Wayne.B

Default Calling All Gearheads

Interesting stuff, thanks Rick. All things that I've never had to
deal with on any of my sailboat diesels, or VW Rabbit. :-)

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 21:40:26 GMT, Rick
wrote:

There are large air start receivers that store air compressed to around
300 psi. The engine has an air start manifold that delivers this air to
an air start valve on each cylinder. An air start distributor supplys a
control air signal to the air start valve on the appropriate cylinder to
open the air start valve and allow air to enter the cylinder and push
the piston down.

There are multiple large air compressors to keep the air start receivers
pumped up at all times.

Those engines burn "heavy oil" or "black oil" except when manueuvering
into or out of port. The heavy oil must be heated to around 210 degrees
to provide the viscosity needed for injection and proper atomization but
will congeal if allowed to cool. When maneuvering diesel oil is used as
it cleans out the lines of heavy oil which would (nearly) solidify in
the lines and pumps.

There is a mixing tank which allows the gradual changeover between heavy
oil and diesel oil.

Rick

JDavis1277

What? No FBM OPs?

Butch
FRANKWBELL

In article .rogers.com,
"Paul" writes:

Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm
Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm

Just boggles the mind.

Yeah, but what's the hole shot like?

Frank Bell

Rural Knight

"FRANKWBELL" wrote in message
In article .rogers.com,
"Paul" writes:

Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm
Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm

Just boggles the mind.

Yeah, but what's the hole shot like?

Zero to .01 mph in 3,000 feet.

Rick

JDavis1277 wrote:
What? No FBM OPs?

Butch

Hmmmmph ... no need to be insulting 8-)

They offered nukes as an incentive to stay in and I made one trip on the
Woodrow Wilson 624 but all that did was confirm that those girls just
rode around on skimmers that submerge.

Diesel Boats Forever

Rick

Greg O

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
Dang, I just thought they had a bunch of divers, grab and spin the prop to
start the motor. Sork of like the old John Deere's with the finger grips

on
the flywheel.
Bill

Like this one??
http://www.myweb.cableone.net/goo1959/jd.htm#A
Greg

Steve Barker

Nice, Greg.

--
Steve
=======================
"Greg O" wrote in message

Like this one??
http://www.myweb.cableone.net/goo1959/jd.htm#A
Greg

Steve Barker

Depends on the gearing. Could be impressive if done right. Now stopping it
would be another story.

--
Steve