NOYB

Default OT--More bias in the press

The headline from an AP report reads "Marines Kill 25 Iraqis in Ramadi
Clashes".

But when you read the article, you find out that most of the dead were
"non-iraqi" insurgents...and Iraqi forces helped our Marines kill the
non-Iraqis.

We're not fighting Iraqis in Iraq. We're fighting Syrians, and Saudis, and
Iranians, and...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._re_mi_ea/iraq

W.T. Hatch

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:53:12 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

The headline from an AP report reads "Marines Kill 25 Iraqis in Ramadi
Clashes".

Sir:

The headline on the link you provided reads. "Marines Kill 25 Insurgents in
Ramadi."

Why did you quote it differently?

Most sincerely,
W.T. Hatch

But when you read the article, you find out that most of the dead were
"non-iraqi" insurgents...and Iraqi forces helped our Marines kill the
non-Iraqis.

We're not fighting Iraqis in Iraq. We're fighting Syrians, and Saudis, and
Iranians, and...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._re_mi_ea/iraq

NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:

The headline from an AP report reads "Marines Kill 25 Iraqis in Ramadi
Clashes".

But when you read the article, you find out that most of the dead were
"non-iraqi" insurgents...and Iraqi forces helped our Marines kill the
non-Iraqis.

We're not fighting Iraqis in Iraq. We're fighting Syrians, and Saudis,

and
Iranians, and...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._re_mi_ea/iraq

I read the piece. Please point out where it says that most of those
being killed in Iraq these days are non-Iraqis. Please point out a
legitimate source that delineates the day in Iraq in terms of their
country of natural origin. Please point out those Middle Eastern
countries bordering Iraq where all borders are fully protected and Arab
people don't wander back and forth at will. Please point our a
legitimate source that provides proof Iraq is run by anything more than
more than a chaotic collection of mini-Saddams, appointed bureaucrats,
city-states, and territories where the non-existent national government
there fears to tred.

Please point out where the headline says that it wasn't just Iraqis who were
killed. Please point out where the headline says that Iraqi forces also
helped kill the insurgents.

A proper headline would have read: "Marines and Iraqi forces kill 25 enemy
insurgents".

Or: "Coalition forces kill 25 enemy forces"

Instead, we get: "Marines kill 25 Iraqis".

What a joke. What's even sadder is that you don't see anything wrong with
biased and misleading news headlines.

Harry Krause

NOYB wrote:

A proper headline would have read: "Marines and Iraqi forces kill 25 enemy
insurgents".

I'd be careful about using the word insurgent. A majoritu of Iraqis want
us the hell out of their country. At some point, the "insurgents" may
become, in the minds of the Iraqi people, "freedom fighters."

Your knowledge of the Arab mindset and the Middle East in general is
about what one might expect from a sheltered, 33-year-old dentist who
lives in backwater Florida.

--
A vote for Nader is a vote for Bush;
A vote for Bush is a vote for Apocalypse.
NOYB

NOYB wrote:

A proper headline would have read: "Marines and Iraqi forces kill 25

enemy
insurgents".

I'd be careful about using the word insurgent. A majoritu of Iraqis want
us the hell out of their country. At some point, the "insurgents" may
become, in the minds of the Iraqi people, "freedom fighters."

In the minds of the Iraqi people? More like in the headlines of the liberal
press. The same headline in the NY Times probably would have read:

"Blood-thirsty US Marines murder 25 Iraqis"

Harry Krause

NOYB wrote:

A proper headline would have read: "Marines and Iraqi forces kill 25

enemy
insurgents".

I'd be careful about using the word insurgent. A majoritu of Iraqis want
us the hell out of their country. At some point, the "insurgents" may
become, in the minds of the Iraqi people, "freedom fighters."

In the minds of the Iraqi people? More like in the headlines of the liberal
press. The same headline in the NY Times probably would have read:

"Blood-thirsty US Marines murder 25 Iraqis"

It's obvious you don't read much.

--
A vote for Nader is a vote for Bush;
A vote for Bush is a vote for Apocalypse.
NOYB

"W.T. Hatch" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:53:12 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

The headline from an AP report reads "Marines Kill 25 Iraqis in Ramadi
Clashes".

Sir:

The headline on the link you provided reads. "Marines Kill 25 Insurgents

in
Ramadi."

Why did you quote it differently?

Most sincerely,
W.T. Hatch

Holy ****! It said "Iraqis" an hour ago! At least the Guardian has the
headline the way it was originally written:

"Marines Kill 25 Iraqis in Ramadi Clashes "

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlates...338926,00.html

Marines Kill 25 Iraqis in Ramadi Clashes

Thursday July 22, 2004 2:31 PM

AP Photo MAC101

By PAUL GARWOOD

Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) - U.S. Marines killed 25 insurgents and captured 25
others during several hours of fierce fighting in Ramadi, a hotbed of the
insurgency against U.S. and Iraqi forces, the American military said
Thursday.

The fighting Wednesday in Ramadi, 70 miles west of Baghdad, wounded 14
U.S. servicemen, but none of the injuries were life-threatening. Ten of the
wounded subsequently returned to duty, the Marines said.

In Baghdad, insurgents fought U.S. soldiers on Haifa Street, the scene
of a shootout earlier this month, an unidentified hospital official told
Associated Press Television News. Two Iraqis were reported wounded.

Interior Ministry official Sabah Khadum said Iraqi police and
intelligence forces arrested 200 people, including several ``non-Iraqi
Arabs,'' during the Haifa Street operation and discovered a huge cache of
weapons. U.S. and Iraqi officials have long complained that fighters from
neighboring countries are battling coalition forces.

Meanwhile, Indian officials in Baghdad worked with Egypt and Kenya to
free three Indians, three Kenyans and an Egyptian, whose kidnapping was
announced Wednesday, an Indian official said from New Delhi on condition of
anonymity.

The Kenyan government has called for all of its citizens to leave Iraq
immediately.

One of the Indian hostages appeared on video broadcast on Indian
television stations. He identified his employer as Kuwait and Gulf Link, or
KGL. The video also showed the Egyptian hostage speaking and one of the
Kenyans speaking in English.

``KGL sent us by force to Iraq. Now they (the captors) have caught us.
They say we are siding with America. Along with us, our trucks have also
been seized,'' the hostage, identified as Tilak Raj by Aaj Tak news
television, said. ``We are being treated well. They are giving us food and
drink. We are three Indians, three Kenyans and one Egyptian.''

Pictures released on Wednesday showed only six hostages.

The group holding the seven said it would behead a captive every 72
hours beginning Saturday night if their countries did not announce
intentions to withdraw troops and citizens from Iraq, and it warned that
every Kuwaiti company dealing with Americans ``will be dealt with as an
American.''

The threat came two days after the Philippines withdrew its 51
peacekeepers from Iraq, acquiescing to the demands of militants holding a
Filipino truck driver. Angelo dela Cruz returned to the Philippines on
Thursday, two days after his release.

Iraqi and U.S. officials warned of a potential surge in threats and
abductions when the Philippines withdrew its troops. Egypt, Kenya and India
are not part of the 160,000-member U.S.-led coalition. However, interim
Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi appealed last week to India and Egypt for
troops.

The daylong clashes in Ramadi began after insurgents detonated a
roadside bomb near a Marine convoy Wednesday afternoon in an ambush attempt.
As many as 10 Iraqi fighters then attacked Marines with small arms and
rocket-propelled grenades.

That skirmish led to ensuing engagements pitting members of the 1st
Brigade Combat team against an estimated 75-100 insurgents, the Marines'
statement said.

American ground forces backed by U.S. warplanes clashed with
insurgents for hours, during which time the Marines safely detonated two
homemade bombs, including one placed in a car.

Twenty-five insurgents died in the fighting and another 17 were
wounded, the statement said.

Ramadi is located in Anbar Province, a Sunni-dominated area west of
the Iraqi capital which has been a hotbed of anti-coalition insurgency.

Marines spokesman Lt. Col. T.V. Johnson said the situation in Ramadi
was ``relatively quiet'' Thursday and ``Marines continue to operate from
bases within the city, as they have since arriving early this year.''

Ramadi shopkeepers were seen shuttering their stores Thursday,
apparently in fear of more clashes.

``We were told by the opposition (insurgents) to close our shops and
leave the area because there would be fighting in the market,'' said
Mohammed Medhat, owner of a grocery store in Ramadi's central market area.
``I'm a father. I need to earn money to feed my children. We can't keep
living with this fighting.''

There were no immediate reports of U.S. deaths Thursday. On Wednesday,
the death toll of American troops in Iraq since the war started in 2003
reached 900 after a roadside bomb north of Baghdad killed one U.S. 1st
Infantry Division soldier.

India on Thursday called for the swift release of three Indian truck
drivers captured with three Kenyans and one Egyptian, saying the Indians had
nothing to do with the war. A militant group calling itself ``The Holders of
the Black Banners'' took responsibility for their capture.

``We are in touch with authorities in Baghdad and Kuwait and are
making all efforts to ensure an early and safe release of the hostages,''
Indian External Affairs Minister K. Natwar Singh said in Islamabad,
Pakistan. ``The hostages are noncombatants, and I appeal to all those who
have influence to assist in ensuring the safe return home of these innocent
people.''

Egyptian presidential spokesman Magad Abdel Fattah said his country's
diplomats were trying to find out more information about the kidnappings and
trying to win their release.

``We are dealing with all the political leaders, we are dealing with
all the religious leaders, we are dealing with everyone we know,'' he told
the AP on Thursday.

Rana Abu-Zaineh, manpower planning manager of the KGL Transport Co.,
confirmed from Kuwait that seven company employees were kidnapped in Iraq.

``The most important thing for KGL is that the seven people arrive
here safely and talk to their relatives, whatever that takes,'' she told the
AP in Kuwait.

NOYB

NOYB wrote:

A proper headline would have read: "Marines and Iraqi forces kill 25

enemy
insurgents".

I'd be careful about using the word insurgent. A majoritu of Iraqis

want
us the hell out of their country. At some point, the "insurgents" may
become, in the minds of the Iraqi people, "freedom fighters."

In the minds of the Iraqi people? More like in the headlines of the

liberal
press. The same headline in the NY Times probably would have read:

"Blood-thirsty US Marines murder 25 Iraqis"

It's obvious you don't read much.

Harry,
to now read "Insurgents".

Here's the first link:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._re_mi_ea/iraq

Here's a Guardian link of the way it was originally written:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlates...338926,00.html

I'm paranoid, right?!?!?

Harry Krause

NOYB wrote:

[...]

Way back when, before you were born, I was a reporter and then a desk
editor for a major newspaper. Part of my job was to take wire service
copy, edit it, and write headlines to fit the paper's style. In those
days, and perhaps even now, the paper required major news stories to
have decked headlines, with several subheads.

You apparently are under the delusion that a media outlet simply
publishes a news story the way it comes in over the transom.

As I have stated, you are young and have little experience of the world.

--
A vote for Nader is a vote for Bush;
A vote for Bush is a vote for Apocalypse.
DSK

NOYB wrote:
Holy ****! It said "Iraqis" an hour ago! At least the Guardian has the
headline the way it was originally written:

So, would you say that the Guardian is good source of non biased news?
If it *is* biased, which way?

ugly snicker

DSK

OT--More NY Times bias NOYB General 68 July 26th 04 02:32 PM
OT--More bias in the press Harry Krause General 0 July 22nd 04 04:00 PM
PRESS RELEASE New Marine Product Rogers News General 0 March 8th 04 08:33 PM
) OT ) Bush's "needless war" Jim General 3 March 7th 04 07:16 AM