me

Default OMC SternDrive Questions

I am new to boating and have the chance to buy a boat with a OMC 175 Cobra
stern drive.

1. Should I be concerned that OMC are no longer in business?

2. Is this motor a dependable motor.

3. Are part readilly available.

Anyone with and suggestion would be appreiciated.

Thanks
Noel

Noel

I think it is a 1995 or 96 model.

"Woodchuck" wrote in message
yes, maybe,maybe! What year?

"me" wrote in message
I am new to boating and have the chance to buy a boat with a OMC 175

Cobra
stern drive.

1. Should I be concerned that OMC are no longer in business?

2. Is this motor a dependable motor.

3. Are part readilly available.

Anyone with and suggestion would be appreiciated.

Thanks
Noel

Woodchuck

I stand on my answers.

"Noel" wrote in message
I think it is a 1995 or 96 model.

"Woodchuck" wrote in message
yes, maybe,maybe! What year?

"me" wrote in message
I am new to boating and have the chance to buy a boat with a OMC 175

Cobra
stern drive.

1. Should I be concerned that OMC are no longer in business?

2. Is this motor a dependable motor.

3. Are part readilly available.

Anyone with and suggestion would be appreiciated.

Thanks
Noel

N.L. Eckert

Noel wrote:
I think it is a 1995 or 96 model.
"Woodchuck" wrote in message
yes, maybe,maybe! What year?
"me" wrote in message
I am new to boating and have the chance to buy a boat with a OMC 175
Cobra stern drive.
1. Should I be concerned that OMC are no longer in business?
2. Is this motor a dependable motor.
3. Are part readilly available.
Anyone with and suggestion would be appreiciated.
Thanks
Noel
==================================
Not sure, but I think OMC and Volvo were using the same outdrive at
this time, so the parts should be available thru Volvo, if not thru OMC.

====
Norm

Boots Crofoot

no the Coba is OMC attempt to copy the merc. Penta has the
best drive and then merc and then maybe OMC
"N.L. Eckert" wrote in message
Noel wrote:
I think it is a 1995 or 96 model.
"Woodchuck" wrote in message
yes, maybe,maybe! What year?
"me" wrote in message
I am new to boating and have the chance to buy a boat with a
OMC 175
Cobra stern drive.
1. Should I be concerned that OMC are no longer in business?
2. Is this motor a dependable motor.
3. Are part readilly available.
Anyone with and suggestion would be appreiciated.
Thanks
Noel
==================================
Not sure, but I think OMC and Volvo were using the same
outdrive at
this time, so the parts should be available thru Volvo, if
not thru OMC.

====
Norm

N.L. Eckert

I think it is a 1995 or 96 model.
"Woodchuck" wrote in message
yes, maybe,maybe! What year?
"me" wrote in message
I am new to boating and have the chance to buy a boat with a OMC 175
Cobra stern drive.
1. Should I be concerned that OMC are no longer in business?
2. Is this motor a dependable motor.
3. Are part readilly available.
Anyone with and suggestion would be appreiciated.
Thanks
Noel
At some point in the 1990s, OMC, Merc, and Volvo eliminated the
clutch dog and went to the wet, cone clutch,. OMC and Volvo
collaborated together to design a lower unit to be used on both of their
drive lines. What year this took place, I don't recall, but if the
engine in question has the cone clutch, it is an identical lower unit
to the Volvo and the parts would be inter changeable. I don't know if
it would apply to the basic engine or not....
====
Happy boating, Norm