originally came to Kuwait for six months of exercises. Then
they stayed to fight the war. Like the others, Vega thought that would be the
end of it.

"What was told to us in Kuwait," he said, "was the fastest way to go home was
through Baghdad. And that's what we did."

But more than three months later they are still here.

"Well it pretty much makes me lose faith in the Army," said Pfc. Jayson
Punyhotra, one of the soldiers grouped around the table. "I mean, I don't
really believe anything they tell me. If they told me we were leaving next
week, I wouldn't believe them."

Fighting words from men who are eager to put down their weapons. Â*

Copyright 2003 ABC News.Â* All rights reserved. This material may not be
published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Dave Hall July 17th 03 12:03 PM

Gould 0738 wrote:

So where's the lie? Where's the "manipulation"? Hmmmmm?

You'll never know. You'd have to open your mind as well as your eyes to see it.
:-)

Make that your immagination. Because that's all you have to speculate
with right now.

Dave

JohnH July 17th 03 01:09 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 04:51:01 GMT, "Kathryn Simpson"
wrote:

"ralph" wrote in message
but don't forget, clinton lied about a blowjob. therefore it

was all his
fault. that's why bush got elected by such a landslide over

gore.

I'm sorry, I thought we were discussing the Bush Administration
and it's policies. Why bring Clinton into it? Or Gore?

Can't you deal with current events?

You go girl!!

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

JohnH July 17th 03 01:16 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 04:29:52 GMT, "Kathryn Simpson"
wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Uh...how about Afghanistan and Iraq, for starters, eh?

So you think the Iraqi people are better off with Hussein? Come
on, even the liberals aren't spouting that nonsense!

Texas is a pretty big place, bigger than the area devastated by

a dirty
bomb. Under Bush, Texas devolved into an environmental disaster

zone.

I asked you for an example of where in Texas Bush has created
more humanitarian and environmental damage than a dirty bomb
would create. Do you have an answer for that or just more
rhetoric?

You will find that many of the folks here do nothing more than blow rhetoric.
When logic and reason get them backed into a corner, they start a new thread
with...more rhetoric. Keep up the good words.

Doug Kanter July 17th 03 02:44 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

"Dave Hall" wrote in message

If a doctor needs to make $1.5mm a year, fine. But that doctor should

earn that
kind of money because he or she is specially worth it, rather than

simply
because "Oh, well, that person's a doctor and that's the going market".

I'd rather a doctor get paid 1.5 mill, than some sports "star".

Dave

At no point in a person's life does he/she NEED to consult with a sports
star. Their incomes are whatever someone's silly enough to pay them. Not the
same as a doctor.

Gould 0738 July 17th 03 02:58 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

Make that your immagination. Because that's all you have to speculate
with right now.

Dave

Dave, Dave, Dave. Is there any hope for you at all?

Read the friggin speech. Just run a search engine for State fo the Union
Speech. In the last 40% of the speech he associates
SH with nuclear weapons at least a half dozen times. Don't take my word for it,
go look at the actual words of the POTUS. Read what he said, not what Rush
Limbaugh now tells you he said.

The implications are repeated, and deliberate. You think a reference to a
"mushroom cloud" isn't manipulative?

Gould 0738 July 17th 03 03:12 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

Given the choice, where do you think the brightest and best qualified
medical personell would choose to work? What questions would that raise
about the disparity in healthcare between the two? How long until the
left starts screaming about the unequal healthcare access for the

There is no doubt that somebody would try to make an issue of of the fact that
a Public Health Hospital (once common in this country) didn't deliver the same
level of customized, boutique medical attention available at "Sky's the Limit
Clinic."

Probably as good an excuse as any for the
hard hearted factions on the right to justify
doing *nothing*, (except allowing the private insurance companies they all hold
stock in to remain obscenely profitable and charge predatory rates).

I'd rather a doctor get paid 1.5 mill, than some sports "star".

Dave

I'd rather attract some people to the profession who were interested in the
practice of medicine for reasons not associated with being in the top .01% of
American wage earners.

In most communities, you can live in a very fine home, vacation a few times a
year, own a boat, a couple of cars, and put away plenty for an early and
comfortable retirement on no more than $300-400 thousand a year. Why a guy
thinks he needs five times that amount is beyond me.NOT THAT HE SHOULDN"T BE
FREE TO EARN IT IF HE CAN- but it shouldn't be considered normal compensation
for
a 9-5 flu and sniffles pediatrician.

NOYB July 17th 03 04:54 PM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
So where's the lie? Where's the "manipulation"? Hmmmmm?

You'll never know. You'd have to open your mind as well as your eyes to

see it.
:-)

Open minded, eh? That's the problem with liberals...they're so open-minded
that very often their brains fall out. ;)

*Pretend* I'm open-minded...then answer my question:
"Where's the lie?"

NOYB July 17th 03 04:59 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

No, it's not "manipulative". According to ours and the Brits' intelligence
services, Hussein has been trying to get his hands on nukes for years. MI6
has said that he tried to acquire uranium from Niger. CIA couldn't confirm
nor deny that specific report. However, the CIA's position was also that he
was actively trying to maintain and enlarge his stock of WMD's...including
nukes.

Unfortunately, when dealing with nukes, you can't wait for the mushroom
cloud as "proof" that the guy was up to no good.

Dave Hall July 17th 03 05:34 PM

Gould 0738 wrote:

Make that your immagination. Because that's all you have to speculate
with right now.

Dave

Dave, Dave, Dave. Is there any hope for you at all?

Read the friggin speech. Just run a search engine for State fo the Union
Speech. In the last 40% of the speech he associates
SH with nuclear weapons at least a half dozen times. Don't take my word for it,
go look at the actual words of the POTUS. Read what he said, not what Rush
Limbaugh now tells you he said.

The implications are repeated, and deliberate. You think a reference to a
"mushroom cloud" isn't manipulative?

I'm not arguing that he said those things. I'm arguing the point where
you automatically assume that they're false, without any evidence, other
than a few sound bytes to go on.

Dave

Kathryn Simpson July 17th 03 07:18 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

"JohnH" wrote in message
You go girl!!

Thanks, but I didn't realize I was posting here. I noticed the
crossposts to several groups a few minutes ago and just wanted to
come in and apologize for intruding on rec.boats.

If ya'll would like to continue the discussion, try
news:misc.news.internet.discuss .

Thanks and again, sorry for the intrusion.

--

Regards of the NW,
Kathy

JohnH July 17th 03 07:19 PM

Were trailers full of hot air?

On 17 Jul 2003 17:48:47 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

[Most snipped]

In the next paragragh, Bush again portrays SH as an emerging nuclear power. A
dictator "assembling the world's most dangerous weapons". He finishes with a
few sentences of cheap, graphic references to horrific torture procedures to
further demonize Hussein. ((Hussein probably is/was a real *******, I'm not
disputing that, only pointing out the techniques with which we were decived and
manipulated in the SOTU speech)

"The dictator who is assembling the world's most dangerous weapons has already
used them on whole villages -- leaving thousands of his own citizens dead,
blind, or disfigured. Iraqi refugees tell us how forced confessions are
obtained -- by torturing children while their parents are made to watch.
International human rights groups have catalogued other methods used in the
torture chambers of Iraq: electric shock, burning with hot irons, dripping acid
on the skin, mutilation with electric drills, cutting out tongues, and rape. If
this is not evil, then evil has no meaning. (Applause.)"

I didn't spend a lot of time reading your analysis of each paragraph, thank God.
I went to the bottom to see your line of 'reasoning' about the last paragraph.
You state, "In the next paragraph, Bush again portrays SH as an emerging nuclear
power." Where? Bush refers to, "...the world's most dangerous weapons...used
them on whole villages." This is not a reference to nuclear weapons, unless SH
used some nukes that no one knows of.

"...thousands of his own citizens dead, blind, or disfigured. ...torturing
children..." These are what you call, "...cheap, graphic references .. to
further demonize Hussein." He may have been demonizing SH, but not without
cause. SH was/is a demon. I cannot, for the life of me, see how you can put down
anyone for demonizing him. Did you feel manipulated? Do you honestly believe SH
was a good guy in disguise? If he really was a bad guy, then the pronouncement
of same is not 'manipulation'.

I'm glad Bush didn't wake up and say, "It's a sunny day in Washington, D.C.
today." All you folks would be searching for that one cloud to make him a liar.
Face it, you'd be much happier if you just wrote, "I hate Bush, I hate Bush, I
hate Bush, ..." ad infinitum.

Doug Kanter July 17th 03 07:19 PM

"Kathryn Simpson" wrote in message
Thanks, but I didn't realize I was posting here. I noticed the
crossposts to several groups a few minutes ago and just wanted to
come in and apologize for intruding on rec.boats.

If ya'll would like to continue the discussion, try
news:misc.news.internet.discuss .

Thanks and again, sorry for the intrusion.

Hmm. Interesting timing. :-)