basskisser

Default OT Bush losing Republican voters

This pretty much tells the story:

Bush loses a lifelong Republican

Joan Ryan
Thursday, July 8, 2004

My parents, like all parents who grew up in New York, live in Florida.
They have voted down-the-line Republican in every election since they
came of age. Despite their shared Catholicism, they couldn't stand
John or Bobby Kennedy. Don't even talk to them about Ted. They still
believe Nixon got a raw deal. Needless to say, they supported the Bush
brothers in their respective elections, George for president and Jeb
for governor.

But a funny thing has happened on the way to the 2004 election. George
Bush is managing to do what no politician has done before him -- drive
my mother and father and others like them from their well-worn seats
on the GOP bus.

"I can't vote for him,'' my father said as we sat in the Florida room
of their adult-community condo. I nearly dropped the bottle of beer I
had pressed to my forehead. ("What, you're hot?'' my mother had asked.
The air conditioning was indeed on, as she assured me it was, set to a
frosty 80 degrees.)

"He completely underestimated how the Iraqis would respond,'' my
father said. We generally avoid politics when I visit. I'm from the
gay-marrying, war- protesting, Michael Moore-loving republic of the
San Francisco Bay Area. We tend to limit our current-events
discussions to the Giants' chances in the National League West.

"They thought all these people were going to jump up and praise
them,'' my father said. "There have been too many mistakes. We're
supposed to have control over there, and our boys keep getting killed.
It's a mishmash. The whole thing is a mishmash. He's backed himself
into a corner by trying to liberate a country, and the people don't
want you to be liberating them.''

His anger is about more than a difference of opinion with the
president about how and why he waged this particular war. There is a
corrosive quality to this presidency that has eaten away at what my
father believes his country stands for. Anecdotal evidence suggests he
is not alone. Republican leaders, however, will tell you the faithful
aren't wavering. As evidence, they point to a bipartisan poll
conducted for National Public Radio in May that found just 6 percent
of Republicans say they plan to vote for Democratic presidential
candidate John Kerry.

But the poll means little. It asked the wrong question. My father
would also have told them he doesn't plan to vote for Kerry. He'd cut
off his finger before using it to cast a vote for a limousine liberal
like Kerry. But his dislike for Kerry does not diminish his
disillusionment with Bush. He won't vote for either of them, he says,
leaving the top lines of his ballot blank for the first time in his
life.

"Maybe I'll write in your mother's name,'' he said.

America's bloody entry into Iraq, with the torture and beheadings and
charred bodies and gushing torrents of taxpayer money, is prompting a
nation to take stock of who it is and what it believes in. I want to
think that the war is diluting the blues and reds on the national
political maps, that people are sloughing off their color-coded cloaks
as Republicans and Democrats, conservatives and liberals, and
recognizing the common ideals that bind us as Americans.

Those ideals -- among them, compassion, freedom, diplomacy, liberty,
rule of law -- have been battered by a president who still can't
produce a compelling reason to have sent our men and women into battle
against a country that never attacked us. He tosses aside civil
liberties as if they were Kleenex, denies basic due process even to
American citizens -- a conceit the Supreme Court recently judged
unacceptable -- and believes the Geneva Conventions apply only when he
says they do.

My father has always enjoyed quoting the late Al Capp, the creator of
the comic strip "Li'l Abner,'' who defended his conservatism in the
1960s by saying that he was and always had been a moderate. He only
seemed conservative, he said, because the rest of the country had
shifted to the left. There was a code of living in Capp's world, and
in my father's. They believed in consistency bordering on stasis, even
if it meant becoming a walking anachronism in your own lifetime.

My father and others like him who have always been more or less
middle-of- the-road Republicans now feel out of step with this
Republican president. It is not because their own ideals have shifted
but because their president's have.

"It's terrible that in this country of so many good people,'' my
father said, "how an election can come down to the lesser of two
evils. You have to vote this time for who will do the least harm. Not
the most good, but the least harm.''

Sometimes we settle for a president who isn't inspiring or visionary
or all that brilliant. But we should never settle for one who
diminishes America by flouting its core ideals. The election is four
months away. My father could change his mind and, in the end, vote for
Bush.

But I'm hoping my mother's name shows up on at least one ballot in
Palm Beach County.
NOYB

"basskisser" wrote in message
m...

Palm Beach County.

He'd probably punch the wrong chad anyhow.

jps

In article , atl_man2
@yahoo.com says...

"I can't vote for him,'' my father said as we sat in the Florida room
of their adult-community condo.

Same reaction I got from a Kansas City based gentleman who, I believe,
always goes for the Republican side of the ballot.

I asked him if he'd vote for Kerry and he said "oh, no. I'll just stay
home."

jps
Doug Kanter

"jps" wrote in message
In article , atl_man2
@yahoo.com says...

"I can't vote for him,'' my father said as we sat in the Florida room
of their adult-community condo.

Same reaction I got from a Kansas City based gentleman who, I believe,
always goes for the Republican side of the ballot.

I asked him if he'd vote for Kerry and he said "oh, no. I'll just stay
home."

jps

Makes me wonder how Mario Cuomo would do right about now.......

Sailing Fan

My mother was a life long Republican. She was a school teacher. She
resisted unionization of her job in the early 1970's (despite making the
same salary for 4 years)...
Dad was a W.W.II vet. Captured by the Nazi's in Holland. Spent several
months in a POW camp in Poland, Stalag IIb (a very large, violent, old
camp full of some 15,000 Russians and Poles). Was liberated by the Red
Army in April of 1945. Was reunited with his original unit in Hanover,
Germany, ironically the same town his paternal grandparents had come
from 50 years prior...
They couldn't vote for Truman. They liked Ike. My maternal grandmother
spent many hours volunteering for Ike. They had no use for Kennedy or
Johnson. They mildly supported Nixon and Ford/Dole when they lost to
Carter. They mildly supported Reagan/Bush in 1980. They seemed neutral
in 1984. In 1988 they supported Dukakis mildly. What? What they hell
happened? I'm not exactly sure...Dad died in 1990. In 1992 mom was a
volunteer and activist for Clinton/Gore. In 1996, she stopped
volunteering, due to health issues. She cut a nice check instead. Same
in 2000. In 2004, despite a very frail body, mom is VERY active in
supporting Kerry. Why? The realization that they had spent a lifetime
supporting a corrupt and evil group of elitists who had moved their
party further and further to the right.
Mom is volunteering now because my older sister has a 17 year old son
and simply put, mom doesn't want to see him become cannon fodder for
BushCo's sensless war. That and all the other crap he's pulled...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"jps" wrote in message

In article , atl_man2
says...

"I can't vote for him,'' my father said as we sat in the Florida room
of their adult-community condo.

Same reaction I got from a Kansas City based gentleman who, I believe,
always goes for the Republican side of the ballot.

I asked him if he'd vote for Kerry and he said "oh, no. I'll just stay
home."

jps

Makes me wonder how Mario Cuomo would do right about now.......

Charles

Harry Krause wrote:

My Republican father-in-law

Which one?

-- Charlie
basskisser

"NOYB" wrote in message link.net...
"basskisser" wrote in message
m...

Palm Beach County.

He'd probably punch the wrong chad anyhow.

So, in your ignorant world, because a person lives in a certain
county, they are more likely to punch the wrong chad? Man, you are
stupid.
basskisser

Sailing Fan wrote in message ...
[...]

You should be proud of your parents. Unlike the blinded right wingers
that frequent here, they are intelligent enough to realize what The
Republican party has become, and are trying to change things.
Dave Hall

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 03:58:25 GMT, Sailing Fan wrote:

[...]

Perhaps it's easier than that. She's now collecting on the government
dole, and wants those in power who favor the continuation of those
types of programs. She won't have to worry about increases in income
tax, or the greater burdens that government sponsored healthcare will
place on currently working people.

Dave
Doug Kanter

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Sailing Fan wrote:
[...]

My Republican father-in-law is so disgusted with bush and Cheney, he
won't discuss politics, and politics is one of his favorite subjects.
I'm sure he won't vote for Kerry; my feeling is that he is going to sit
out this election.

My father won't discuss the current candidates, which is a far cry from 4
years ago when he thought Bush was way cool. All he'll say is he thinks that
all else being equal, it might not be a bad idea to elect someone who's so
wealthy that he's untouchable.